Will our side-by-side stroller fit through hallways??

Have you ever been on a cruise? The stroller will not fit down the hallway if the cabin attendants carts are out. You will put other people out trying to get around you. What if you encounter a wheelchair? A little consideration goes a long, long way. Sounds as if you are thinking of your own convenience only and not of those around you. I'm not trying to sound mean here but rather trying to tell you how inconvenient your double wide stroller will be for other passengers. Remember it's our vacation too!

leave the kids at home with the grandparents instead of ruining the cruise for everyone else - how selfish can you be?

JUST KIDDING! :)

but do be aware that you will NOT have a nice relaxing vacation. You will work harder and feel more tired than at home, because you will always be worrying about how the twins at that age are disrupting, crying, etc. Or at least I hope you will be -- what are you planning on doing in the dining room with them?

i'm a mom of 2 myself, not a kid basher, and mine are still at home, but you need to be realistic - the size of your stroller is 1% of the problem you are about to face.

good luck.

I don't have kids so I am not entirely certain what the dims are for a side-by-side stroller. However, I assume you are correct that it is approximately the same width as a wheelchair. If that is the case, you will have problems in the hallways. I don't know where your cabin is located, but it is true that the halls are very long and quite narrow. I cruised with my parents last year on Rhapsody. My mom is completely dependant on a wheelchair for mobility. Their cabin was just around the corner from the elevators, but we still had problems with getting around the cleaning carts that are left in the hallways during the day. We were very fortunate that with the exception of using the elevators, other passengers were very polite and moved into the recessed doorways to let us by. The halls are too narrow for a wheelchair and a person to pass easily. Getting an elevator was a real problem. Many times other passengers pushed my mom out of the way to ensure they could get on the elevator. This may not be a problem for you and your stroller, but it's hard to tell. The wheelchair does not fit through a standard cabin doorway so that may also be a problem for your stroller.

Have you ever been on a cruise? The stroller will not fit down the hallway if the cabin attendants carts are out. You will put other people out trying to get around you. What if you encounter a wheelchair? A little consideration goes a long, long way. Sounds as if you are thinking of your own convenience only and not of those around you. I'm not trying to sound mean here but rather trying to tell you how inconvenient your double wide stroller will be for other passengers. Remember it's our vacation too!

With all due respect, you apparently didn't read my first post very closely. First off, I said that it is our first cruise. So that should pretty much answer your first sentence of whether we've already been on a cruise. Hence my initial question.

Second, a little consideration does in fact go a long way. And that's why I asked the question in the first place. I guess if I were inconsiderate, I would have simply brought the double stroller and let the chips fall where they may. But because I'm trying to be a considerate cruiser (the kind who quickly removes his kids from the public if they are acting up, etc.), I asked the question about strollers. If I were inconsiderate, I wouldn't have bothered to ask.

And some folks here have offered very good advice. I think we will bring the double stroller and use it pretty much when we are walking around ports and use the small, umbrella strollers--possibly connected together with the mechanism a couple of people had suggested--for when we are on the ship. I think that's pretty considerate. I think your post lacked consideration.

Chicagobound,

Just ignore those nasty posts. 99% of us are more than happy to help with questions, (without making nagative comments) especially someone newer to the boards (I see you don't have many posts yet). I have learned so much valuable information on these boards, and I really hope that you will too. Have a wonderful cruise vacation with your family and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. :)

I have an idea , how about buying a tandem stroller , this worked great for me . i have brought a stroller on a cruise . My girls are going to be 4 when we go next week and they are going to walk everywhere . I'm sure your little ones would be able to walk down to the dining room . I know like the other posters have said there really isn't much room for a double stroller in the hallways , dining room , etc .

I agree with jlx2 , ignore the posters that are rude and igorant . Most everyone on here is truely thou trying to help . I can't see myself bringing a double side by side . I also may not be the one to ask as per we never really used one because my friend turned off us on using them right away when I saw her daughter at the age of 5 still in one :eek: .

I really think a light weight tandem would be perfect !

ChicagoBound,

I have noticed that a few people have questioned the space for the double stroller in the diningroom and I just wanted to let you know that on the RCCL cruises I have been on there were signs outside of the diningroom prohibiting strollers in there. This being your first cruise I was pretty sure you were not aware of that. Also beware that other posters will encourage you to go ahead and take the stroller in the diningroom because others do it. You seem to be considerate (having asked in the first place) so I feel you would not be one to break the rules just because others do. :)

Enjoy your cruise. :cool:

Cindy ;)

Some here might know that I enjoy a mostly adults-only environment while cruising. That being said, I must commend the OP for her concern in bringing the stroller.

I believe that you will find the dw too large and cumbersome for almost all areas onboard, especially the hallways, and the not-so-large elevators.

There are other areas where it will fit more comfortably (eg, the outside decks), but you will still create difficulty for those passing you on either side. The Royal Promenade also can get congested easily, and I myself would not like to contend with a dw stroller in the mix.

You will be inconveniencing yourself if you have to worry about it, and you want to enjoy your vacation!

I would mostly allow the children to walk, or be carried as needed, and reserve the stroller (non-dw) for shore activities, and use on the outdoor promenade deck (deck 4 on most Voyager class ships).

Good luck, and have a great cruise!

I would also suggest a tandem stroller. Can you buy a used one from a consignment shop or from your local twins club to be used just for the cruise?

When our twins were 2 years old and we cruised we brought two umbrella strollers. Our umbrella strollers had the sun shade and we also bought connectors (for out on the islands). Your sbs will not fit down the halls if the room stewarts carts are there. Our most recent cruise was much better since they were four and we didn't even need the strollers anymore.

Have a nice cruise!

With all due respect, you apparently didn't read my first post very closely. First off, I said that it is our first cruise. So that should pretty much answer your first sentence of whether we've already been on a cruise. Hence my initial question.

Second, a little consideration does in fact go a long way. And that's why I asked the question in the first place. I guess if I were inconsiderate, I would have simply brought the double stroller and let the chips fall where they may. But because I'm trying to be a considerate cruiser (the kind who quickly removes his kids from the public if they are acting up, etc.), I asked the question about strollers. If I were inconsiderate, I wouldn't have bothered to ask.

And some folks here have offered very good advice. I think we will bring the double stroller and use it pretty much when we are walking around ports and use the small, umbrella strollers--possibly connected together with the mechanism a couple of people had suggested--for when we are on the ship. I think that's pretty considerate. I think your post lacked consideration.

I will grant that you were trying to be considerate asking about the stroller. I will also grant that some people on here tried to give you an honest opinion in a kind way and some in a not so kind way. Allow me to also add that you seemed determined to bring that stroller anyway, no matter what advice you may have been given.

If you take the time to cut through the unkind remarks and just look at most of the responses, you will see that your choice of stroller really will not work on a ship, maybe not even in a port. I think people started getting rather harsh in their responses because you are not getting it.

As you have not cruised before, let me first start out by saying that any pictures you may have seen of a ships interior are deceiving. Wide angle cameras are used to make views appear larger.

What is said about the elevators is true. Some openings are narrow.

The door to your stateroom will not allow you access. Also, unless you have a very large stateroom, places to put things can be tight.

The hallways are narrow. Add in the carts the stewards use twice a day and only one person at a time can get through.

Most ships do not allow any strollers in the DR. Even in the buffet areas, with several hundred people moving around, that space can get congested.

The pool area can become a maze of scattered lounge chairs.

As to the ports....

Your ship will probably not be the only one in any given port. Most of the islands have narrow sidewalks. They can be very congested. At some islands they are not in very good shape.

The shops you may want to go into are packed. You might not be able to get in a shop with the larger stroller.

The jest of what most are trying to say is save yourself the trouble of carrying on board more than you may need to. You have every right to take what you wish on the ship. You asked for opinions and what is posted here is opinions.

I hope you enjoy your cruise. It is a wonderful way to travel and see many beautiful sights. But while on the ship, you must remember it is still a confined area with several hundred people on it.

Have you checked out a stroller called a Sit and Stand. It looks like a regular stroller from the front but on the back behind the front seat there is a bench seat that can also be used (with a safety strap). This stroller is no wider than a regular one but can accomodate 2 young ones. They can be found at resale shops and at babies r us. I can't remember the cost, but I have seen many famileis with twins use them as the kids get older, as 1 kid almost always wants to walk while the other wants to sit. I hope this helps you out a little.

Have a great cruise with your family

We have twin granddaughters, now 3, but they found the side by side stroller too wide to even get through stores easily, so we got them a front to back double stroller, with the back seat higher than the front so both kids could look out. Perhaps you could rent one like this, or even borrow one. Do you belong to a "Mother of Twins" club? There might be one near you........you can check online. Good luck. Otherwise, maybe if just one of you were going somewhere, one of the kids could walk while the other rode, and they could take turns in the umbrella stroller................ :)

Archived