Alaska in Sept?

judykcbob

Our cruise departed 9/2 and we returned 9/9 - spent a few extra days in Seattle and just flying home now. Rain in Juneau, partly cloudy in Glacier Bay, rain in Sitka and sunny and warm in Ketchikan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also had a warm,sunny day in Ketchikan. The weather in Seattle was beautiful on 9/10. We did a morning tour before going to the airport. Maybe we'll get back there one day. It's a lovely city. There was drizzle for us in Juneau. However, our morning in Tracy Arm was sunny and we got all the way down the Fjord and saw Sawyer Glacier at a distance. It was gorgeous- ice flows and waterfalls! We went to Glacier Bay on a previous cruise and loved that too.The naturalist said it was the first time the Emerald cruised through on a sunny day. We had a great time. September worked for us!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You need to pack for all sorts of weather. Have a great trip.

Agree - we were prepared with raincoats, pants and waterproof shoes. Had no problems on the boat for the whale watching and needed them to get real close to Nugget Falls!

We cruised to Alaska in June some years ago and missed out on seeing much of the wildlife since the salmon don't run until after mid July. This time we're considering early September.

Most of the salmon will have run and died off. At least that's what we found last week......

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We cruised to Alaska in June some years ago and missed out on seeing much of the wildlife since the salmon don't run until after mid July. This time we're considering early September.

If bear viewing tours are your interest, you need to be aware that there are peak viewing times at the popular locations and those times are tied to salmon runs. Also be aware that some locations are permit only and those fill up early,

Most people on a cruise do their bear viewing out of Ketchikan. Info on the bear viewing locations in this site: http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

If bear viewing tours are your interest, you need to be aware that there are peak viewing times at the popular locations and those times are tied to salmon runs. Also be aware that some locations are permit only and those fill up early,

Most people on a cruise do their bear viewing out of Ketchikan. Info on the bear viewing locations in this site: http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

We went to on a tour,Sept 5, from Ketchikan and saw lots of bears.

I saw a good sized adult black bear in Ketchikan on 9/6 about 75 feet from me!!

We were walking up to the tribal fish hatchery when someone yelled, "Bear!". I turned around and saw it coming out of the steps of the Ketchikan Indian Community Center and started to cross the road angling towards me. I was walking backwards away from it while snapping a few pictures (kept thinking that you're not supposed to turn your back towards it or run) when a car coming down the hill caused it to veer off and run across the road and up the mountain. My wife was freaking out and that is a lot closer than I ever want to be to a bear again.......

good for you! Sept 5 is certainly within the peak period. It would be helpful to the OP if you mentioned which location you chose since you were so successful.

Did a Princess Shore Excursion to a Rainforest outside of Ketchikan. There were spotters who communicated to the guides where the bears could be seen. Over the course of our tour we saw two male bears and a momma and two cubs. The tour just before us saw even more bears.