London hotels

We will be taking the NCL Jade out of Southampton and will be staying in London pre-cruise. We wanted a reasonably priced hotel near attractions and near transportation to be able to get to Southampton by train. I have narrowed it down to the Doubletree Tower of London, Hampton Inn Waterloo or Park Plaza Riverbank. I really have no idea what the best area to stay in is. Thoughts or other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I stayed at Premier Inn Waterloo, walking distance to Waterloo train station, Big Ben, Parliament, London Eye, Westminster Abbey, Thamas River, tube, HOHO, regular bus, pubs, restaurants.

I have also stayed at Park Plaza Westminster, one block from Premier Inn Waterloo.

We wanted a reasonably priced hotel near attractions and near transportation to be able to get to Southampton by train.
The answer to one of the most frequently-asked questions on this board always contains this nugget of truth: There is no one place in London that will satisfy all requirements. Central London is simply too big for any location to work for everything. Some of the main sights are some miles away from each other. What is most important to you, and which attractions are you most interested in seeing?

It's a bit like the builder's paradox. Everyone wants their building work done good, fast and cheap. In real life, you can have any one of those. If you're lucky, you can get two. But you will never get all three: if it's good and fast, it won't be cheap; if it's good and cheap, it won't be fast; and if it's fast and cheap, it won't be good.

In London, I always book a hotel that's in the area of the things I want to do & see. If you want to do the Eye, see Big Ben and Westminster Abbey, then choose a hotel close to those sites. If you're looking at Travelocity, pull up the map and become familiar with the area. Find the things you want to do, then look for hotels in that area that are within your budget. Every time I go to London, I choose a hotel in a different area and nearest the other attractions I missed last time. :)

I'm trying to find a hotel that I can walk to from the Victoria Station 3 nights pre-cruise in May. I am thinking that the Premier inn London Victoria would work ok but I can't find a toll free number to call from the US. I always like to call ahead to make sure my reservation is ok and to ask questions. Does anyone know if they have one? The reason I want to stay there is because the tour I want to take that goes to Stonehedge leaves from Victoria Coach station. and there is no shuttle service from any hotels to take me there. I figured I'll just stay at one I could walk to and from the station for the tour. Otherwise I'll have to take a cab back and forth from my hotel.

Also does anyone know of a good reliable shuttle service to use from the airport to the hotel. It will be too hard for me as a 60 yr female traveling alone to haul my bags on the train or tubes. I saw a couple of them on line but when I read there views many people were left stranded because of shuttle no shows.

Linda H.

I have used a private car service www.justairports.com from LHR to/from London hotel, use hotel's postal code to get a quote.

I do not believe the Premier Inn have a free phone number to contact them. See under Contact Us if there is an email address to use.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out just airports. I think there was an e-mail address. It looks like it would cost a lot to call from the US.

I just tried to use their direct booking site and it will not recognize my US address or phone no. even when I hit the button for USA at the bottom of where you put in address. I tried creating an account but again it won't recognize US address or phone. all the US booking sites show no room avialible for the date I want but the Premier inn site show they have them.

I really wanted to stay there. I did find an E-mail address for guest relations but most likely I won't get any reply in time. :(

My cruise is May 13, 2017 so I need to book something right away. The other hotels within walking distance have a lot of bad reviews about the beds or cost way too much. I can't see paying $300-400 a night. I need to keep it under $200 a night.

Linda H

We will be taking the NCL Jade out of Southampton and will be staying in London pre-cruise. We wanted a reasonably priced hotel near attractions and near transportation to be able to get to Southampton by train. I have narrowed it down to the Doubletree Tower of London, Hampton Inn Waterloo or Park Plaza Riverbank. I really have no idea what the best area to stay in is. Thoughts or other suggestions?

Great question! We are doing the same but not until May 2018!

Keep us posted or a review :-)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I'm trying to find a hotel that I can walk to from the Victoria Station 3 nights pre-cruise in May. I am thinking that the Premier inn London Victoria would work ok but I can't find a toll free number to call from the US. I always like to call ahead to make sure my reservation is ok and to ask questions. Does anyone know if they have one? The reason I want to stay there is because the tour I want to take that goes to Stonehedge leaves from Victoria Coach station. and there is no shuttle service from any hotels to take me there. I figured I'll just stay at one I could walk to and from the station for the tour. Otherwise I'll have to take a cab back and forth from my hotel.

Also does anyone know of a good reliable shuttle service to use from the airport to the hotel. It will be too hard for me as a 60 yr female traveling alone to haul my bags on the train or tubes. I saw a couple of them on line but when I read there views many people were left stranded because of shuttle no shows.

Linda H.

Hello Linda,

You mention a May cruise from Southampton. If you are on the Jade May 22 you may want to join our roll call. There may be people willing to share a ride with you.

DH and I are on that cruise staying at Hampton Waterloo due to being close to attractions and train for our trip to Southampton.

Hello Linda,

You mention a May cruise from Southampton. If you are on the Jade May 22 you may want to join our roll call. There may be people willing to share a ride with you.

DH and I are on that cruise staying at Hampton Waterloo due to being close to attractions and train for our trip to Southampton.

Thank you for the offer but my cruise is the 13th. I am on Caribbean Princess and finally getting things figured out. I was just able to book the hotel I wanted and now just have to book the ride from airport to hotel. I will change my pickup to Victoria station for my ride to the port from Princess.

Thank you everyone for your reply's! clear.png?emoji-smile-1742 I was finally able to book the Premier inn I wanted. It was mostly user error clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744 but I kept at it until I figured it out. I can now finally relax knowing I have the hotel located where I can walk to the tours and stations. Now on to booking the tours and excursions! clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Linda H