How to get to Maho Beach from port?

chuibaca

We went outside of the port area, there were many taxis, we told someone where we wanted to go. They told us to get into a van taxi & off we went. We were the last 2 needed to fill the van, I believe it was $8.00 per person to Maho.

Are there plenty of taxis leaving from Maho beach? I don't like to go off on our own - witnessed too many getting left due to various reasons and really don't want to deal with that headache. How easy is it to get a taxi back to port from Maho beach?

Are there plenty of taxis leaving from Maho beac ''? I don't like to go off on our own - witnessed too many getting left due to various reasons and really don't want to deal with that headache. How easy is it to get a taxi back to port from Maho beach?

Yes there were many, we got a driver along with another couple. He took us all around the island stopping at various locations. This was more expensive then just going straight back to the ship but we thought it was worth the $50.00 per couple. He even stopped so we could buy beer for the ride.

We went outside of the port area, there were many taxis, we told someone where we wanted to go. They told us to get into a van taxi & off we went. We were the last 2 needed to fill the van, I believe it was $8.00 per person to Maho.

I hope that you didn't actually go outside the port area to find a taxi, but just went off the pier proper to the Taxi Dispatch area.

Outside the Port gates, you may come across a swarm of unlicensed 'Gypsy' taxis, and there have been many documented problems with them.

Any licensed taxi on the Dutch side will have a license plate with TAXI 999 or such.

I've recently updated the taxi rates posted at the Dispatch Area in my PhotoBucket.

th_DSCN4624.jpg

(click)

gary

• Like 1

I hope that you didn't actually go outside the port area to find a taxi, but just went off the pier proper to the Taxi Dispatch area.

Outside the Port gates, you may come across a swarm of unlicensed 'Gypsy' taxis, and there have been many documented problems with them.

Any licensed taxi on the Dutch side will have a license plate with TAXI 999 or such.

I've recently updated the taxi rates posted at the Dispatch Area in my PhotoBucket.

th_DSCN4624.jpg

(click)

gary

I guess my outside is your inside. My thought was outside of the shops not outside the mail gate.

:)

Actually, it is off to the right of most of the shops, kind of behind the Administration building.

gary

Any problem getting one of these taxi's for the return trip from Maho back to the ship or dropped off in town and the cost pp they'll be 7 of us.? Thanks

One more question...We'll have a 4 year old with our group of 7 will we have to have a carseat to use this type of transportation.....we won't be bringing one with us on the cruise and this is the only time we'll need transportation to get to Maho....so which would work out easiest bus or taxi in this case.

You certainly can't count on a 'bus' providing a car seat, and remember it is just a 8-10 passenger van. Also, I think it is unlikely that a bus coming by would have 7 empty seats.

Tours (personal experience with Bernard and Joyce) will usually have a seat or two available. I SUSPECT that you can find a taxi that has one in the back, and you just let the Taxi Dispatcher know of your need.

All that said, I'm unsure if a car seat is REQUIRED for a 4-year old. I know that the law requires seat belt for driver and front seat passenger, but my recollection is that a car seat is only required for an infant, possibly up to some weight or height.

gary