Getting to Maho Beach and Back

When we were there a few weeks ago, the larger planes were coming in after 11:30

It's always good to check the schedule for the day in advance as it changes from one day to the next and from season to season. Looking at this week, the big boys coming from Amsterdam arrive at 3:25pm and 4:35pm (KLM - Airbus 330 and Arkefly - Boeing 787) and from Paris at 1:45pm (Air France - Airbus 340). But they don't operate daily (KLM is flying the route 4 times this week, Arkefly 2 times, and Air France 3 times).

Same applies for narrowbody jets arriving from the USA. Flights don't operate daily with some routes operating on the weekends only.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've got relaxing beach day excursions already planned for my days in St. Thomas and Nassau, so the St. Maarten day and reason for Maho Beach is more about the thrill of seeing the planes than going to a beach. :)

That can be fun, too bad you won't see this again:

klm747still.jpg

When taking a taxi back, if you ask for a ride to the port they may drop you off downtown a few hundred yards from the port. From the port there is a $7 (as of last May) water taxi, that takes you the 800 yards back to the ship. The cab drivers are encouraged by the shops to drop you off there. If you want to go directly to the ship, you have to specifically say, "to the ship" If you are physically able the 1/2 mile walk from the port to the ship isn't bad and helps burn off calories.

Suggestion on way to get to Maho beach after shopping in Marigot.

Take a cab from Marigot to Maho, then take a cab from Maho to the ship.

Maho is located half way between Marigot and Phillipsburg - no need for the extra travel distance by going back to Phillipsburg.

Plane schedules

Once at Maho you will see a large slate the size of a surfboard listing the the times when the planes are due to come in. Think of it as a menu board.

The only light on the island is the one that crosses Simpson Bay, which you have to go over to get to Phillipsburg. Even though the distance is only about 5 miles from Maho to the ship, it could take up to an hour if you leave after 3 p.m.

Hope this helps

Yes, VERY helpful! Thank you!

Ok, I recently found that if the port is crowded, Maho Beach is insane and people were saying 3 ships is crowded... then... I looked it up and there will be 10 ships when I will be there! WHAT?! So new question... worth even trying to go see at this point or is this a better luck next time kind of thing...?

I'm new to knowing what the "big" planes are so when I find/look at the schedule, how will I know which ones are which?

Any plane arriving from Europe will most likely be one of the "big boys". However, the smaller narrowbody jets arriving from any US city will still provide a pretty big thrill. They may not be as big as the widebodies arriving from Europe, but they are big enough. Here's one of Delta's 737's arriving from Atlanta.

n302dq-delta-air-lines-boeing-737-732wl_PlanespottersNet_360104.jpg

Ok, I recently found that if the port is crowded, Maho Beach is insane and people were saying 3 ships is crowded... then... I looked it up and there will be 10 ships when I will be there! WHAT?! So new question... worth even trying to go see at this point or is this a better luck next time kind of thing...?

10 ships?? When will you be there?

I'd still head out there. You'll never know how crowded it is and if it's worth it until you get there. And remember that not everybody cares for it.

Maho Beach had been in my bucket list for years. The first time that I planned on going there was on a cruise back in 2008 only to arrive in St. Maarten under pouring rain. I decided to wait "until the next time" thinking that it wouldn't be worth it (while others did go and said that it was still awesome). Well, it took me 8 years to go back there! I finally got my wish in 2016. But that was one looooong wait.

10 ships?? When will you be there?

I'd still head out there. You'll never know how crowded it is and if it's worth it until you get there. And remember that not everybody cares for it.

Maho Beach had been in my bucket list for years. The first time that I planned on going there was on a cruise back in 2008 only to arrive in St. Maarten under pouring rain. I decided to wait "until the next time" thinking that it wouldn't be worth it (while others did go and said that it was still awesome). Well, it took me 8 years to go back there! I finally got my wish in 2016. But that was one looooong wait.

How many ships were in port with you on the day that you visited Maho?

How many ships were in port with you on the day that you visited Maho?

Our ship was the only one (MSC Divina). We were in port from 1pm until 9pm and we arrived in Maho Beach around 2:30pm. With only one ship in town and an afternoon visit (where we had missed most of the big arrivals), the beach was pretty quiet with tons of space to move around. There were plenty of tables available at nearby (and popular) Sunset Bar which is another great viewing point if you don't care about being right underneath the airplanes. We actually ordered some drinks there, walked along the beach and came back about an hour later and the same table was still available.

Our ship was the only one (MSC Divina). We were in port from 1pm until 9pm and we arrived in Maho Beach around 2:30pm. With only one ship in town and an afternoon visit (where we had missed most of the big arrivals), the beach was pretty quiet with tons of space to move around. There were plenty of tables available at nearby (and popular) Sunset Bar which is another great viewing point if you don't care about being right underneath the airplanes. We actually ordered some drinks there, walked along the beach and came back about an hour later and the same table was still available.

One ship in port. A great time indeed to visit Maho!

I was looking at the list of ships and I noticed that some are listed more than once. It seems like there will be 7 ships in port. Still, that's a pretty large number of ships at once in St. Maarten! Hope it's still enjoyable! [emoji3]