Have your thoughts changed on Europe since the Manchester bombing?

CoupleUK

So many positive and uplifting comments posted already.

I work in Manchester and live to the north of the city. I pass the MEN Arena every day and have been to many concerts there. The day after I cried at work when no one was looking - I sobbed to my wife on the phone at lunch time about the loss of life - I felt guilty - guilty for having a nights sleeps whilst a few miles away it was all happening. Once of my students wasn't able to come in to college (I'm a teacher) the following day, she was at the scene of the explosion. She suffered minor injuries but was at home. Thing was, she wouldn't get out of the bath - she was washing away what no child should have matted in their hair or stuck to their skin - and yet the thing that made me me proud to live where I do was simply the young people I see every day making the most of everything and trying to carry on with their exams - picknicing in the sun, talking about what happened, suppporting each other. This probably sounds cathartic and it is - at work one has to be strong for the youngsters we work with, as a manager supporting staff is equally important and working in loco parentis means ensuring parents and guardians are assured of the safety of their children - so it's difficult to let off steam outside of the home.

So back to the original question posed - would the sadness in Manchester alter my thoughts of Europe - if I'm honest - for the first 12 hours afterwards yes, but that's only natural. A week on and the sadness hasn't gone away but the resilience and determination to continue is there. Last October we (Mrs C and I) were back in Paris having been away for nearly 10 years - were we afraid? - not a jot!

This August will see us in Nice for the day (summer Reflcetion cruise) meeting up with our next door neighbours -family! :) - who just happen to spend their summer in the region each year - and again the thought of the sadness visited on the city previously has made us more determined to carry on and to make the most of the beauty of the South of France.

My (our) home is Europe not matter what our politicians (and indeed fellow citizens) might say I most definately will not be changing the way I want to lead my life on the basis of the abhorrent and digusting actions of others. I look forward to continuing to visit the incredibly vibrant and beatutiful countries that make up this continent.

S

I'll still be traveling, too, but I always cringe at comments of the sort "I'm more in danger being hit by a drunk driver".

The car being driven by a drunk driver is not a weapon that was carefully planned specifically to kill and maim as many innocent bystanders as possible, all in the name of some ideology.

It is the same. If you are dead, you are dead, no matter what the source.

I'll still be traveling, too, but I always cringe at comments of the sort "I'm more in danger being hit by a drunk driver".

The car being driven by a drunk driver is not a weapon that was carefully planned specifically to kill and maim as many innocent bystanders as possible, all in the name of some ideology...................

There are orders of magnitues more drunk drivers, drug drivers and idiot drivers using a cellphone on the roads than all the ideological head cases in the entire world. Lets not even consider the ones with guns who will take exception to you not allowing them to cut in late or inadvertantly crossing their path.

Unless you live in a cave half way up a mountain you are as safe in Europe as at home.

During the 1980s, there were some 30 bombings in Paris, most with multiple fatalities. I travelled there on business several times a year, including in March 1986, the month following three separate bomb attacks. During my March visit, when walking on my way back to my hotel, I missed the bomb attack against the Point Show gallery on the Champs-Élysées by less than five minutes.

Scary? Absolutely. Did I stop travelling to Paris? Of course not, no more than I stop driving when there's a fatal motor vehicle accident on a road that I drive on regularly.

Recent events such as the one in Manchester won't change our plans for our trip later this year. I'm more concerned with the political rhetoric impacting our relationship with allies and the tone that may set with the populace otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
A good advice to everyone beeing afraid of terrorism: stay away from populated areas and you will most likely be safe..

I've seen Deliverance starring Burt Reynolds. Get too far from populated areas and you'll be hearing banjoes.

I've seen Deliverance starring Burt Reynolds. Get too far from populated areas and you'll be hearing banjoes.

Or told to "squeal like a little piggy" or how "you have a real purty mouth, boy."

whatever will bewilder me