Sea sickness

hcross888

I have never taken an ocean cruise. I have enjoyed 3 different river cruises though. Given that the Viking Ocean ships are smaller, did you have notice more movement than on a big ship?

Thanks!

Hcross

We just were on the Homelands cruise, and while I am very sensitive to motion sickness, I never had any issues. Only once did I feel the ship moving, and it was from Stockholm to Helsinki and more of a rumbling feeling than anything swaying. A welcome reprieve from the turbulence on the big Royal Princess ship in the British Isles!

It's a floating vessel. They all move. Just thinking about it makes me sick. I cruise yearly and just make sure I pack plenty of Bonine. The stuff has saved many a cruise for me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I take ginger capsules and find them very helpful in preventing seasickness. You can buy them in any drugstore with the vitamins and supplements. I take one 30 minutes before departure then one with every meal. It works for me.

Bonine and Ginger go with me on every trip. We had rough seas in the North Sea.....and that combination worked well for me.

There are no guarantees you won't experience some high seas.....but I can tell you that the Viking Star handled them extremely well.

Some people need stronger than Bonine, but for me I don't like the side affects of the prescriptions....for others that is not a problem. Some people use a Sea sickness wrist band,,,,,

Take some precautions with you just in case.

To the point in your question.....I felt less movement on the Star than on the larger ships we have sailed on. But that is my perception - I have no idea if it is fact.

It's a floating vessel. They all move. Just thinking about it makes me sick. I cruise yearly and just make sure I pack plenty of Bonine. The stuff has saved many a cruise for me.

If you're interested in saving megabucks, buy meclazine (generic bonine ) from Amazon. I think a 1000 25mg are about $40.00. ENJOY!!!

I bring 14 for a 7 day cruise and usually bring home 3-4. I take 1/2 twice a day unless I am on a bus or small boat or the ship is really rocking. They expire, so 300 is too many unless you live on the ship.

I bring 14 for a 7 day cruise and usually bring home 3-4. I take 1/2 twice a day unless I am on a bus or small boat or the ship is really rocking. They expire, so 300 is too many unless you live on the ship.

My wife and I are taking the 141 day World Cruise this Fall so 300 is a reasonable amount. My only point is that Bonine runs about a buck a pill, whereas the generic is about 4 cents. The choice is yours!

My husband uses Scopolamine patches (perscription) if there is stormy weather predicted when aboard sailboats. He put one on (it is good for 3 days) when the weather got ugly for a day on our Baltic cruise. We will take a few with us on the World Cruise , but it is not something to use long term. Only side effect he experiences is dry mouth but everyone is different.

I would also not take even an OTC (other than ginger) Meclazine without discussing it with a physician&/or pharmacist.

Also if possible try out a new medication before traveling so you don't experience a bad side effect far from home or in an airplane!

We buy meclizine off Amazon or at Target. Bonnie is just a brand name which you pay dearly for. We rode out a hurricane using it without getting sick at all. We take it everyday whether we need it or not as it takes awhile to play catch up if you unexpectedly hit rough seas and already feeling a bit queasy. We have zero side affects using it. Try it at home first just to make sure. Best part of it is that it's non drowsy unlike Dramamine.

In addition to Ginger and Bonine, I have used homeopathic little pill made by Hylands called 'Motion Sickness'. It dissolves under your tongue and helped me out when I was waiting for the Bonine to kick in - it can be found at a lot of places.

But great advice given by Deec....check with Dr and test first!

If none of the above items work for you the ship's Dr. can give an injection (usually for a charge) that will induce an hour or two nap but will make you good for a week or more. Even though I have worked at sea in the past, I have used this on occasional times of very rough North Atlantic crossings on Cunard. I really don't think you will have much problem on this ship though. Bon Voyage.:cool:

It's always a good idea to check with one's doctor before using any drug. They gave out generic meclizine at the Pursers's desk so long ago in 1997 when I was on my first cruise on the NCL Norway and found myself green on my bunk bed. My friends talked me into trying it, even though the package said not to take if one has asthma. I have asthma. So I ate it crumb by crumb and slowly the sickness just disappeared and I felt so much better! I've been using it ever since. I also bring ginger chews. The wrist bands don't work for me, even electric ones. I'm not interested in scopolamine. I insist on a balcony room so I can get out in the air and look at the horizon. The generic is really the same as brand names.