$10m solution for mooring cruise ships in Auckland

From memory I think we said we spent $125 on the day...had we walked off the ship we may have gone 'outside' the city and spent more on transport and admission fees than we did 'in town'...we went up the Sky tower and had lunch...on previous trips we went out to the Zoo by bus, over to Davenport via the ferry and another time went for a sea plane flight...we could have done all off the tenders but may have done more walking off....for sheer convenience docking would be so much easier, maybe too easy to walk back onto the ship for lunch etc.

I think if we spend under $200 per port (2 of us) we are not really doing anything at all. It would mean there is no excursions, just a walk around and some lunch.

Most cruise ships use UHT milk onboard which tastes horrible when heated. I usually drink lattes at home but only drink espressos onboard. So the first thing I want at a port stop is a latte - at least in places where I know I'll get a decent one. In Asia I drink ice-blended coffees instead because I'm usually there when it's hot, they also use UHT milk, and most of the cafes are American coffee chains. In Europe it varies.
It is also to do with the timing, you get off the ship and walk around for a few hours, it is still too early for lunch, so you have a coffee and cake, before going for another walk around or heading off somewhere.:D

It is also to do with the timing, you get off the ship and walk around for a few hours, it is still too early for lunch, so you have a coffee and cake, before going for another walk around or heading off somewhere.:D

It's the ones whose first stop is a coffee that amaze me.

Just imagine how they can maximise the income:

Swim with the dolphin

Zip line

Loose kangaroos in the landing paddock

Drop bear habitat walks.

Oh, hold on. What date is it?

I don't think they will allow anyone to swim with the dolphin, if it ever makes it to the end of the dock anyway.

It's the ones whose first stop is a coffee that amaze me.

Right, but as a person who hardly drinks any coffee, you do not know how powerful the urge to have a decent cup in the morning can be. Or perhaps you have a slight inkling with your addiction to Coke (the drink).:p

Right, but as a person who hardly drinks any coffee, you do not know how powerful the urge to have a decent cup in the morning can be. Or perhaps you have a slight inkling with your addiction to Coke (the drink).:p

Yep I know about caffeine addiction, probably consume more than the heaviest of coffee drinkers. And at one time Mrs Gut would have 15+ coffees a day, but I'd have thought the real urgency would be before disembarking.

But I know the coffee shops sure like having a ship in town.

Good for their business having the ships come in, if Newcastle could set themselves up with a fully functioning terminal, they could be the alternative to Sydney (when it is fully booked) and they would likely get 3 times as many ships.

Good for their business having the ships come in, if Newcastle could set themselves up with a fully functioning terminal, they could be the alternative to Sydney (when it is fully booked) and they would likely get 3 times as many ships.

They've been talking about it for a looooong time.

P&O had Jewell based here for a while, but the facilities were so dreadful they couldn't make a go of it.

They've been talking about it for a looooong time.

P&O had Jewell based here for a while, but the facilities were so dreadful they couldn't make a go of it.

Yes, they need something more permanent and it needs to come form the area as well as the cruise lines.