Noordam north to Alaska notes

bennybear

Just thought I would share our recent experience to Alaska. We stayed at a lovely hotel the Coast Coal Harbour, a Japanese chain with the funny toilets in Vancouver. We got upgraded to a beautiful view room. The location was excellent. Would highly recommend the Coast restaurant not in th hotel for excellent fresh fish.

We were excited to see the Noordam as we last spent 20 days on her in the Med several years ago. We found the main areas to be in good shape but our signature suite needed updating and some replacement of ratty deck chairs and painting of a good several inches of rust in the bathroom. We had paid a lot for the upgrade and were disappointed. The toilet malfunctioned on three days for several hours each day and it took several phone calls to get it fixed. In comparison on our last two cruises the queen Victoria is a lot nicer looking as is the Royal princess.

The food was generally very good. Though we found the service in the pinnacle grill not to the standard of the MDR. A wait of nearly an hour between appetizer and main course, followed by total ignoring of the bread crumbs made it less than expected.

We had overall very cool with a lot of windy weather other than our sail away. Our day at Glacier Bay was sublime with beautiful blue skies!

Unfortunately I contracted influenza the last day onboard, which resulted in 5 phone calls and waking us up telling us not to put our luggage out at 11 pm, again at midnight with the return of one suitcase and then again 20 minutes later. Then we were called again at 6 am to put it out again as they had changed their minds yet again. Quite shocking way of handling the situation.

Thanks for the good wishes! There seemed to be several ill people unfortunately. I wonder if it is connected at all with the flu season down under where the ship just came from. I just wish they knew what the protocol was for medical and not change it three times during the night.

The ship overall seemed good in the public areas. Newer carpets but must be about due for a refurb. Bathroom was very tired looking. Small television in awkward spot. Staff were very good overall.