Carnival Fascination Southern Caribbean Cruise - Go or no go?

LAOkie

Not much more I can say that the others havent. We were on this itinerary last Spring and loved it. But then again so far in our short cruising career, we like the smaller ships best. Three of the islands were new to us. We would do this itinerary again in a heartbeat on this ship.

Nice itinerary but I would not go on a Fantasy-class ship if there were other alternatives; I'd look at other lines to see what they offer first. I'd sail other classes of CCL though.

At the time of our booking, no other cruise line or ship class offered an experience like this. Royal came close, but they were charging twice the Carnival rate and had one less port. The ports are fantastic. If you find that the ports are more important than the ship, then it's completely worthwhile...and it's a perfectly fine ship.

Edited by attran99
Adding more information

At the time of our booking, no other cruise line or ship class offered an experience like this. Royal came close, but they were charging twice the Carnival rate and had one less port. The ports are fantastic. If you find that the ports are more important than the ship, then it's completely worthwhile...and it's a perfectly fine ship.

It it were possible to do a southern caribbean from Florida, timing and cost wise, I'd look for a 9-11 night. I know for a port intensive cruise you are off the ship a lot, and many do still like Fantasy class, but I think their days have passed feature and amenity wise. Just my own opinion, obviously many feel otherwise as a whole fleet of Fantasy-class continue to deliver good vacations.

Nice itinerary but I would not go on a Fantasy-class ship if there were other alternatives; I'd look at other lines to see what they offer first. I'd sail other classes of CCL though.

Fantasy-class ships are still my favorites. Even after multiple Conquest and one on Magic. To each their own. It really depends on what you are looking for while cruising. I like shorter lines, easy navigation through the ship and seeing the same people over and over. I like to be able to use the stairs everywhere and not step foot on an elevator. Fantasy-class is perfect for that. But if you want more lounges, more lines, more activities (somewhat), more spread-out ship, Dive-In movies, ropes course (which we waited in line for and only were able to do once because of the waits), then choose another ship. The southern itinerary is perfect for this ship as many people get tired while exploring the fantastic islands and just want a little "fun" then off to bed, ready to get up early for another day of exploring.

I would 100% recommend this cruise, the itinerary is second to none of Carnival's Caribbean itineraries. As for the ship, as much as I want to say I was upset when Carnival announced that they were swapping out the Liberty (tied with the Conquest as my favorite ship), I understand the decision. They get a lot of people who do the itinerary solely for the ports, because if someone wants to just hang out on the ship in the heat, they don't need to fly to PR when they could just go to Miami or Canaveral and be just as hot (for most of the year). When I did it on the Liberty, we kind of just used the ship as a bed and a shower, and we were off the ship for usually the entirety of the port stop. So, you will likely not notice the lack of bells and whistles that the Fascination has unless you choose to spend a lot of time on it, but if you haven't been to the ports, I don't see you doing that (you don't want to miss any of the ports, they're all special in their own ways). You will thoroughly enjoy this cruise if you choose to go! :D