Diamond Princess Re-Deployment in 2018?

moodyb1

My husband and I had booked an 18-day Southern Island and Sea of Japan cruise for 11/13/18 - 12/1/18. On Wednesday, 3/21/2017, we received a phone call from Princess that the cruise has been canceled. The reason given was the Diamond will be re-deployed. I can't imagine that the Diamond will be re-deployed to a different region of the world since it is geared for the Japanese market. Today when I went to the Princess site all sailings for the Nov/Dec 2018 are "SOLD OUT", which I take that Princess is not allowing anyone to book these cruises.

Does anyone know what is happening? Does this have anything to do with the situation in North Korea and the stops that Princess makes in Busan, South Korea? Just asking...

Arlene

That's weird. I can't imagine a cruise for ene of nevt year being cancelled already.

I wondered cause the Diamond is one of the older ships and is one of the only ships not to get the new Princess Beds that perhaps it was going to be deployed/taken out of service... could be wrong tho.

My husband and I had booked an 18-day Southern Island and Sea of Japan cruise for 11/13/18 - 12/1/18. On Wednesday, 3/21/2017, we received a phone call from Princess that the cruise has been canceled. The reason given was the Diamond will be re-deployed. I can't imagine that the Diamond will be re-deployed to a different region of the world since it is geared for the Japanese market. Today when I went to the Princess site all sailings for the Nov/Dec 2018 are "SOLD OUT", which I take that Princess is not allowing anyone to book these cruises.

Does anyone know what is happening? Does this have anything to do with the situation in North Korea and the stops that Princess makes in Busan, South Korea? Just asking...

Arlene

Hi Arlene,

Yes, I noticed those itineraries showing as sold and posted on our Aus/NZ forum.

Diamond has been coming to Australia between about November and March every year since about 2010 I think it has been......except for the last season where we had Emerald and Golden.

I keep an eye on all the ports in OZ, and there has been lots of changes. At the moment Melbourne has Sapphire scheduled in and Sydney Golden, but they don't match to where their last cruises are booked.

Princess are doing some shuffling as they usually do......my guess is Diamond will come down again (reason your cruise was cancelled) and Golden will come from LA, there are bookings in Papeete for Golden and Emerald for that time. Hoping one of these Grand class will stay as we only have the Sun/Sea sailing fulltime here now that the Dawn has left.