NCL transferring a booking to a TA

NCLfamily

A heads up more than anything else.

We booked a cruise to Alaska for July 2017 whilst on board The Epic in April 2016. We used a future cruise certificate as full deposit. We got an invoice from NCL on our return to the UK and all has been as it should be. Final payment date of May 17th.

On Thursday we received a letter from a Travel agent who we have used in the past which was a final demand for full payment of our upcoming cruise, saying this was their final warning and they would cancel the cruise within 5 days of the date of the letter and we would forfeit our deposit.

After a couple of frantic calls to NCL and the TA involved it transpires that NCL transferred our booking without our knowledge or consent and the TA said this is common with bookings made on board.

The TA had set a date of April 1st for final payment and when this date passed had sent several emails looking for money. They were sending them to the wrong email address.

We got the booking transferred back and our payment date is now as before May 17th.

Had the letter not made it to us they would have cancelled our cruise and with no balcony cabins left and the cruise price a lot higher than when we booked, we could have had our holiday of a lifetime wrecked.

So more a heads up to anyone who books on board. All sorted in the end and no real harm done.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you use that TA for the cruise you were on when you booked the Alaska cruise?

We had the same thing happen on RCCL & NCL. They automatically assigned the new cruise to the TA that had the reservation for the cruise we were on when we booked onboard. I'm not sure why they don't tell you that when you're booking..........

This is normal and it is a part of the program. In order to allow you to book on board, NCL implemented this process so that their Travel Partners (and PCCs) would not lose bookings (and income) made by their customers on board.

This is explained on the sheet you use to make the on board booking...the sheet also gives you the option to NOT have the booking go to your regular TA/PCC or to even send it to a different TA/PCC if you so desire.

Of course, the bottom line here is to always read and understand the terms & conditions before clicking "OK" or signing your name to anything.

Did you use that TA for the cruise you were on when you booked the Alaska cruise?

We had the same thing happen on RCCL & NCL. They automatically assigned the new cruise to the TA that had the reservation for the cruise we were on when we booked onboard. I'm not sure why they don't tell you that when you're booking..........

Yes, TA that we had used for the original booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is normal and it is a part of the program. In order to allow you to book on board, NCL implemented this process so that their Travel Partners (and PCCs) would not lose bookings (and income) made by their customers on board.

This is explained on the sheet you use to make the on board booking...the sheet also gives you the option to NOT have the booking go to your regular TA/PCC or to even send it to a different TA/PCC if you so desire.

Of course, the bottom line here is to always read and understand the terms & conditions before clicking "OK" or signing your name to anything.

Really? We'll know next time.

The excitement of booking Alaska maybe clouded our terms and condition reading abilities.

Really? We'll know next time.

The excitement of booking Alaska maybe clouded our terms and condition reading abilities.

Maybe. But you did miss it. Luckily, it didn't become a bigger problem. Thankfully, the TA didn't just cancel the reservation outright.

Lesson learned.

This happened to me last year. NCL should certainly tell passengers they are sending your booking somewhere else other than in the terms and conditions. It takes 15 second to ask and answer instead of dealing with longer calls once home. My dh and I had no clue.

We purchased FCC and booked Escape while onboard the Breakway last August. A few while later, the Big Box discount store that I used in the past send me my invoice. I had no intention on using them since they now only give store gift cards and knew I wanted to shop for a new TA with good OBC. It took a couple of calls to finally get it moved back to NCL before I could then move to a new TA. My dh and I were never once told about sending to an old TA I would have told them no since I knew we werent going to be using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This happened to me last year. NCL should certainly tell passengers they are sending your booking somewhere else other than in the terms and conditions. It takes 15 second to ask and answer instead of dealing with longer calls once home. My dh and I had no clue.

We purchased FCC and booked Escape while onboard the Breakway last August. A few while later, the Big Box discount store that I used in the past send me my invoice. I had no intention on using them since they now only give store gift cards and knew I wanted to shop for a new TA with good OBC. It took a couple of calls to finally get it moved back to NCL before I could then move to a new TA. My dh and I were never once told about sending to an old TA I would have told them no since I knew we werent going to be using them.

I understand people get excited, but I also get so tired of people that want to blame everyone(cruise line in this instance) when they just don't READ. Unfortunately our society doesn't think rules and procedures should apply to them.

If you don't read and you sign, then that is your problem and no one else's.

I understand people get excited, but I also get so tired of people that want to blame everyone(cruise line in this instance) when they just don't READ. Unfortunately our society doesn't think rules and procedures should apply to them.

If you don't read and you sign, then that is your problem and no one else's.

Correct. I fully agree. But it would have also saved time on NCL and my part if they also mentioned it since I had to contact them after the cruise and it could have been avoided. If they are confirming everything we booked they could also confirm the agency where they will send my booking but in the end it was my responsibility and I dont think I said otherwise.