Havana port

GrandmaHofmann

There are places to buy souvenirs all over the touristy area of Havana Vieja, particularly Calle Obispo, plus another huge warehouse of stalls on the waterfront. The warehouse also has some paintings that seem original/not-copied, of varying quality. I can't think of anyplace you would not have to walk, and the cobblestones and broken streets/sidewalks are not easy walking.

The quality of the "crafts" is pretty low, and it is unclear if many are made in Cuba or come from China for resale. You can see the exact same items all over Cuba. There seems to be no tradition of artisans making traditional, culturally based craft (ceramics, weaving, etc) , as there is in other countries/cultures.

The leather work has crude holes punched, like a kit your grandchildren may use. There are shell earrings that are said to be local. Lots of bead and seed necklaces; nothing original/unique. Straw hats. Some badly made instruments. Some lovely gauzy beach dresses for little girls.

Classic car paintings of all types, and lately, worse brushstroke quality, like auntie and cousin Eduardo with no training whatsoever are getting in on the profits from increasing tourism. And any other kind of classic car themed merchandise you can imagine, from T-shirts to bags to beer can vehicles to magnets, and on and on.

There are some better quality prints to be found at a few printmaking shops and galleries. A couple of galleries with a small variety of artisan jewelry, a few ceramics, a few wood pieces, sculpture, art photos, etc.

I have difficulty walking very far. Can anyone tell me how far you have to walk from the ship to the port exit in Havana? Is there any place in Havana to buy crafts?

I have bad knees, the walk from the ship through the terminal to the outside wasn't that bad. In the terminal itself there are people with booths selling objects. Once outside there is the hop on hop off bus that takes you around the city for 10 cucs. Across the street are a bunch of old cars that you can negotiate a price for a drive around the city. Also across the street is a square with a few things to see there.

I have difficulty walking very far. Can anyone tell me how far you have to walk from the ship to the port exit in Havana? Is there any place in Havana to buy crafts?

I too have this problem. Leaving the ship into the terminal there are places along the way for you to stop, sit and rest. Do it in increments. There is an elevator to take you down to the ground floor where there is additional seating at the front doorway. All along the route through the terminal there are kiosks and shops to purchase souvenirs.

I too have mobility issues and use a mobility scooter.

1) Will I be able to get off the ship and get to transportation?

2) Will the transportation be able to take my scooter, (it can be taken apart)

I too have mobility issues and use a mobility scooter.

1) Will I be able to get off the ship and get to transportation?

2) Will the transportation be able to take my scooter, (it can be taken apart)

What type of transportation?

Tour bus?

Taxi?

As I've mentioned previously, conditions do not favor scooters in Havana, so you might break down the scooter for storage in a trunk or luggage compartment while taking a tour, but might not find it worthwhile to get back into it until you are back at the port. The streets and very narrow sidewalks are cobbled and/or broken, with lots of construction debris and garbage often in them. There are cars, bici-taxis, coco-taxis, and vendors to dodge, and along with pedestrians, crowding many streets, making navigation difficult in some neighborhoods even on steady feet.

It would be very useful to any future tourists, cruisers or not, with mobility issues if those who have been to Havana could start to post their experiences in getting around.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

You could probably grab a car and throw the scooter in a trunk. Most of the bus tours from the ship noted the lack of wheelchair access. The tour buses are nice but Chinese and don't kneel or have wheelchair spaces. And forget a lift.

My wife has some difficulty getting around and our biggest problem walking around is how do we get back if she runs out of steam. Havana was good because, even on the back streets, it wasn't hard to spot a taxi-bike. A few CUC and they run you back to the port (at least nearby as only licensed taxis are allowed near the terminal).

What type of transportation?

Tour bus?

Taxi?

It would be very useful to any future tourists, cruisers or not, with mobility issues if those who have been to Havana could start to post their experiences in getting around.

Vida, This is an excellent suggestion. My DH and I both have mobility issues but do not require wheelchairs or scooters. The streets/sidewalks are not an issue either.

The issue with us in not being able to climb up stairs or walk for distances.

Hopefully cruisers who have already traveled to Havana who have mobility issues will post information of their experiences as you suggested.

Hopefully cruisers who have already traveled to Havana who have mobility issues will post information of their experiences as you suggested.

Not a bad idea to start a separate thread. I have no physical limitations yet.

There are about thirty stairs to go up and down from terminal to street level and back. Once at street level there are plenty of taxi and people wanting to give rides and tours. One poster above mentioned an elevator....but I did not see it nor signs for one...but it must be there. Agree scooters would not work here. I asked our car driver to put things in his trunk but he did not want to open it....may be the trunk was not able to hold items or his trunk was not operable. So thought I would mention that...should you hire a car...ask if the trunk is able to be opened to store a wheelchair. Lots of cobblestones, sandy, and uneven streets. It is very hot and humid making it a bit of work to walk.

There are about thirty stairs to go up and down from terminal to street level and back. Once at street level there are plenty of taxi and people wanting to give rides and tours. One poster above mentioned an elevator....but I did not see it nor signs for one...but it must be there. Agree scooters would not work here. I asked our car driver to put things in his trunk but he did not want to open it....may be the trunk was not able to hold items or his trunk was not operable. So thought I would mention that...should you hire a car...ask if the trunk is able to be opened to store a wheelchair. Lots of cobblestones, sandy, and uneven streets. It is very hot and humid making it a bit of work to walk.

While going down those steps, the elevator is to the right of the stairs.

I have bad knees, the walk from the ship through the terminal to the outside wasn't that bad. In the terminal itself there are people with booths selling objects. Once outside there is the hop on hop off bus that takes you around the city for 10 cucs. Across the street are a bunch of old cars that you can negotiate a price for a drive around the city. Also across the street is a square with a few things to see there.

Can you tell me more about this please? Is this a bus for tourists or the locals? I'll also do some Googling to see if there is anything I can find about what locations it visits. I've found in Europe and even US cities that these are the cheapest and easiest ways to have access to a new city. Maybe start with this on Day 1 and then decide what to look at more in depth on Day 2.

Is this a bus for tourists or the locals?

It was stated in the post you quote that the bus costs 10 CUC (to hoho for the day).

Locals make an official salary of about 30 CUC per month.

Is this a bus for tourists or the locals?

------

HOHO thread (link to route maps on one post):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2475331

-------

You can take that bus or arrange a classic car tour around the city.

The other thing you'll probably want to do is walk around the Havana Vieja neighborhood. If you have mobility issues, hire a bicycle-taxi to peddle you around the neighborhood.

You might also consider Hemingway's house and/or Fusterlandia and/or Callejon de Hamel by taxi.

It's hot and humid. Stop for drinks. Many good hotel bars, some with views. Stop for ice cream at Coppelia.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Can you tell me more about this please? Is this a bus for tourists or the locals? I'll also do some Googling to see if there is anything I can find about what locations it visits. I've found in Europe and even US cities that these are the cheapest and easiest ways to have access to a new city. Maybe start with this on Day 1 and then decide what to look at more in depth on Day 2.

This bus is more for tourist I believe due to the 10 cuc price. Once outside of the terminal, turn left, the bus picks you up there. We stopped twice at Revolutionary Square, they make announcements on the bus but if you don't speak Spanish it won't help you. It is a good way to get the lay of the land. On one of these Cuba threads there was information about the bus which showed the routes that they take, I don't remember which one however.