Private Long Distance Transfer from Rome to Venice

Sweetln

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

Does anyone have experience with using Tiber Limo for private long distance transfers? I am thinking of using their service for a transfer from Rome to Venice, but the most recent reviews that discuss this service are a coupe of years old already.

If not Tiber Limo, does anyone have experience with any other companies for transfers from Rome to Venice?

Thanks!

Oh boy I looked into this once with a different company and the cost was prohibitive

The train is the way to go 4 hours and comfortable and convenient and very well priced

However if cost is not an issue for you I would say the smart money hires a driver and if possible make it a 2 day experience and visit some outskirts locations But that's just me

To answer your question yes you can make this trip by car and driver in one day....however you will be hard pressed to find a driver that will want to make his return trip in the same day

While he may drive you on say a Monday he may well want to stay over and drive back the next day and of course this is reflected in his price You could get lucky though and find one willing to drive back the same day. As a price comparison I've seen private rides from Rome to Naples for 400e and that's a much closer ride

Another alternative is to get a driver to take you to Florence and the train it to Venice but not sure why you would choose this over what we did...

Took a cab from our hotel to termini and then took a 4 hour train to Venice.

Simple as can be

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because of the distance and the time, you may be required to pay for overnight accommodations for the driver ... regulations may prohibit them from driving up and back in the same day. That's part of what makes this such an expensive option.

Thank you all for your replies! I am so grateful for all the resources being a part of CC has given me in planning my future trips.

I did not mention in my original post that I am looking at a ONE WAY transfer from Rome to Venice. Tiber Limo notes that the transfer can be completed in 6-7 hours (with 3-5 hours added in for stops in other cities along the way). We have a couple of days between two cruises (one that ends in Rome & the next starts in Venice) & I've been eyeing different option for us to get to Venice on the day before our next cruise starts. The train is certainly the fastest and cheaper option when compared to the private car...however, I would like to explore more of Italy (in between our cruises) and felt that a private driver would provide us the option to briefly visit a couple more cities on the way (Bologna, Florence, Orvieto, etc).

Have you considered the high speed trains? They are significantly faster and cheaper. They are quite modern and comfortable. There is an excellent website about the train system here.

Thanks Jeast! The website you mentioned is an excellent resource for figuring out the Italian trains. The high speed train is definitely a close second on my list for transfer options (but with more consideration, it may win out in the end).

A Rome-Florence-Venice itinerary via freccia train would be an extremely easy option.Depending on the time you have available, you could spend 1-2 nights in Florence, with the option of a private tour in Tuscany if staying long enough.

I did not mention in my original post that I am looking at a ONE WAY transfer from Rome to Venice. Tiber Limo notes that the transfer can be completed in 6-7 hours (with 3-5 hours added in for stops in other cities along the way).
Did they give you a quote? I'm curious about the amount.

I understand that YOU only want to travel one way, but the driver has to go back. You would need to pay for his/her overnight accommodations because they would not be allowed to drive that many hours in one day.

I have not used that company but I have used allarounditaly.net for the last 10 years for tours in different Italy cities. I have hired him for 3-4 day tours so I'm sure you can get something worked out.

I agree with others that a train is cheaper and faster but if you're looking to tour and see the area this is a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did they give you a quote? I'm curious about the amount.

I understand that YOU only want to travel one way, but the driver has to go back. You would need to pay for his/her overnight accommodations because they would not be allowed to drive that many hours in one day.

I was quite intrigued by the idea that people would actually do that sort of long distance transfer. I checked the website and it seems the rate for a one way transfer inclusive of one 3-hour sightseeing tour along the way is €800 for up to 3 passengers. That's the all inclusive cost. No mention of one way fee, drivers accommodation and such. Wow! That's costly. Rent a car instead and drive yourself???

Edited by buchhalm
Darn auto correct made weird changes...

I can't speak to the private transfer, but I just returned from a trip to Tuscany. We took the trains everywhere, including the high speed train from Milan to Florence, with our luggage. It could not be easier. This website is perfect for explaining what to do if you are unfamiliar with the Italian train system.

https://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm

For the high speed train, if you go that route, get tickets ahead of time. They are significantly cheaper than the day or two before. The price difference for us was 29 euros 2 months before, and 89 euros the day of. You can get the ticket on your phone, just show the conductor when he comes thru.

The only caveat would be that you will need to be able to get all your luggage yourself. If you do not travel relatively lightly, trains and stations will be difficult to navigate.