traveling with a family of 5 on ncl escape

BuckHamilton

So we have 2 adults and 3 kids going on our upcoming cruise. to bad the cabins only sleep 4 that we booked. we solved the problem by putting one of the children in a room with a relative who s traveling alone. well i started thinking of some issues that might come up and wonder if anyone has any thoughts.

our group gets in the night before and hope to check in early to the cruise, however the person we are sharing a room wit does not get until later in the day. Does everyone for a cabin have to be there to check in?

on other cruises kids could not leave the ship without there parent or guardian if our kids are registered to a different cabin can they leave the boat with us or do they require the person hey are in the room with?

thanks for the help

So we have 2 adults and 3 kids going on our upcoming cruise. to bad the cabins only sleep 4 that we booked. we solved the problem by putting one of the children in a room with a relative who s traveling alone. well i started thinking of some issues that might come up and wonder if anyone has any thoughts.

our group gets in the night before and hope to check in early to the cruise, however the person we are sharing a room wit does not get until later in the day. Does everyone for a cabin have to be there to check in?

on other cruises kids could not leave the ship without there parent or guardian if our kids are registered to a different cabin can they leave the boat with us or do they require the person hey are in the room with?

thanks for the help

Are you sure your room doesn't have a 5th bed? We are also a family of 5, and when try to book, we are only able to see rooms that will fit us. So while several rooms might be available in the exact same class, we might only see 1//3rd to less of them available to us. I didn't think they'd allow you to book into a room that doesn't have a bed for each person. If they booked you into a room that only fits 4 and you told them you at 5 at booking, I'd ask the cruise line to fix that for you.

You can put a child in a different room, but it gets complicated getting on and off the ship for excursions as well as checking in. The child would have to be present when the other family member checks in. The child is then under the supervision of the other family member as far as the ship is concerned. The other family would be the ones who can check the child into/out of the youth clubs, etc. You would need to carry documentation from the ship that the other family member has granted permission for you to be allowed to take the child off the ship if you aren't going off with the family that actually has the child listed on their room. People had done this on our last cruise with Disney, and it was a big pain for them, though they booked it exactly this way up front to pay a cheaper fare overall.

Are you sure your room doesn't have a 5th bed? We are also a family of 5, and when try to book, we are only able to see rooms that will fit us. So while several rooms might be available in the exact same class, we might only see 1//3rd to less of them available to us. I didn't think they'd allow you to book into a room that doesn't have a bed for each person. If they booked you into a room that only fits 4 and you told them you at 5 at booking, I'd ask the cruise line to fix that for you.

You can put a child in a different room, but it gets complicated getting on and off the ship for excursions as well as checking in. The child would have to be present when the other family member checks in. The child is then under the supervision of the other family member as far as the ship is concerned. The other family would be the ones who can check the child into/out of the youth clubs, etc. You would need to carry documentation from the ship that the other family member has granted permission for you to be allowed to take the child off the ship if you aren't going off with the family that actually has the child listed on their room. People had done this on our last cruise with Disney, and it was a big pain for them, though they booked it exactly this way up front to pay a cheaper fare overall.

There are a very limited number of family ocean view cabins for 5, it appears the OP booked a cabin for four, and booked the third child into another cabin.

if we change that does everyone have to be there to check in?

also how does that effect taking kids off the ship. We may end up split up at some ports

Everyone in a room needs to be there to check in. I don't think there is a way around that part.

As long as all the kids are listed with an adult in that cabin, you should be ok splitting up.

If the parents are splitting up with the kids, you would need the permission documentation for rhe ports for embarking and disembarking.

This whole mess is why we book a room for 5 even if it is a lot more expensive.

Edited by AliceIn

We actually did something like this on the NCL Pearl a couple years ago...originally my husband wasn't going to go with myself and my 3 kids, but changed his mind so we put him in with my Dad, who was travelling alone. We had no issues doing this; as far as Splash Academy goes--you can sign anyone up to pick up your child so long as they have the pin/password to do so. Also, as far as spending, you can attach different credit cards to each person in the same stateroom. For example, when my husband used his key card, it was hooked to our credit card, and my Dad's was hooked to his own.

Obviously my hubby didn't room in with my Dad--one of my kiddos did. When we checked in, we asked about making the switch "officially." We were told they really didn't care who slept in what cabin, as long as there were not more people than there should have been. So, we took advantage of my Dad's balcony room and some nights had all the kids sleep with him. ;-)

It really was no big deal--you can attach your child's card to your account. The only thing they won't be able to do with their key card is get into your room. I am guessing, however, that everyone in each room might need to check in together considering one person is a child.