I asked, they answered

KT Freeman

Just got off the Riviera on Monday after another great cruise. This time, there was a "mid-cruise survey" in our cabin after the 3rd or 4th day. I don't remember seeing one of these before. I filled one out and in it I asked why the no sugar-added desserts were no longer listed on the menus in the GDR and Terrace Cafe. My husband is diabetic, and one of the reasons we love Oceania is because they offer these desserts. I also said the towels seemed to be very rough. The day after I submitted the survey, I got a call from someone (can't remember the name), telling me that yes, there are no sugar-added desserts available, but we had to request the menu. The next day, I noticed how soft the towels were. I was pleased to know that the surveys were actually read and concerns were addressed.

From my very first cruise I was very impressed how they act so on the mid-cruise surveys. Two examples:

Late night on the survey submission day I walked past the Concierge's desk and he was still working. Pouring over the surveys that it already been vetted by others with highlights in different colours. I assume the colours were for priority or identifying the affected department. He was reading the comments, making some notations and then sorting them into stacks. So not only do I know that they are read, I know that they are read immediately, and sorted into action items.

Second example is on one cruise we had a problem with our cabin that I had reported to the reception desk on several days. It was a known problem and with more than just my cabin so I knew there was a priority list. My visits to Reception were only to make sure I wasn't forgotten and that I was indeed still on a waitlist.

More days passed and then we received our first survey. One of my comments was about two issues with our cabin. The following sea day morning when we returned to the cabin before lunch both issues had been corrected.

I know and appreciate how seriously the onboard crew and management take our comments. Use the power for good :)

During our January cruise on Marina we spotted several housekeeping/maintenance items that we felt were lacking. Shortly after submitting the mid-cruise questionnaire, we were called to ask if we could show a ship representative the concerns we had in our own penthouse. The person arrived, asked questions and took notes about the stateroom, and left. The next day all these concerns were addressed. We were impressed with the rapid response. Our intent was not to nitpick small items, but to be sure they were addressed as our stateroom had an appearance of some neglect. Furniture showed significant wear, small pieces of ceiling molding were missing, the outdoor deck was in bad need of cleaning....and so on.

We are approaching 20 cruises on Oceania, and want others to have the same appreciation of the line as we do. We were gratified to see the alacrity with which these concerns were addressed.

It's great that you got prompt action on your concerns. However in my opinion, those issues should not have had to be your concern.

Isn't the head of hotel, and housekeeping responsible for making sure things are maintained? If maintenance doesn't doesn't know things are amiss, they can't fix it.

There should be ongoing detailed inspections of every room and all it's functioning parts. I'm not in the hospitality business, but I would think that's pretty basic operating procedure.

Once we had to have our sliding door repaired. That can happen at any time. On the other hand the curtains were filthy and snagged. Awful condition. I think I posted about it here and shortly after FDR posted that they were all being replaced. It's not that hard to wash and rehang sheers. I do miss his occasional posts....

Have no other cruiseline experience to compare as we have only been on O. Love our cruises and have two more booked. It's always fun to have a cruise to look forward to. [emoji41]

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with "all of the above" in theory, but in practice one has to factor in the positively rabid zeal of the next flock of passengers who are gasping to get into their cabins....

Hands up, where is the passenger who will volunteer to wait until 4pm in the Terrace while your room receives some extra TLC?

I've seen more than one matron tackle a butler to get her room key early, and one of them was a vicar :evilsmile:

StanandJim;

And your comments don't include all the cruisers that refuse to wait until their decks are called and pile into their rooms early dumping their carryons, (sometimes even able to retrieve their luggage early), taking showers and leaving the room messed up, before a supervisor can even get into the room. Far to many jerks like the one I heard say "If Oceania cared about us being in the room early, they wouldn't have gave us a cabin key that works!"

With today's technology, Oceania would do itself a huge favor if they invested in a system that didn't allow any cabin rooms to be unlocked, by passenger keys, until that floor was called. It would not only increase the efficiency of the crew and most certainly speed up their process, but also allow more opportunity to take care of the small extra things that often need to be done. More than once I have listened to our room steward complain about trying to finish up the cleaning tasks in cabins, and return to find clothes and suitcases strewn about the cabin and the bathroom trashed before their supervisor ever gets to the room. They must then start all over, and reclean the bathroom, with new towels, etc, and then attempt to do their final prep work around the strewn luggage and clothing. I told them that if the crap is found the cabin, before their deck is called, they should throw it all in the hallway, as is, and let the cruisers deal with it later. Perhaps have it sent to lost and found saying it must have been left by the past cruisers. Let the offenders sort it out later!

Thank you for the heads up on the sugar free dessert menu. Now I know to ask for it!

It's not sugar-free, but no-sugar-added. There's always a no-sugar-added ice cream option in Terrace and Waves. They have stopped including Sweet-and-Low and Equal in the sugar jars, and only have Splenda and Truvia which is a good step. Sugar-free desserts would be a great next step.