Help with Transatlantic Itinerary

Ok I'll try again. My first thread has not showed up.

I'm torn between two transatlantic sailings for 2018. I'm trying to combine a transatlantic (Iceland for sure) with Canada and/or NE. The prices are high although comparable for someone traveling solo for 16 nights. Both have an overnight in Reykjavik:)

Any thoughts on the ports? Ease of getting around in each port? Travel distance from airport to embark?

I've sailed Radiance and loved the glass. I've also sailed NCL Jade from Venice.

Royal Serenade

Interior - $3200

Aug 2018

Copenhagen (Denmark), Skagen (Denmark), Oslo (Norway), Stravenger (Norway), Shetland (Scotland), Akureyri (Iceland), Isafjordur (Iceland), Reykjavik (Iceland) Halifax (Nova Scotia) Boston

NCL Jade

Sept 2018

Interior - $3000

Southampton (London) (England); Lerwick, Shetland Islands (Scotland); Reykjavik (Iceland); St. John's, Newfoundland (Canada); Halifax (Nova Scotia); Portland (Maine); New York; DISEMBARKMiami (Florida)

We did the Serenade itinerary in September 2016, and loved the ports. The three ports in Iceland were spectacular and each was different. It was easy to take the HOHO bus in each of the European ports and also in Reykjavik We had private tours in the other two Iceland ports. We had been to Iceland three previous times, but never to the Akureyi and Isafjordur, which were totally different from Reykjavik.

Serenade is sister ship to Radiance, so glass is everywhere.

Distance from Copenhagen airport to ship is much less than distance from London airports to Southampton. Copenhagen is a wonderful city, so I suggest at least a day

pre cruise to experience Copenhagen. HOHO bus and boat is fairly reasonable.

I would do that cruise again in a heartbeat

Ok I'll try again. My first thread has not showed up.

I'm torn between two transatlantic sailings for 2018. I'm trying to combine a transatlantic (Iceland for sure) with Canada and/or NE. The prices are high although comparable for someone traveling solo for 16 nights. Both have an overnight in Reykjavik:)

Any thoughts on the ports? Ease of getting around in each port? Travel distance from airport to embark?

I've sailed Radiance and loved the glass. I've also sailed NCL Jade from Venice.

Royal Serenade

Interior - $3200

Aug 2018

Copenhagen (Denmark), Skagen (Denmark), Oslo (Norway), Stravenger (Norway), Shetland (Scotland), Akureyri (Iceland), Isafjordur (Iceland), Reykjavik (Iceland) Halifax (Nova Scotia) Boston

NCL Jade

Sept 2018

Interior - $3000

Southampton (London) (England); Lerwick, Shetland Islands (Scotland); Reykjavik (Iceland); St. John's, Newfoundland (Canada); Halifax (Nova Scotia); Portland (Maine); New York; DISEMBARKMiami (Florida)

With Serenade you get Halifax and Boston. Portland is 2 hours from Boston and could be a day trip since the cruise ends there. Newfoundland has been cancelled when the weather is bad. Do you get an overnight in New York with NCL? IMO the ports are way more interesting and unusual on Serenade.

With Serenade you get Halifax and Boston. Portland is 2 hours from Boston and could be a day trip since the cruise ends there. Newfoundland has been cancelled when the weather is bad. Do you get an overnight in New York with NCL? IMO the ports are way more interesting and unusual on Serenade.

Thanks for responding to this and previous threads. You really helped me think through and make decisions for my Anthem Bermuda next month.

The NCL gives the option to depart NY or Miami. I'll be in Boston next month on the Anthem but I'm not opposed to going again. So much to do.

The Serenade, BUT, I would gamble and book after final payment. TAs are notorious for having huge price drops after final and with the high starting MSRP on this sailing there's bound to be drops. The same sailing in 2016, the X (balcony) gty rate hovered around $3000pp around final and dropped to $1600pp about 60 days out (or about the same $3200 for the inside now). The Z (inside) GTY went down to $1000pp (from about the price now).

Biker, who did a very similar itinerary on Legend in 2014 for an incredibly low of $409pp from Hamburg.

The Serenade, BUT, I would gamble and book after final payment. TAs are notorious for having huge price drops after final and with the high starting MSRP on this sailing there's bound to be drops. The same sailing in 2016, the X (balcony) gty rate hovered around $3000pp around final and dropped to $1600pp about 60 days out (or about the same $3200 for the inside now). The Z (inside) GTY went down to $1000pp (from about the price now).

Biker, who did a very similar itinerary on Legend in 2014 for an incredibly low of $409pp from Hamburg.

I agree with you, except in the case of suites. My limited experience has been that suite prices keep going up the more unique the itinerary.

The Serenade TA is extremely popular. We booked yesterday and there were plenty of choices of JS's and GS's, however today they are all gone - I also checked on other websites and all sold out !!

It's been that way the last 5 years on that cruise.

I agree with you, except in the case of suites. My limited experience has been that suite prices keep going up the more unique the itinerary.

....until about July when last year the prices were cut in half. Now granted, from crazy high prices (JS over $7K pp in June and $8Kpp for GS). Sure the pickings will be very slim, but the very steep discounts still applied. About the only thing unusual about last year is the drops happened quite close to sailing, unlike the more typical 60 days out these days.