Bahamas Shipyard Up and Running With 10 Ship Refits First Quarter 2017

Just received the following news item regarding the Bahamas Shipyard being up and running from Jan. 2017 with 10 ships scheduled in the yard during the first quarter of 2015.

It was reported earlier on CC that the scheduled Mariner refit for the first quarter of 2017 had to be moved to Europe due to the unavailability of the shipyard as facilities for workers were not available due to hurricane damage.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/refurb-interiors/grand-bahama-shipyard-docks-10-cruise-vessels-in-q1.html?utm_content=Grand%20Bahama%20Shipyard%20docks%2010%20cruise%20vessels%20in%20Q1&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Seatrade%20Cruise%20News&utm_contact=19900553&utm_term=Newsletter_Seatrade%20Cruise%20Weekly%20News&utm_campaign=115764

So am I missing something here? They're saying they're expecting Mariner in April, but I don't see any gaps in her schedule...well, a 2 day gap on the 9th and 10th, but I don't see them getting from Miami to the Bahamas and getting any work done in 2 days... :confused:

No, I was looking at '17 - I thought that was the scope of the article. Didn't see any reference to '18. Maybe someone slipped decaf into the office coffee supply? I'm confused.

It seems that the article (or whomever wrote it) was confused. You are right - it did make it sound like Regent was having a ship refurbished there this year. And, perhaps I misinterpreted the TS's comment. It sounded as if Regent did not need to change the refurbishment to 2018 in Europe because it could have been done in the Bahamas.

At this point, I question the veracity of the article. My guess is that Regent needed to make immediate decisions when the hurricane hit the area where the Mariner was due to be refurbished. They had to add new itineraries, etc. to cover the time the ship was suppose to be out of service. While hindsight is often 20/20, at the time, Regent likely made the decision to postpone the refurbishment based on information available at that time.

By the way, both Mariner re-positioning cruises for its 2018 dry dock recently dropped in price. The Rio to Barcelona trip is 11.1% less for an H cabin, and the Barcelona to Miami trip is 9.4% less.

(I also noticed two Navigator trips that dropped in price, both starting October 2017. NYC round trip is 24% less than its original fare for an H cabin, and NYC to Miami is 16% less.)

I suspect that some other itineraries also will be seeing price decreases. In terms of the Mariner, it is hard to tell if their low sales are due to the ship not being refurbished or just that less people are booking luxury cruises. Their Alaska sales are way down. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Perhaps it's something as simple as the cruising population have found a better/different option than Regent??? Looking at all the recent awards that Viking Ocean cruises have won perhaps people are finding a better option.......Viking are also all inclusive for meals and brand new ships which are very light and airy!!!

Just a thought........those Viking passengers have had to come from somewhere and I don't just think it's new passengers to cruising!!!

Perhaps it's something as simple as the cruising population have found a better/different option than Regent??? Looking at all the recent awards that Viking Ocean cruises have won perhaps people are finding a better option.......Viking are also all inclusive for meals and brand new ships which are very light and airy!!!

Just a thought........those Viking passengers have had to come from somewhere and I don't just think it's new passengers to cruising!!!

Interesting post. My question is why you would compare a luxury cruise line with a premium plus cruise line? IMO, it is difficult to compare the two. Even the alcoholic beverages that are included on Viking do not match up to the quality on Regent.

When Viking Ocean first debuted, I asked a former Regent officer that moved to Viking Ocean(note: Viking made offers to Regent employees that were difficult to refuse) if we would like Viking. The simple answer was "no".

In terms of where the customers on Viking Ocean are coming from, they are likely from the same place that Oceania passengers are coming from...... people moving up from mainstream and premium cruise lines and people that are finding luxury cruise lines to be too expensive.

Out of curiosity, have you sailed on Regent or Oceania (Oceania being the premium plus sister of Regent). We have sailed on both Oceania and Regent. While there are significant differences, if you purchase the alcohol package on Oceania, you get the same top shelf beverages that you get on Regent.

If this were not completely off topic, I could go into more detail. Let's just say that Viking Ocean is likely a lovely cruise line (as is Oceania) but they simply are not Regent (or Silversea or Seabourn or Crystal) which is what luxury cruisers prefer (as long as they are affordable).

Interesting post. My question is why you would compare a luxury cruise line with a premium plus cruise line? IMO, it is difficult to compare the two.

After 49 nights on Regent, I would say there is absolutely nothing "luxurious" about the impersonal way passengers are treated. Travelcat2 is seemingly obsessed with the trappings of luxury (e.g., liquor brands:rolleyes:) when what matters is being recognized by officers and crew as "you" and treating you as "you" and not just the next passenger in line. On this score, Regent failed badly.

As a frequent Regent cruiser and chief Regent apologist here on Cruise Critic, Travelcat2 receives very different on-board treatment from what we experienced and so is simply unable to recognize this Regent deficiency.

While not wanting to get this thread more off track than it already is, IMO, there is nothing wrong with enjoying luxury cruise ships. The alcohol reference is simply a differentiator between luxury and premium cruise lines. Last, Regent has put new procedures in place that helps the crew remember the names of their passengers. Still, for the thousands of us that regularly sail Regent and spend time getting to know the crew, they always remember us -- if not by name then our smiles.

Edited by Travelcat2

After 49 nights on Regent, I would say there is absolutely nothing "luxurious" about the impersonal way passengers are treated. Travelcat2 is seemingly obsessed with the trappings of luxury (e.g., liquor brands:rolleyes:) when what matters is being recognized by officers and crew as "you" and treating you as "you" and not just the next passenger in line. On this score, Regent failed badly.

As a frequent Regent cruiser and chief Regent apologist here on Cruise Critic, Travelcat2 receives very different on-board treatment from what we experienced and so is simply unable to recognize this Regent deficiency.

Well, if TC gets treated very differently, she must be borne about the ship in a silk-lined litter and fed peeled grapes while being fanned by a bevy of servants...as a veteran of 57 nights aboard Regent (with 36 more booked), I can honestly say I've never felt as if I was being treated as just a number by any member of the crew (with the notable exception of a few surly folks at Destination Services one time, which was addressed and apparently fixed while we were still on board). In fact, I've had crew from previous cruises go out of their way to greet me when they see me come aboard again, and most crew members have a smile or a wave and a pleasant greeting whenever I see them.

In fact, it's the service and friendliness of the crew that keeps us coming back to Regent again and again. Of course, that's just our experience, and as always your mileage may vary.

Not quite sure how we got here from a drydock schedule, but that's Cruise Critic for ya...

So am I missing something here? They're saying they're expecting Mariner in April, but I don't see any gaps in her schedule...well, a 2 day gap on the 9th and 10th, but I don't see them getting from Miami to the Bahamas and getting any work done in 2 days... :confused:

I think I read somewhere here on the boards that there is a minor dry dock scheduled (soft goods only perhaps?) for the Mariner in April '17 while the postponed, complete drydock is scheduled in Europe in 2018. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.