Embarking/disembarking Oasis class ship experiences

When we sailed on the Allure last year, the boarding lines at about 12:30 filled the queues with lines down the side of the terminal building. It took over an hour to get to the front of the line, then 2 of our party of 5's Sea Pass cards could not be located. It took about 15 minutes for the agent to locate them with no explanation of where the were or why. Then disembarkation was extremely slow. Our time was around 8:30, but we were not off the ship and out to the curb until after 11:30. The workers in the terminal building said it was unusual that people were still trying to get through customs that late, but I remember reading around the same time that others had similar experiences around the same time frame but different sailings.

We are sailing on the Allure again later this month. Is this a typical experience for the Oasis ships? I ask because my MIL recently had knee surgery so she cannot stand for hours at a time, and she refuses to use a wheel chair or any other type of mobility assistance.

I've sailed Oasis out of Ft. Lauderdale twice. The first time we got to the port around 11am and basically walked right on to the ship. Security, checkin, and boarding was a breeze. The 2nd time we got to port around the same time & security and check in went smoothly but they were not ready to board just yet. We were directed where in the terminal to sit and after about a 45 minute wait, they started boarding & it went quickly.

We self disembarked both times, as it is our preference, and had no problems. Customs had minor lines the 2nd time but we waited no more than 10 minutes.

We sail on Allure in a month and I'm hoping that we'll have another smooth experience.

We were on Oasis last week. We arrived at the port at 11 AM and literally walked on (Diamond had already boarded) the debark process yesterday was longer. We got in line for self assist at 6:30 and it took an hour to get to curb. 1000 passengers were doing self debark.

• 4 weeks later...
I was wondering the same. I'm trying to book flights and trying to weigh how close to cut it. :D

Don't know if you have sailed the Oasis before but the airport in Orlando is one hour from the port. Any bad traffic or wreck and you could miss your ship if you cut it too close!

My advice is to arrive the day before. If that is just impossible at least book the very earliest arriving flight you can.

Please don't try to see "how close to cut it". I do hope you have a wonderfully cruise!!!

Don't know if you have sailed the Oasis before but the airport in Orlando is one hour from the port. Any bad traffic or wreck and you could miss your ship if you cut it too close!

My advice is to arrive the day before. If that is just impossible at least book the very earliest arriving flight you can.

Please don't try to see "how close to cut it". I do hope you have a wonderfully cruise!!!

Thank you! I haven't sailed the Oasis before and was reading more and more about the distance from MCO. I think we'll look to stay at a hotel the night before then. Even just for peace of mind and low stress! I'll do some searching, but any thoughts about a hotel? Closer to the port, as opposed to the airport, I'd assume? Thanks again - we can't wait!

Thank you! I haven't sailed the Oasis before and was reading more and more about the distance from MCO. I think we'll look to stay at a hotel the night before then. Even just for peace of mind and low stress! I'll do some searching, but any thoughts about a hotel? Closer to the port, as opposed to the airport, I'd assume? Thanks again - we can't wait!

We prefer to stay either in Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach. We sail on the Oasis later this year for the first time too, and we are staying at Homewood Suites in Cape Canaveral. We like relaxing in the evening, then getting up early the next morning, having a leisurely breakfast, re-pack and then we are on our way to the ship. (202 days - but who's counting? :D)

Enjoy your cruise!!!

We prefer to stay either in Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach. We sail on the Oasis later this year for the first time too, and we are staying at Homewood Suites in Cape Canaveral. We like relaxing in the evening, then getting up early the next morning, having a leisurely breakfast, re-pack and then we are on our way to the ship. (202 days - but who's counting? :D)

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Thanks! You too! I'm starting to research the fly/snooze/cruise packages. It seems expensive for 4 people, but I'm guessing cheaper in the long run than doing everything separately. So far I've only looked for Marriott ones since I have rewards through there (but not enough points this time around). I'm going to keep searching. I am glad we are coming in the night before because the relaxing and having a leisurely breakfast sound appealing!

Thanks! You too! I'm starting to research the fly/snooze/cruise packages. It seems expensive for 4 people, but I'm guessing cheaper in the long run than doing everything separately. So far I've only looked for Marriott ones since I have rewards through there (but not enough points this time around). I'm going to keep searching. I am glad we are coming in the night before because the relaxing and having a leisurely breakfast sound appealing!

The four hotels closest to the port are Country Inn & Suites, Residence Inn, Homewood Suites and Radisson at the Port.

The first three have free breakfast the Radisson does not but does have a restaurant onsite, a family restaurant next door and a McDonalds across the street.

If you don't want to do a one way car rental you might consider a prearranged shuttle. Cortrans, Cocoa Beach Shuttle, Travelynx and Executive VIP Limo are my suggestions.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

We were on Oasis last week. We arrived at the port at 11 AM and literally walked on (Diamond had already boarded) the debark process yesterday was longer. We got in line for self assist at 6:30 and it took an hour to get to curb. 1000 passengers were doing self debark.

We were also on board and got in line at 6:00 and had a vastly different experience. We walked off, went through customs and caught a cab to cocoa beach where my truck was parked and remember it being 7:10 when we started to drive back to Atlanta. What a difference 30 min makes.

When there are issues with Oasis-class embarkation/debarkation, they get compounded by the size of the ships. Most of my experiences have been great, but then there was the time it took us an extra 2-hours to get off of Allure because there were not enough CBP agents. Part of it is always going to be how many ships are in port and how many agents are working that day.