Azamara transfer: London to Southhampton

luvtravel

We are looking at a cruise in the fall that starts in Southhampton and going to London early. Wonder if anyone has taken the Azamara transfer from London and where you caught it. If it helped we'd select a hotel closer to the meeting sight if its in the city rather than at the airport. A couple of years ago we and another couple paid Azamara for transport from Paris to Rouen -- a disaster on Azamara's part -- they didn't give good info the bus company or to us, the passengers and many of us almost missed it because of the confusion. Also, no Azamara rep on the bus which added to it. Hoping that their experience has make for better logistics now -- but would love to hear about your experience in London. Thanks for any help, including if you've used a private transfer that was reliable and reasonable. Thank you!

I don't know about the Azamara shuttle but you have two public transport options (rail or coach) from Central London.

The Coach runs from Victoria Coach Station (at the rear of the train Station).

The train runs from either Waterloo or Paddington, the former offering a more frequent service.

The London Departure points are all easily reached by public transport but bearing in mind that you will have luggage a taxi from your hotel to the departure point may be easier.

You could of course also get private transfer from Central London to your ship in Southampton . http://www.smithsforairports.com/text/services.html

Are well regarded.

You don't say what kind of hotel you are looking for. There is a Premier Inn near enough to Waterloo for you to be able to walk to the station if that appeals.

If you want more luxury than you would usually look for somewhere North of the river, and for ease of reaching the major attractions within the area bounded by the Circle line on the Underground system. I would avoid the North West of that area , i.e. the area nearer to Paddington.

Although not within the Circle, you might also consider hotels in Kensington particularly if you are interested in the Museums there. The major chains all have 4 Star hotels there (partly because it's easily reached from Heathrow. I used to use a couple of Boutique Hotels (The Gallery and The Gainsborough) when I had to stay overnight on Business because it was easy to reach my office (in Victoria) from there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much for all this information! I will be checking out the hotels you mentioned. We have stayed in London before, but usually just overnight and have used the Hilton above Paddington - because of points we have and the Heathrow Express ends/starts there - seemed to make getting to/from airport easier. This time we do want to spend a few days in London and perhaps doing a day tour to Cottswolds - so staying closer to Victoria or Waterloo could help. Will check out the transportation you mentioned - see how far ahead we'd have to get tickets, etc. for the train or bus and if we could find others going on the same sailing - perhaps share the cost of private transfer - make life easier!! Thanks again for your info!

I don't know about the Azamara shuttle but you have two public transport options (rail or coach) from Central London.

The Coach runs from Victoria Coach Station (at the rear of the train Station).

The train runs from either Waterloo or Paddington, the former offering a more frequent service.

The London Departure points are all easily reached by public transport but bearing in mind that you will have luggage a taxi from your hotel to the departure point may be easier.

You could of course also get private transfer from Central London to your ship in Southampton . http://www.smithsforairports.com/text/services.html

Are well regarded.

You don't say what kind of hotel you are looking for. There is a Premier Inn near enough to Waterloo for you to be able to walk to the station if that appeals.

If you want more luxury than you would usually look for somewhere North of the river, and for ease of reaching the major attractions within the area bounded by the Circle line on the Underground system. I would avoid the North West of that area , i.e. the area nearer to Paddington.

Although not within the Circle, you might also consider hotels in Kensington particularly if you are interested in the Museums there. The major chains all have 4 Star hotels there (partly because it's easily reached from Heathrow. I used to use a couple of Boutique Hotels (The Gallery and The Gainsborough) when I had to stay overnight on Business because it was easy to reach my office (in Victoria) from there.

There are Hiltons all over London so you have plenty of choice. The Doubletree at Holborn would be worth a look -- the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow has a stop at Holborn and Waterloo is close. It's also close to London theatres and some good eating places, such as Rules

Thank you! After checking out your suggestions - pretty much decided on the Hampton Inn at Waterloo Station. We will probably take the Heathrow Express into town (guess the only stop is Paddington) , then taxi to the hotel. Haven't checked price of H.Express for 2 - maybe cost effective just to take taxi from airport - problem I guess would be traffic - will be either a Friday or Saturday.

Thanks again for the good leads. Definitely will be looking up Rules!!

The Heathrow Express is very efficient and I would definitely select that option if you arrive on a Friday.

I am sure you will enjoy the Cotswolds and wonder if you might be able to spend two days in the area as there are many gorgeous towns to visit. Google Bourton on the Water, Broadway and Stow on the Wold to name just three.

We're sharing a car from London to Southampton with another couple--we priced out several companies that we found on CC. My husband will have his golf clubs so we didn't want to bother with the bus or train. Price range was 90-115 GBP.

There is a fairly new Doubletree right at Victoria. Try Simplyairports.com for a car service from Heathrow. I've used them many times.

I know that hotel -- it is right by Victoria Station so handy if you are leaving by coach. But it is a pretty noisy location.