Refresh My Memory--Reservations for YTD

GradUT

It's been several years since we sailed on HAL with the YTD option. (We usually do fixed dining.) At that time, I recall going to (or calling) Guest Services to make a reservation for a dining time for the following night. Assuming some changes have occurred since then and now, can you tell me the procedure for booking dining times with YTD? Thank you.

I see "YTD" and read "Year To Date"; otherwise I have no idea what it means. ;p

But based on context, I presume you are asking about open seating.

You can call for reservations, or approach the podium in or near the Lido entrance, to make them for that day, or probably the next. Some ships allow reservations for up to three consecutive days. Reservations are allowed from opening until sometime after 6:00 (6:15? 6:30?), and from 7:30 to closing.

Or, you can just walk up when you are ready to eat. You will be seated as soon as a table of the size requested is available. That could be immediately, or quite a while, based on how many others are waiting for the same thing.

Doesn't sound so different from what you remember.

My experience with as you wish dining varies from ship to ship. Two years ago on the Zuiderdam, we had to go to dinner very early to get a table for two. Last year on the same ship, four of us were asked on the second night whether we wanted the same table at the time we had arrived. Last month on the Koningsdam, we never saw any beepers being handed out by the Host desk until 7:30 or so. We never had any trouble getting a table for two and saw numerous empty tables at 7 PM when we generally left the dining room.

My experience with as you wish dining varies from ship to ship. Two years ago on the Zuiderdam, we had to go to dinner very early to get a table for two. Last year on the same ship, four of us were asked on the second night whether we wanted the same table at the time we had arrived. Last month on the Koningsdam, we never saw any beepers being handed out by the Host desk until 7:30 or so. We never had any trouble getting a table for two and saw numerous empty tables at 7 PM when we generally left the dining room.

My experience has been the same as yours.

I have not had any luck getting a reservation for anything later than 5:45 unless I wanted to reserve after 8 no matter if I phone early, later or ask a day or several days in advance. If you are in a suite they may be more accommodating. I generally do the walk in and the only time it's been a problem lately has been on gala nights.

Me too! Your Time Dining maybe? :confused: :D

Maybe. Some other cruise line could call it that; I would find the letters distracting, since they already have another meaning to me.

So does "OV" for "ocean view". I see "OV" and think "office visit" in my dictation. Work flashback! :loudcry:

I believe "YTD" Dining is a "Carnival" Cruise Line expression & probably does mean "Your Time Dining" ..:cool:

Wouldn't it be nice if all the cruise lines used the same codes/expressions just like we had to learn when I first started in the Airline Industry a hundred years ago..Only kidding LOL:D