Taking jewelry onboard

DoniaG

I was in Costa Rica a few years back and was robbed in the capital city, San Jose, on a Sunday morning. A guy ran up behind me and just pulled them out of my ear lobes! I had been told not to wear expensive jewelry, and I figured I was safe with small hoops. Obviously,I figured wrong! Now,in ports, I wear no jewelry, except an inexpensive watch.

As far as safety on the ship, I've used the cabin's safe, with no problems ever.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;12;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

12/2/04 Sun Princes

2/27/04 Golden Princess

11/21/03 Majesty of the Seas

Carnival 10/87

NCL 4/93

Norway 4/95

Costa 5/97

Several years ago, while walking through Times Square in NYC, my daughter was assaulted by a guy who tried to grab the necklace off her neck. The good news is that the catch didn't break; the bad news is that the catch didn't break. The thief didn't get the necklace but my daughter wound up bruised and a cut on her neck.

So, being robbed can happen anywhere at any time. I think we should enjoy our jewlery as long as we're not being dumb about where we wear it.

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03; Regal Princess (4/20/04)

-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2004;12;26;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

-- Royal Princess (4/21/05) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2005;04;21;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I take a lot of my jewelry--I like to wear it for the formal pictures. I've never had a problem keeping it in the cabin and I travel with it in a carry on. The best part has been taking a pendant into to port to find a matching ring!

On our last cruise to Tahiti, there were some women with pretty SERIOUS jewelry on. One lady had a 4+ carat diamond ring on (I know, I am a gemologist) in addition to a Rolex President watch. I say if you have it, and it's insured, enjoy it. I travel with only the jewelry I can wear on my body with the exception of a nice watch for formal night (other times it's my $10 Casio with plastic strap that glows in the dark!!!).

DoniaG - did you know that you live in the town with with largest jewelry manufacturing plant in the US? Stuller is in Lafayette Lousiana

Cheryl

See our AOS 4/24/2005 website and the AOS 4/24/2005 ROLL CALL

4/22/01 RCCL Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean

6/08/02 RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Alaska

4/19/03 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera

4/17/04 Tahitian Princess - French Polynesia Pictures

4/24/05 RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

5/12/05 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal Rollcall

Cheryl -

Yes, actually, I do know about Stuller. In fact, I've even been through their facility - major impressive. I don't really know the Stuller family, but the CEO and his wife are friendly acquaintances. It's always nice when you find someone who's heard of something in this small town!

Donia

Ever since my mom's Mikimoto's got stolen after she lent them to me to wear for my wedding/honeymoon (not fun to come home and explain THAT one to mom!), I am pretty careful about where I wear the good stuff. The good stuff I do take stays most of the time on my body. (Yeah, I know I could probably get my ear ripped off with a screw-back, but....)

I don't wear much of any jewelry off the ship, usually just my wedding rings and a Brighton watch. In fact, most of what I wear when I travel now is Brighton. Not dime-store stuff, but not a Mikimoto triple-strand by any stretch.

It's funny that my shoes are probably the most expensive thing on me when I'm off the ship, and I never worry much about someone stealing my shoes, so maybe my one bad experience has just made me paranoid.

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's funny that my shoes are probably the most expensive thing on me when I'm off the ship, and I never worry much about someone stealing my shoes, so maybe my one bad experience has just made me paranoid. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A friend of mine from Chile, had her boots stolen off her feet when she was visiting Peru.

So, ya never know what can happen where! icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hubby is a retired cop. I don't put things in the expected places.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a retiring cop (well in 17 years) and I trust the safe. It just seems, er, safer. We take all our stuff that we will wear and we wear it and we have never had a problem.

All the best!

Jay & Karen Turner

Mount Hope, Ontario

Westerdam 12/93

Statendam 10/95

Zenith 05/96

Westerdam 05/97

Norway 10/97

Westerdam 10/98

Sun Princess 10/99

Volendam 10/00

Volendam 10/01

Century 10/02

Zuiderdam 05/03

Caribbean Princess 05/04

I thought for some women the whole purpose of a cruise was to buy jewelry...

I can't imagine buying something nice and then not wearing it!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Ernie and Cheryl

See our AOS 04/24/2005 webpage and the AOS 04/24/05 ROLL CALL

1989 Dawn Princess - Eastern Caribbean

1990 Dawn Princess - Alaska

2001 RCCL Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean Pictures

2002 RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Alaska

2003 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera

2004 Tahitian Princess - French Polynesia Pictures

2005 RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

2005 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal ROLL CALL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jane110:

A friend of mine from Chile, had her boots stolen off her feet when she was visiting Peru.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's it! I'm going barefoot when I get off the ship from now on. icon_biggrin.gif

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

All jewelry will be confiscated upon

embarkation. Ship security will

store it for safe keeping until the

end of the cruise. There is a $10

wearage fee if one chooses to wear

any jewelry during evening hours.

Just to confirm, that is a wearage fee, not a wearing fee, right.

All the best!

Jay & Karen Turner

Mount Hope, Ontario

Westerdam 12/93

Statendam 10/95

Zenith 05/96

Westerdam 05/97

Norway 10/97

Westerdam 10/98

Sun Princess 10/99

Volendam 10/00

Volendam 10/01

Century 10/02

Zuiderdam 05/03

Caribbean Princess 05/04

I think most of us gals wear our jewelry to DINNER in the dining room not roaming the streets of New Dehli.

Twe whole point in having beautiful things is to wear and enjoy them.

I do keep them in my safe in the room.

Another very important tip- get a fabulous piece on every new cruise that you take. I've got nice gold peices in Greece, pearls in Tahiti, diamonds in Copenhagen, etc. The settings and styles are often very different from the same old Daniel Yurman stuff.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DoniaG:

Cheryl -

Yes, actually, I do know about Stuller. In fact, I've even been through their facility - major impressive. I don't really know the Stuller family, but the CEO and his wife are friendly acquaintances. It's always nice when you find someone who's heard of something in this small town!

Donia<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Donia, Matthew Stuller (CEO) has donated in excess of $1 Million Dollars to the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) where I got my Gemologist Diploma. I just ordered a Tanzanite Pendant from them. I have found that I can get better prices back home than in the Caribbean, and the quality is better.

Told a very good friend of mine (Jim Broussard also from Lafayette now in California) about you, and he asks if you are Creole or Cajan? He speaks fluent French, is about your age, is African American and keeps reminding me that he is Creole.

Cheryl

Cheryl -

I'm neither Cajun nor Creole. I'm actually a 4th generation Texan who finally figured out how to get across the Sabine River! After living all over the eastern half of the country, I settled here a couple of years ago and am thoroughly enjoying myself.

I can well believe that Matt and CeCe Stuller have given generously - they're good corporate citizens here in Lafayette. And judging from the 23,000 SF house (no, that isn't a typo) they currently have under construction, they can afford to be! I serve on a couple of Boards with Sue Lein, the wife of COO (not CEO as I said in my last post) Chuck Lein. I've got my fingers crossed that the connection will get me an invitation to a party after they finish it!

Donia

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerlyn:

I always wear my good jewelry, I also have all of my jewelry insured. Does no one else insure their jewelry.

Have a good day.

Jerlyn icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jerlyn, I also insure all of my expensive pieces on my Personal Articles Policy where each piece is scheduled separately, and is covered for any kind of loss anywhere in the world. Word of advice to all the women out there, (at least for State Farm cusomers, don't know about other insurance companies), I only insure for "Replacement" value, not "Retail" value because if there were a loss, State Farm would only cover for what it costs them to replace the item and you can bet they have wholesale connections in the jewelry business. I don't want to pay excessive premiums on inflated "Retail" values.

Cheryl

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DoniaG:

Hi all -

Before I ask a question, I just want to say how much I'm enjoying reading all these messages! I feel like an experienced Princess cruiser - and I've never even seen one of the ships! The information is absolutely fabulous.

My best friend and I (two 50-something women) will be on the Golden in July. We're trying to decide whether to take real jewelry. We feel very comfortable with a safe in the cabin, but wondered about any experiences and/or problems anyone of you has had. (I'm not talking about SERIOUS jewelry, just some nice stuff that we love to wear.)

Thanks, Donia<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what? Don't take anything "HIGH" (more than $500) of value with you on a long trip. The longer the trip the more likely you are to damage or loose the item. I've heard of too many insurance claims arising out of people taking valuables on trips. Just get by with some very nice copies - that's my opinion since you asked. Have a great time. Wear large not so real jewelry and leave your valuables at home...

Suncat icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;7;31;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Can't wait to sail on the Caribbean Princess!

Archived