Livorno Port to town centre - When can we leave the ship?

Jetlagged787

We are looking for the quickest way to get from the ship to Livorno station but preferably not by taxi, unless anyone wants to join us! And yes, I will be mentioning it on our role call thanks.

There is a lot of good info on this thread but it is a year or more out of date now.

Can anyone who has been to Livorno recently on NCL please advise what the current situation is. Do NCL still operate shuttles to both the town and the station? What is the cost? Is there still a shuttle promoted by the town themselves and cost?

We dock at 6 a.m. and would like to catch the 9.19 to Lucca if that is possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There is a local bus, but the service does not start that early. 6a, that I recall? There is no need to purchase train tickets ahead. With a 6am port time, if you just make the effort to get off the ship when it clears, you won't have any problem finding a cab share. Multiple people are going to the train station. I was just there last week and same situation. I've driven to Lucca, nice to have a car, with a long port day, you can easily add a stop in Pisa.

There is a local bus, but the service does not start that early. 6a, that I recall? There is no need to purchase train tickets ahead. With a 6am port time, if you just make the effort to get off the ship when it clears, you won't have any problem finding a cab share. Multiple people are going to the train station. I was just there last week and same situation. I've driven to Lucca, nice to have a car, with a long port day, you can easily add a stop in Pisa.

Thanks. Our plan is the 9.19 to Lucca to have a look around there for 3 hours or so. Then the 1.42 pm train back as far as Pisa S. Rossore as it is the nearest to the Tower. Then check out the Tower and take a walk down into the centre and get the 4.32 back to Livorno. We should be back in the centre ready for a shuttle at 5.15 - 5.30.

I understand the locally run shuttle is €5 return if you catch it from the port. Do you know if they do a one way ticket to get back to the port?

Thanks. Our plan is the 9.19 to Lucca to have a look around there for 3 hours or so. Then the 1.42 pm train back as far as Pisa S. Rossore as it is the nearest to the Tower. Then check out the Tower and take a walk down into the centre and get the 4.32 back to Livorno. We should be back in the centre ready for a shuttle at 5.15 - 5.30.

I understand the locally run shuttle is €5 return if you catch it from the port. Do you know if they do a one way ticket to get back to the port?

That is a fantastic plan, if all goes to plan.....it is tight though, and any time delay could lead to "disaster". The shuttle only runs to and from town centre, from there you need a public bus to the train station and the same in reverse on way back. Best to get a taxi from train station back to port, it is worth every euro after a day touring and is much quicker.

Have you considered car hire? We did that in Livorno, with car pick up right on the pier and return to same. We drove to Lucca, Viareggio (on the coast) and then Pisa. We managed that comfortably, and the drive was straightforward! Doing it again, we would miss Viareggio as it seemed a bit run down and lacking in atmosphere.

That is a fantastic plan, if all goes to plan.....it is tight though, and any time delay could lead to "disaster". The shuttle only runs to and from town centre, from there you need a public bus to the train station and the same in reverse on way back. Best to get a taxi from train station back to port, it is worth every euro after a day touring and is much quicker.

Have you considered car hire? We did that in Livorno, with car pick up right on the pier and return to same. We drove to Lucca, Viareggio (on the coast) and then Pisa. We managed that comfortably, and the drive was straightforward! Doing it again, we would miss Viareggio as it seemed a bit run down and lacking in atmosphere.

A few years ago when we arrived in Liverno, we considered renting a car. But as we got off the ship, there were 2 couples looking for 4 more people to share the cost a 8 passenger taxi van. The driver took us to Florence and let us tour for a few hours, and the picked us up. He then drove us to Pisa, and allowed us to tour for about an hour, and then picked us up, and drove us back to Liverno with ample time to catch the ship. I don't remember the cost per person, but it was very reasonable and well worth it.

Thanks for the advice Hamrag. I'll take a look at the car option.

Thanks for the advice Hamrag. I'll take a look at the car option.

You are far better off with a car and you wanting to include Lucca and Pisa. There is pay parking for Pisa, a lot across from the gate entrance that is not easy to see. It will be a congested area. I'd suggest having GPS, especially for the return, there are miles of dock gates, and ideal will be to have the car pick up and return on the dock. In Lucca, not that difficult to find street parking within walking distance to the Lucca gate.

You are far better off with a car and you wanting to include Lucca and Pisa. There is pay parking for Pisa, a lot across from the gate entrance that is not easy to see. It will be a congested area. I'd suggest having GPS, especially for the return, there are miles of dock gates, and ideal will be to have the car pick up and return on the dock. In Lucca, not that difficult to find street parking within walking distance to the Lucca gate.

Thanks but are you saying that they will deliver the car ship side? That would be great as it alleviates the shuttle problem. The best that I have found so far is Avis but that is outside the dock only.

Thanks but are you saying that they will deliver the car ship side? That would be great as it alleviates the shuttle problem. The best that I have found so far is Avis but that is outside the dock only.

Yes, you can pick up cars at the end of the dock. I just saw them again last week. Verify directly with the vendors- however to make sure.

The "shuttle", is because you can NOT walk out of this port. Everyone without a tour pick up or car rental, will be taking the "shuttle" to outside the entry gate. You can NOT walk this.

Yes, you can pick up cars at the end of the dock. I just saw them again last week. Verify directly with the vendors- however to make sure.

The "shuttle", is because you can NOT walk out of this port. Everyone without a tour pick up or car rental, will be taking the "shuttle" to outside the entry gate. You can NOT walk this.

Thanks.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread. We'll be in Livorno on our Med cruise in a few weeks, and was also wondering about the quickest and most cost effective way from the ship to the train station. I have read that there is a direct NCL shuttle for $15 per person return. As there are 4 of us, I thought it may be better and faster to just get a cab to the train station, but are there cabs right there in the port, and are they happy to do trips to the train station? Thanks for any advice

To confirm, we picked our car up right on the dock and returned to same. We hadn't booked the car, but saw them while walking off the ship.

We have walked out of the port, and directly into Livorno previously, so the rules must have changed....unless you are confusing this port with Civitavecchia!

To confirm, we picked our car up right on the dock and returned to same. We hadn't booked the car, but saw them while walking off the ship.

We have walked out of the port, and directly into Livorno previously, so the rules must have changed....unless you are confusing this port with Civitavecchia!

Apparently, Livorno is a very large freight and passenger port that operates in two areas. One part is used by ferries and small cruise ships. Could that be where you docked previously?

The other part is used by freighters and the larger cruise ships and I understand that this is where the likes of Spirit and Epic dock. This particular part of the port is commercial and considered to be too dangerous for pedestrians, hence the requirement to use the shuttle.

No I am not confused. I clearly know the different between Livorno and Chitavecchia. I was there a couple weeks ago, on the NCL Spirit, and we could NOT walk out of this port. There was a gate as well as security telling you couldn't go further. (I was with a vendor who told me where his van was, but he was waiting for late arrivals. I had to tell the gate agent, the vendor's name I was using and what van was his, had make and part of license plate, before I could pass through).

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread. We'll be in Livorno on our Med cruise in a few weeks, and was also wondering about the quickest and most cost effective way from the ship to the train station. I have read that there is a direct NCL shuttle for $15 per person return. As there are 4 of us, I thought it may be better and faster to just get a cab to the train station, but are there cabs right there in the port, and are they happy to do trips to the train station? Thanks for any advice
Yes, a cab to the train station is a common run. But a couple weeks ago, one group did say, they paid 30 euros one way. I didn't hear what other rates may have been, but, when I've used the cab several years ago it was 20. So could be the ball park amount? There probably is a surcharge due to port entry/exit.

Yes, a cab to the train station is a common run. But a couple weeks ago, one group did say, they paid 30 euros one way.
:eek: The best thing to do in Livorno is stay on the ship. :mad: Or take a tour that leaves directly from the ship. The DIY transportation situation is a huge turn-off in this port.

:eek: The best thing to do in Livorno is stay on the ship. :mad: Or take a tour that leaves directly from the ship. The DIY transportation situation is a huge turn-off in this port.

Thanks Budget Queen. For 4 of us a cab would cost the same as the shuttle if it's 30 euro, but at least we can go early as I've also read that the shuttle doesnt start running till after 8 and we dock at 7. Whether or not this it is true I'm not sure...

It does seem like a quite a mission in Livorno, but we're going to go with the flow and do what we can in Florence in the time we have. The ship excursion to DIY in Florence with provided transport is $139 per person (outrageously silly price), so the train it is. A private transfer is still a 90 minute drive into Florence, with potential traffic headaches, so I would rather do the train. We've been to the Accademia and Uffizzi gallery, although many years ago, so will just do a walk through all the squares, cross the river and have a gelato and soak up the atmosphere. No stress...

Thanks Budget Queen. For 4 of us a cab would cost the same as the shuttle if it's 30 euro, but at least we can go early as I've also read that the shuttle doesnt start running till after 8 and we dock at 7. Whether or not this it is true I'm not sure...

It does seem like a quite a mission in Livorno, but we're going to go with the flow and do what we can in Florence in the time we have. The ship excursion to DIY in Florence with provided transport is $139 per person (outrageously silly price), so the train it is. A private transfer is still a 90 minute drive into Florence, with potential traffic headaches, so I would rather do the train. We've been to the Accademia and Uffizzi gallery, although many years ago, so will just do a walk through all the squares, cross the river and have a gelato and soak up the atmosphere. No stress...

Hi Cassicruiser. Any idea which train you will be headed for? They leave at 8.12, 8.52 then 9.12. We're going to Lucca and ours depart at 8.12, 8.31, 8.52 and 9.19. We would love to cab share if you like.

Hi Cassicruiser. Any idea which train you will be headed for? They leave at 8.12, 8.52 then 9.12. We're going to Lucca and ours depart at 8.12, 8.31, 8.52 and 9.19. We would love to cab share if you like.

Hi Jetlagged - We're just going to get to the station as soon as we can. We dock at 7, so are hoping to make the 8.12 train, but not prepurchasing tickets in case we don't.

Would have definitely shared a cab with you, but we're on the cruise 2 before yours (23rd April) :D

I wanted to go to Lucca for the day, but we're cruising with another couple and they really want to go to Florence, so am not too fussed. We're going back to Tuscany for a week after the cruise, so will go to Lucca then. :)

Hi Jetlagged - We're just going to get to the station as soon as we can. We dock at 7, so are hoping to make the 8.12 train, but not prepurchasing tickets in case we don't.

Would have definitely shared a cab with you, but we're on the cruise 2 before yours (23rd April) :D

I wanted to go to Lucca for the day, but we're cruising with another couple and they really want to go to Florence, so am not too fussed. We're going back to Tuscany for a week after the cruise, so will go to Lucca then. :)

No problem. Have a great cruise.

• 1 month later...

Hello --

I am on the NCL Epic and will be in Livorno Port on June 22. We have rented a car from Avis at the address:

Livorno,J2T -- Calata Carrara Staz Marittima. Does anyone know where this is in relation to where we will be docking?

Thanks for any help.

It's not that far, but you still have to find transportation to take you there, because I don't think they'll let you walk. Contact Avis to see if they can suggest anything.

According to the port timetable, the Epic with dock at berths 46/67. On the map this is at the far end of the green quay called "Alto Fondale". And you can see "Calata Carrara" and the maritime train station marked in purple. That's where the Avis office is.

mappa_porto_big.png

Re car hire by the side of the ship -we have done this many times from Livorno. Look for sifracar.com. They are very reliable and the car will be there waiting for you. Nothing to pay up front.

hawkeyetlse-

Thank you for that piece of info. That map is really helpful. Also nice to know that we are the only ship in port that day. The Epic is such a big ship that I was afraid we would have difficulty finding a rental car.

Cat-

Thank you for the info on the ship side rental. There are two big guys in the group and we got a really good deal on a mid-size with Avis.

Anyone who knows Livorno, our plan is do spend a few hours in San Gimignano then come back through Lucca and rent a bicycle to ride the 4 km city wall. We would also like to see the Leaning Tower but I heard that Pisa is extremely difficult to navigate without crossing into areas that are designated for permit holders and that 6 months after your trip, you may get a pricy ticket in the mail. Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction and does it seem that our plan for the day is too ambitious?

Again, thanks for the info. It's really helpful.

Hi. Glad you managed to get a deal for your car.

With regard to your plans there's so much more to see in Lucca other than just cycling the walls. Inside the walled town is a real treat if you enjoy just wandering (or cycling) around.