Did I Get A Decent Upgrade?

mrsheppo

We just took an upsell offer on our Alaska cruise from an IB inside midship on Aloha to a BD balcony in the 600's on Caribe. Cost of the upsell was $279 pp. Current price differential is $1105 and I believe it was at least $1K difference when we booked. I'm quite happy although I think DH thinks I sneaked an upgrade in on him that wasn't part of the original budget. ;)

We just took an upsell offer on our Alaska cruise from an IB inside midship on Aloha to a BD balcony in the 600's on Caribe. Cost of the upsell was $279 pp. Current price differential is $1105 and I believe it was at least $1K difference when we booked. I'm quite happy although I think DH thinks I sneaked an upgrade in on him that wasn't part of the original budget. ;)

Tell DH that the budget can be adjusted to accommodate the new cabin location. That should be an upsell that pays for itself in added cruise experience enjoyment. After all, how many Alaska cruises will you be doing in your lifetime? :D A balcony is the only way to do an Alaska cruise. Enjoy. (y)

Yes, if you have a TA then Princess notifies the TA. I got an email from my TA with the upsell offer from Princess attached. The offer has a phone number at Princess to call and leave a voicemail with your name, booking number, ship and phone number. I got a call back from Princess about 2 hours later. They offered me a couple of balcony choices on Aloha and Baja (including an aft facing balcony -- I know many are big fans but that's too far aft for us). I asked if they had anything on Caribe and she said yes and gave it to me. We had an upsell offer on our 2015 Baltic cruise (balcony to suite) and it was the same procedure.

Yes, if you have a TA then Princess notifies the TA. I got an email from my TA with the upsell offer from Princess attached. The offer has a phone number at Princess to call and leave a voicemail with your name, booking number, ship and phone number. I got a call back from Princess about 2 hours later. They offered me a couple of balcony choices on Aloha and Baja (including an aft facing balcony -- I know many are big fans but that's too far aft for us). I asked if they had anything on Caribe and she said yes and gave it to me. We had an upsell offer on our 2015 Baltic cruise (balcony to suite) and it was the same procedure.

Thanks much for the information, I appreciate it.

Looks like junglejane is on the same Ruby Princess itinerary I'm on but a week later.

We got an upsell offer last week for the 7/1 Rube Princess AK cruise from obstructed view (OZ) to a balcony (no balcony category given) for $299 per person. I took the weekend to sleep on it (I probably would've agreed more quickly at $200pp). When I called the travel agent back Monday, she had to leave a message with Princess. She called back Tuesday to say that the two upsell balconies were gone, but now I'm on some sort of wait list.

It would have been a nice change, but for $600 I'm not that disappointed the opportunity passed.

My TA told me to call Princess directly and also that the upsells go fast. She also warned me about the need to leave a voicemail and then be available for a call back. I think the time that elapsed between when I read read the email from my TA at 8:00 am and when I was on the phone talking to the Princess rep was about 2-1/2 hours.