Food Allergies - Contacting the Special Dietary Needs Staff

Cruising on Grandeur in August with my 6 year old daughter who has celiac disease (can't eat gluten or anything that has come in contact with gluten).

I've read all over that RCCL is great with this. My TA put a note in my booking about it but told me I should contact the dietary needs office at RCCL and I've see this come up as a suggestion on threads on here too.

My question is... are there things in particular I should be prepared to discuss/ask them?

I have some basic questions (what kind of "kid food" might be available, we have MTD set up but would it be better to have a set dining time to have the same waiter to know her situation, etc.) but are there things I need to say to make sure this goes seamlessly? What have others with family members with food allergies discussed with RCCL?

Do they order different foods or amounts of certain foods based on what people say on these calls?

Also, is this a phone call or an email?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

You might be able to get the same waitstaff in MTD, but it's not guaranteed. I would think traditional seating is best if you have special dietary needs...they really get to know you that way.

All you need to do is tell them the severity of your daughter's celiac condition, and they will do their very best. This is something they dealt with on EVERY cruise!

I also have a food allergy and would recommend traditional dining. The staff get to know you, the Maitre D stops by to check on you, they bring you the next days menu so you can select what you want to eat and they'll make it safe for you! I've never had MTD, but I just love the attention to detail so much I don't think I'll ever not go with traditional seating.

Just got off Adventure of the Seas. We did MTD, but we requested the same table and wait staff each night. My daughter is lactose intolerant and I have a gluten sensitivity. Granted, neither of us has a severe allergy. However, the service was AMAZING. Each night at dinner, the waiter and head waiter checked in with us to go over our menu selections for the next dinner. Each morning in the Windjammer, that same head waiter found us and brought over special items for us, including dairy and gluten free packaged cookies so we could bring them off on our excursions. The assistant waiter (actually waitress) was also attentive, bringing me gluten free bread each night, and bringing my daughter and me oil and vinegar for our bread when she realized we preferred that over butter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I also have a food allergy and would recommend traditional dining. The staff get to know you, the Maitre D stops by to check on you, they bring you the next days menu so you can select what you want to eat and they'll make it safe for you! I've never had MTD, but I just love the attention to detail so much I don't think I'll ever not go with traditional seating.

We on the Allure of the Seas last week and this was our experience as well.

Just got off Oasis with my 3 year old niece who has a severe peanut allergy. Would also suggest traditional dining. Even though my SIL had contacted RCI about the situation in advance and was told our waiter and the head waiter would be prepared, she still had to set things up on the first night. After that, it went very smoothly. Her food was ordered in advance and came right out for the rest of the trip. Giovanni's also went smoothly since everything is cooked to order and not as pre-prepared as the MDR.

I also have severe food allergies. Rccl is more than accommodating with my dietary needs. We usually eat in specialty at night, but have the same waiter every night. The chefs in the windjammer are amazing, and most will remember you during the cruise. Just ask and they will walk you around and show you what is safe/not safe. If I go to open seating lunch; I just tell the wait stall when I am seated and have no issues. (Knock on wood) I am able to avoid reactions by keeping my food choices simple. I don't order anything that is made with something I'm allergic to expecting it to be allergen free.. that's not fair to the kitchen or to potentially put myself at risk for a cross contamination. I usually order steak and a salad. Lol/ it does not bother me to eat the same thing. At chops it's easy: shrimp cocktail, the onion soup, filet steak with veggies and a bite a cheesecake. If for some reason there is an allergic reaction the hospital will fix you right up: hubby had reaction to medication and pineapple juice, passed out on deck and was revived and at dinner within a few hours.. I feel safe.. when we travel in Europe I make up little cards in the local language with items I'm allergic to and hand it over to waitstaff. Have still been presented with food obviously containing allergens, have sent it back and was able to tell they just picked the offending item off the platter and brought it back to the table [emoji47]. We have a younger family member with celiacs it's very hard for her, she even has to use special shampoo so her head doesn't break out in a rash..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums