Getting to Maho Beach and Back

I have an excursion booked to go to the Marigot Butterfly Farm in St. Maarten which is only 8:30 a.m. to noon. My ship doesn't leave until 5 p.m. so I wanted to maybe go to Maho Beach for an hour or so to watch the planes, but the cruiseline is only offering a 10 a.m. Maho Beach excursion, so I'd have to get there and back on my own. Question 1) Are taxis readily available both at the pier and then at the beach to get back? Question 2) I hear there is bad traffic getting back to the pier, so what time would I need to leave Maho Beach to get back to the ship with time to spare? Question 3) My excursion has 2 shopping stops after the Butterfly Farm, but if I choose not to get off at the 2nd stop, it will actually take me back to the ship. If I get off at the 2nd shopping stop, I have to find my own transportation back to the ship anyway, so, what would be easier/better: getting a taxi to Maho from the port (via skipping the 2nd shopping stop) or from the shopping stop in Philipsburg? and Question 4) Am I missing anything if I do skip Phillipsburg to get back to the ship?

There will be taxis available at both locations. Flat rates apply. Do allow yourself plenty of time to return to the ship as traffic can be pretty heavy at times. You may also want to check the flight schedules in advance to make sure it's worth your while. The wide body jets coming from Europe arrive earlier in the afternoon and they don't operate daily. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

I also really recommend going even for a short time on adjacent Mullet beach which is simply beautiful in comparison to Maho.

I've got relaxing beach day excursions already planned for my days in St. Thomas and Nassau, so the St. Maarten day and reason for Maho Beach is more about the thrill of seeing the planes than going to a beach. :)

There will be taxis available at both locations. Flat rates apply. Do allow yourself plenty of time to return to the ship as traffic can be pretty heavy at times. You may also want to check the flight schedules in advance. The wide body airplanes coming from Europe arrive earlier in the afternoon and they don't operate daily. Enjoy!

How do you check flight schedules to know what will be arriving that day? And how much is "plenty of time"? My ship departs at 5 p.m. I've never been so I don't know how long the trip takes without traffic or how much a delay there is when there is traffic, so what time do I need to leave the beach to get back in time? 2 p.m.? 3 p.m.?

What are your two shopping spots? If downtown Philipsburg is the second one, why are you going back to the ship? Why not take either the public bus from there to Maho or grab a cab?

That's essentially my question. If I need to skip Phillipsburg to get back to the ship to catch a taxi from the port to Maho, or get to Maho directly from Phillipsburg? I've never been, so I don't know what's closer/easier. My excursion is the Butterfly Farm and then a shopping stop in Marigot and then an optionional 2nd shopping stop in Phillispburg (the transportation continues back to the port if choose to opt out of Phillipsburg). So which would be easier/better to get to Maho, from the port or Phillipsburg?

Just a note, we went on a cruise that specifically went to St. Martin for the airport.

Make sure you either get a taxi or tour, right to the airport in the morning.

All the planes are scheduled to arrive before 11 or so.

I got a tour guy and asked twice if we were going by the airport, at about 8am, he said yes both times, the head guide also said we wanted to be dropped off at the airport.

Should have asked which direction we were going. We went the opposite direction and ended up at the airport about 12, no more planes were scheduled.

Lesson learned

How do you check flight schedules to know what will be arriving that day? And how much is "plenty of time"? My ship departs at 5 p.m. I've never been so I don't know how long the trip takes without traffic or how much a delay there is when there is traffic, so what time do I need to leave the beach to get back in time? 2 p.m.? 3 p.m.?

You can check flights on either the flightstats website or the sxmairport website. It took us about 30 minutes to get there from the port and about 45 minutes to get back (we returned around 5pm). If you have a 5pm departure. I would plan to be in a taxi cab no later than 3:15pm

We got to Maho around 2:30pm and we saw several narrowbody jets arriving from the USA from American, JetBlue and Delta.

That's essentially my question. If I need to skip Phillipsburg to get back to the ship to catch a taxi from the port to Maho, or get to Maho directly from Phillipsburg? I've never been, so I don't know what's closer/easier. My excursion is the Butterfly Farm and then a shopping stop in Marigot and then an optionional 2nd shopping stop in Phillispburg (the transportation continues back to the port if choose to opt out of Phillipsburg). So which would be easier/better to get to Maho, from the port or Phillipsburg?

I would tell them you are going to get yourself back to the ship from downtown Philipsburg and take a cab from there or the public bus which you can get from Back Street for either $2 or $3 pp. The buses are 15 passenger vans and are very safe. Cab will be more expensive but will take you directly there. The bus goes the same route by stops on demand (you just wave them down) and they drop off where ever someone needs to get off. The bus is a fun experience because the locals are so friendly and willing to offer help if needed.

I would suggest you google a map and you will see going back to the ship is backtracking and will just waste your time. I would also leave Maho by 3 pm at the drop dead latest. All aboard will be 4:30pm for a 5pm departure so you do not want to be the one holding up the ship or waving at everyone on their balconies as the ship sails away.;p:D

We saw 2 large planes between 1pm and 3pm, but don't know if they run everyday. I would leave the tour in Margot, take a cab, fixed rate and that way you'll have plenty of time in Maho. Leave no later than 2:45 to 3:00 to make it back by all aboard 4:30. Don't forget your camera and stay away from the fence.:cool:

Average time to get back to ship is 45 min. if no traffic, but plan for it. If you go back to Phillipsburg, you'll be backtracking. Don't go back to the ship, that's backtracking even more.

I guess you could look the airport schedule somehow, to see if there are planes arriving...you could always check on departing flights by doing "mock" bookings out of that airport.

You could also go to a local airport and watch the planes take off and land....Reagan National (in DC) has a lovely viewing area....I'd imagine there are spots around most airports where you can watch the planes!

Go to the Princess Juliana Airport web site at

sxmairport.com

you can check the arrival and departure schedules there.

We have been to Maho a couple of times and there are a number of larger planes arriving between 12noon and 3pm.

mac_tlc

You could also go to a local airport and watch the planes take off and land....Reagan National (in DC) has a lovely viewing area....I'd imagine there are spots around most airports where you can watch the planes!

You apparently have not been to Maho Beach. OP does not want to see planes take off, she wants to see them land!!

Google it.

I'm guessing you've never been to Maho either... it's not just "watching planes" but the fact that they are only a couple of hundred feet over your head... you should google Maho Beach, or look up YouTube videos, it's crazy!

plane-landing-maho-beach-11.jpg

We saw 2 large planes between 1pm and 3pm, but don't know if they run everyday. I would leave the tour in Margot, take a cab, fixed rate and that way you'll have plenty of time in Maho. Leave no later than 2:45 to 3:00 to make it back by all aboard 4:30. Don't forget your camera and stay away from the fence.:cool:

Average time to get back to ship is 45 min. if no traffic, but plan for it. If you go back to Phillipsburg, you'll be backtracking. Don't go back to the ship, that's backtracking even more.

Thanks! This helps! I guess I didn't think of the option to go to Maho from Marigot. Good idea! I can do some shopping then head to the beach when I'm ready from there. (I'm not missing anything by not going to Phillipsburg am I or shopping pretty much same at both stops?) I absolutely would love to have the fence experience but I hear it's actually illegal and cops watch it like a hawk now... lol...

Save

Thanks! This helps! I guess I didn't think of the option to go to Maho from Marigot. Good idea! I can do some shopping then head to the beach when I'm ready from there. (I'm not missing anything by not going to Phillipsburg am I or shopping pretty much same at both stops?) I absolutely would love to have the fence experience but I hear it's actually illegal and cops watch it like a hawk now... lol...

Save

The flavor and shopping are very different. I would shop for a short time in Marigot, very French, well it is French. After Maho just be taken to the ship. There will be lots of last minute shopping by the pier. Phillipsburg will be about a mile walk to the ship and everything you'll need will be right by the ship anyway. Have a great time.:D

The flavor and shopping are very different. I would shop for a short time in Marigot, very French, well it is French. After Maho just be taken to the ship. There will be lots of last minute shopping by the pier. Phillipsburg will be about a mile walk to the ship and everything you'll need will be right by the ship anyway. Have a great time.:D

That's true, looking at a map, Phillipsburg does seem to be close to the ship, so I could always do the last minute port shopping there after I get back from Maho Beach. I recently found something online called Guavaberry Emporium that seems to be right by the ship, so was thinking of checking that out before I board anyway...

Save

Suggestion on way to get to Maho beach after shopping in Marigot.

Take a cab from Marigot to Maho, then take a cab from Maho to the ship.

Maho is located half way between Marigot and Phillipsburg - no need for the extra travel distance by going back to Phillipsburg.

Plane schedules

Once at Maho you will see a large slate the size of a surfboard listing the the times when the planes are due to come in. Think of it as a menu board.

The only light on the island is the one that crosses Simpson Bay, which you have to go over to get to Phillipsburg. Even though the distance is only about 5 miles from Maho to the ship, it could take up to an hour if you leave after 3 p.m.

Hope this helps

That's true, looking at a map, Phillipsburg does seem to be close to the ship, so I could always do the last minute port shopping there after I get back from Maho Beach. I recently found something online called Guavaberry Emporium that seems to be right by the ship, so was thinking of checking that out before I board anyway...

Save

Yes, Guavaberry is only available in ST Maartin, a delicious souvenir to take home. Just so we are clear, I would suggest you be taken back to the ship area to finish shopping there.

If you are dropped off in Phillipsburg, you can catch a ferry or a cab to the ship, extra expense.

So no more large 4 engine planes.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Not as big as the 747, but Air France operates the 4 engined Airbus 340. Still a pretty big thrill!

f-gnii-air-france-airbus-a340-313_PlanespottersNet_367099.jpg

Years ago we have seen some children and crazy drunks hanging on the fence for dear life in a horizontal position. Last time we were there, the cops controlled all that and even stopped traffic.

It's still an exhilarating experience with a beer in your hand and hair blowing wildly. Also take pics of all the sayings in the restroom if still there.

Not as big as the 747, but Air France operates the 4 engined Airbus 340. Still a pretty big thrill!

f-gnii-air-france-airbus-a340-313_PlanespottersNet_367099.jpg

Thanks for that info. I was very sad when they announced no more 747 at st Julianna airport. Now i know to watch for the Airbus 340. Pretty close in thrust as a340 has 996kN vs. 1,128kN on the 747. Just love seeing the crazies hanging onto the fence. The more thrust, the funnier it is.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk