Charleston Departure - Pretty specific question

EllaDuChien

I am sailing from Charleston in October and I have a couple of questions that I am not sure can even be answered as it is a slightly unique situation. ;p

First - I am fairly familiar with Charleston as I live in Charlotte, NC and spend several weekends a year there. I know how to get to Gate 2 and my plan is to park and head to Fleet Landing for a bit before boarding. This particular cruise is coming in empty from Norfolk. Boarding is from 3-6:30pm with a 10pm sailaway.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of situation? What time can I drop off luggage and park? I know that the Port FAQ's say that luggage drop-off starts at 11am but is that the correct time for these late departures also?

I would imagine since the ship is coming in empty that the parking lot won't be too hectic, no mad rush trying to get out at least! I would like to park as early as possible, then walk around for a bit so I am not sitting at Fleet Landing for hours on end!!

Any information that anyone may have (ChuckTownSteve???) would be greatly appreciated.

Hiya Rachael,

I'm not sure I can give you an accurate answer because it's been a few years since I embarked from Charleston. Bob is more the expert on that area here.

That being said, I'll try. The key is when gate 2 is open. Even if you're not allowed to park that early, you can still drop off the luggage with the longshoremen and pull out of the lot though an exit gate. Since Fleet Landing opens at 11am and your ship sails so late, do you really want to get there so early? Here is a wild guess...if boarding starts at 3, you'll probably be able to drop off luggage at least 1pm even if you can't park yet. If not, just park downtown till it opens.

Bob or anyone else, can you help?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

you'll probably be able to drop off luggage at least 1pm even if you can't park yet. If not, just park downtown till it opens.

An option: If you can't park and/or drop off bags as early as you'd like, the Cumberland Street parking garage is close enough to Fleet Landing to spit at it. Park there and leave your bags in the car and do whatever you want to do downtown...lunch, browsing, whatever. When you're ready, retrieve your car and go back and park in cruise parking area, drop bags and board.

Hiya Rachael,

I'm not sure I can give you an accurate answer because it's been a few years since I embarked from Charleston. Bob is more the expert on that area here.

That being said, I'll try. The key is when gate 2 is open. Even if you're not allowed to park that early, you can still drop off the luggage with the longshoremen and pull out of the lot though an exit gate. Since Fleet Landing opens at 11am and your ship sails so late, do you really want to get there so early? Here is a wild guess...if boarding starts at 3, you'll probably be able to drop off luggage at least 1pm even if you can't park yet. If not, just park downtown till it opens.

Thanks so much!! No, I do not want to sit at Fleet Landing for that long, I need to be somewhat sober by the time boarding begins!! :p My hope was really just to drop off luggage and park, then be able to wander around for a while before heading to Fleet's. My 15 y.o. son loves the Crab House and I really like the market so I will probably do lunch with him at the Crab House then wander the market before heading to Fleet Landing to wait for boarding.

An option: If you can't park and/or drop off bags as early as you'd like, the Cumberland Street parking garage is close enough to Fleet Landing to spit at it. Park there and leave your bags in the car and do whatever you want to do downtown...lunch, browsing, whatever. When you're ready, retrieve your car and go back and park in cruise parking area, drop bags and board.

Thanks!! That is one option! The only downside is paying for parking at two lots...not that that is a deal breaker, but since I have to pay Port of Charleston Parking, I would love to only pay for that one!!

Thanks!! That is one option! The only downside is paying for parking at two lots...not that that is a deal breaker, but since I have to pay Port of Charleston Parking, I would love to only pay for that one!!

You would only be at the Cumberland St. garage for a few hours. I don't recall the rates specifically but we are probably talking $5 or less. It's at the end of Cumberland St. nearest the water, when you're coming from E. Bay St. And while I'm sure the drinks at Fleet Landing are less expensive, I'd at least have one drink up on the rooftop of the Market Pavilion Hotel, corner of Market and E. Bay (so right there by the Cumberland St. garage, Fleet Landing and the market). The rooftop setting with pool and bar is beautiful, and you have a lovely view of the ship etc. Actually, I'd have lunch there too, as it's one of my favorite downtown lunch spots. A tad pricey for some, but the food is very good (I really love their tuna tower) and I just love the setting. Great way to splurge a little and celebrate the start of your vacation!

You would only be at the Cumberland St. garage for a few hours. I don't recall the rates specifically but we are probably talking $5 or less. It's at the end of Cumberland St. nearest the water, when you're coming from E. Bay St. And while I'm sure the drinks at Fleet Landing are less expensive, I'd at least have one drink up on the rooftop of the Market Pavilion Hotel, corner of Market and E. Bay (so right there by the Cumberland St. garage, Fleet Landing and the market). The rooftop setting with pool and bar is beautiful, and you have a lovely view of the ship etc. Actually, I'd have lunch there too, as it's one of my favorite downtown lunch spots. A tad pricey for some, but the food is very good (I really love their tuna tower) and I just love the setting. Great way to splurge a little and celebrate the start of your vacation!

OH!! I Love Love Love that rooftop bar!! When my friend got married in Charleston all of the bridesmaid started our day there! So pretty! It may be lost on my 15 year old son though!!;p But you are right, I should at least have a drink up there, even if he won't appreciate the food enough to be worth the splurge! It will be a Thursday afternoon, and I am only coming from Charlotte, so I can adjust my arrival time, but now that you mention it, I think I will make time for a vacation kick off roof top beverage!