Are Princess Alaska Cruises Typically Oversold in June?

YYC009

Hi All:

I am booked on the Island Princess out of Whittier on June 14 in a guarantee balcony. No specific cabin assignment has been given yet.

On their website it shows that all the balconies, mini-suites, and suites are now sold out.

Does Princess usually oversell their Alaska Cruises in June? Do I have a hope of a move-over offer?

Many thanks!

YYC009

Hi All:

I am booked on the Island Princess out of Whittier on June 14 in a guarantee balcony. No specific cabin assignment has been given yet.

On their website it shows that all the balconies, mini-suites, and suites are now sold out.

Does Princess usually oversell their Alaska Cruises in June? Do I have a hope of a move-over offer?

Many thanks!

YYC009

Most Princess cruises sell out especially Alaska.

A GTY......Usually can be/assigned sometime/anytime up to a day or 2 before your cruise. Very rarely assigned at the pier. You can access bag tags/travel summary on the Princess cruise personalizer on the Princess website up to sailing day. The cabin assignment will be noted there.

Sometimes people think it was assigned at the pier but had they checked the personalizer the night before their cruise they may have seen the cabin assignment at that time. Hope this makes sense.

Just because it says sold out does not mean they won't have a cabin for you. Princess keeps cabins behind the scenes. They have been doing this forever and have it down to a science. You will have a cabin.

Princess has this process down to a science doing it year after year cruise after cruise.

Don't count on a move over offer!

Sailing out of Whittier your chances are slim. More people seem to want to cruise from LA , Seattle, Vancouver, S.F. & west coast ports which are easier to get to. Flights to Whittier are not as convenient.

We are booked on a July 8th cruise out of Whittier and received an upsell offer a few weeks ago. We have three cabins booked, and all three got the email. The last time I cruised in Alaska the move offer came around the same time. So based on that, I would assume you just haven't been assigned yet and they are finalizing the upsells to see what is left.

Sailing out of Whittier your chances are slim. More people seem to want to cruise from LA , Seattle, Vancouver, S.F. & west coast ports which are easier to get to. Flights to Whittier are not as convenient.

I have had a few move over offers from Whittier in the past.

I disagree - Princess has 4 ships doing one way cruises - they are in demand. They only have 1 out of SFO, 2 out of Seattle, 1 sailing out of Vancouver RT during the regular season and only 1 or 2 out of LA per year.

Maybe you don't want to sail out of Whittier/Anchorage but others do! I personally would never take an Alaskan cruise out of LA or SFO. I am not even a fan of my Alaskan cruise out of Seattle.

Hi All:

Many thanks!

YYC009

Just like the airlines cruise lines routinely "oversell" their ships to ensure they sail at 100% occupancy. This can happen on all sailing dates and cruise lines so this isn't exclusive to Alaska. People do cancel right up to departure for a variety of reasons and they want ever cabin to be occupied. When you book a GTY cabin you can be assigned a cabin anytime up to pier check-in; however, they do like to have everyone berth at least a few days prior to sailing date if possible. So be patience, don't worry and keep checking your Online Personalizer page for cabin assignment. You will be sailing and will have a cabin assignment and yes the Upgrade fairy might be very generous. Yes, it's always possible you might be offered a "moveover" offer. You can accept the offer or decline it and sail as planned. The option is entirely yours.

...So be patience, don't worry and keep checking your Online Personalizer page for cabin assignment. You will be sailing and will have a cabin assignment and yes the Upgrade fairy might be very generous. Yes, it's always possible you might be offered a "moveover" offer. You can accept the offer or decline it and sail as planned. The option is entirely yours.

Don't worry... I am not worried... I am the guy that is usually elbowing my way to the front when the airline calls for volunteers and I wouldn't want to miss out on a great offer if they only need one or two cabins. Hence why I was curious to the process... I love to make a deal!

The other way works good too if the upgrade fairies are playing nicely.

Both times we did not receive a cabin assignment before leaving home were for Alaskan cruises. For one, we received the cabin assignment in Seattle a few days before the cruise. On the other, we received the cabin assignment in Fairbanks while we were on the land portion of a cruise tour.