Want to go to Mendenhall via taxi, wants to collect $7 pp for US forest charge?

MTV43

We always take the city bus. It drops you off about a mile from Mendenhall so you have to be able to walk that, but it's a very pretty walk! We've never had to pay a US Forest charge to get in. We were last there in '15 so possibly that might have changed I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh yes, there was a fee ($3 I think in '15) to get into the visitors center where there are exhibits and a video. But not to walk the trails and go to the glacier and falls itself. You could use the restrooms without paying the fee, but according to the link above, not any more. If you haven't been before, it is worth going!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wondered the same thing and called the US Forest Service to inquire.

Spoke with Jesse from the park and she confirmed the $2/pp fee that the cabs need to collect is separate from the $5/pp daily fee that's on their website. The $2/pp is a permit fee that is charged to all commercial operators that take visitors to the park. Whereas some companies like the blue or white shuttle buses include the $2 permit fee and the $5 daily fee in their $30 price, the cab companies cannot because they run on a meter. So they collect these fees separately.

If you have the Senior Pass or Season Pass, you will need to have your card with you to show the cab driver. The pass covers only the daily fee listed on the website. You will still need to pay the cab driver $2/pp to cover the permit fee.

Here's the original thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52971299#post52971299