Norwegian Sky?s new port of call to Cuba ?Tourist Card? requirement

Does anyone know what UK passport holders need to do regarding obtaining the correct visa/tourist card?

Despite contacting them a few times now the information NCL have sent me is quite poor, including a link to arrange a US tourism visa (which I don't need as I can use ESTA), and a link to arrange a Cuban tourist visa within the UK through a company called CIBT, which from what I can gather will be invalid as such visas cannot be used if travelling directly from US to Cuba.

Does anyone know what UK passport holders need to do regarding obtaining the correct visa/tourist card?

Despite contacting them a few times now the information NCL have sent me is quite poor, including a link to arrange a US tourism visa (which I don't need as I can use ESTA), and a link to arrange a Cuban tourist visa within the UK through a company called CIBT, which from what I can gather will be invalid as such visas cannot be used if travelling directly from US to Cuba.

Did you try asking this on the UK cruise critic forum?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=683

My Cuban visa was purchased through NCL, and it was handed to me along with my room key card at the check-in counter. Even though it was perforated in the center, the Cuban customs agent took both sides of the visa when I disembarked the first time.

Going on and off the ship subsequently, all they did was look at my PP.......but I do not find that it was stamped.

David

We are on 22 May sailing. I printed, filled out the form, then scanned the signed form and emailed it back to NCL. I called and they verified they have it. The form is certification on why we are visiting Cuba. We paid NCL directly the $75 fee when we booked the cruise. According to a review of someone who went on the 1 May sailing, we receive the Visa when we check into the cruise terminal in Miami. When we arrive in Cuba, we go through customs and security in the Cuban terminal as we get off the ship. The Cuban official takes and keeps the Visa form and stamps our passport. Once the passport is stamped, we can go into Havana and back and forth off the ship with our passport for the remainder of our stay in Cuba. I believe I read on one of the role calls that someone did purchase the visa for $60 or $65 but I think it is worth my piece of mind to just pay NCL the fee. Hope this helps as you plan.

One more tidbit....the certification form I scanned and emailed back to NCL has to be given to NCL when we check I to the cruise in Miami. Apparently this has caused confusion from some passengers at check in who did not bring the originally signed formed with them. So put that form in your travel docs and take it with you to the cruise check in desk.

I had it, but was not asked to show it. At check-in there was a trio of musicians playing Cuban music. It was a very nice addition while waiting in line which took about 25-30 minutes around noon.

Once onboard, there was another musical group playing at the gangway.

David

P.S.

Thanks for the replies all.

The visa company NCL put me onto have today said that buying a visa in the UK and travelling on a cruise directly from US to Cuba would not be an issue, but given that if we travelled on a direct flight it would not be permitted, frankly I don't trust their advice.

It's clear that the process is relatively easy if you are a US citizen, but I'm just trying to find out if a UK passport holder could buy the visa via NCL when on the cruise.

The visa company NCL put me onto have today said that buying a visa in the UK and travelling on a cruise directly from US to Cuba would not be an issue, but given that if we travelled on a direct flight it would not be permitted, frankly I don't trust their advice.

It's clear that the process is relatively easy if you are a US citizen, but I'm just trying to find out if a UK passport holder could buy the visa via NCL when on the cruise.

I did some looking. Take a look at this forum and he links from it to lonely planet.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147271-i387-k9901309-Travel_to_Cuba_from_USA_as_a_non_US_citizen-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There were only 4 ships in port last Friday. I rolled off my luggage about 30 minutes after easy self assist was called. If I recall it was about 8:05 am. I was through the terminal at 8:25 and took Super Shuttle to MIA.

I sailed through the airport and was at my gate at 9:15 am for an 11:50 departure.

David

P.S. I would not suggest any flight before 11:30 am whether MIA, FLL, or SAN. I've worked at all of these ports, and I could write a book about the strange things that popped up that have caused delays between ship and airport.

I'm usually pretty self-sufficient with research, but this thread has me wanting confirmation:

- the people-to-people requirement is only for US citizens correct?

What about dual nationals? My husband is a Canadian citizen and will be travelling with a Canadian passport. does he require a people-to-people form, or not?

We've both bought visas through NCL and expect to collect them at the pier in Miami - anything else we need to do, in advance?

Thanks,

Stephen

I'm usually pretty self-sufficient with research, but this thread has me wanting confirmation:

- the people-to-people requirement is only for US citizens correct?

What about dual nationals? My husband is a Canadian citizen and will be travelling with a Canadian passport. does he require a people-to-people form, or not?

We've both bought visas through NCL and expect to collect them at the pier in Miami - anything else we need to do, in advance?

Thanks,

Stephen

IMO yes, your husband is traveling out of a US port. From what I have read due to that fact you have to have a visa with a signed affidavit. Which you can now do online at NCL. I think I posted a link in this thread to a trip advisor post with a link to lonely planet that has an article regarding foreign nationals traveling through a US port to Cuba. If it isn't in this thread I will post it.

Hope this helps.

We got our visas through NCL here in the UK - I just asked for them to arrange when I scanned & emailed the required forms back & within 10 minutes they emailed me back amended invoices with the visa charges on it - simples :)

IMO yes, your husband is traveling out of a US port. From what I have read due to that fact you have to have a visa with a signed affidavit. Which you can now do online at NCL. I think I posted a link in this thread to a trip advisor post with a link to lonely planet that has an article regarding foreign nationals traveling through a US port to Cuba. If it isn't in this thread I will post it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Stephen

One more tidbit....the certification form I scanned and emailed back to NCL has to be given to NCL when we check I to the cruise in Miami. Apparently this has caused confusion from some passengers at check in who did not bring the originally signed formed with them. So put that form in your travel docs and take it with you to the cruise check in desk.

We just returned from the May 8 Sky to Cuba, and having read your post, I had my affidavit ready, but the didn't collect it.

Also my Passport Was stamped in Cuba.