ATCV venice water taxi and Shuttle bus striking on the 16th of June

minikiss

Hi All looking to see if anyone else has heard this is true?

we fly in to Venice on Friday at 9am and just read the water taxis and buses run by ACTV are on strike at 9am until 4.30pm .

We were looking forward to a water taxi to get us to the hotel but now it's not looking possible.:')

Just looking to see if any one has any other suggestions or can confirm it's true.

There is a big general strike planned for Friday the 16th that will impact most public transit throughout the country.

The terminology of Venice is tricky. A water taxi is a private concern, like a land taxi, and not part of the public transit system. Now, these folks may or may not strike in concert with their public union brothers but I would imagine they'll take the opportunity to make some money.

Water taxis are an expensive way to get around on a normal day. Legally they are not allowed to increase their prices because of a strike but I'm not sure how that works out in reality. At minimum I would expect that you'd be forced to share a taxi when under normal circumstances you would have it to yourself.

Start contacting taxi companies immediately, I'm sure they'll book up.

This is one but there are others: http://www.venezianamotoscafi.it/en/

Thanks for the info. We were told it effected the water taxis run by ATCV to. We've decided to book a private land taxi to get us in. MIL is a little concerned now about the flight or baggage handling if we get to take off and land. Not a problem to us to much as we are only going for a long weekend with hand luggage. They though are getting on the NCL Star on Sunday so will have 2 suit cases in tow......Not seen anything from the Airline to worry us to much at the moment. She's going to try and get hold of her TA in the hope they can find out a bit more than we can with Google. My Italian is none existent so most of the pages I was unable to read. Though it's Looking likely that we will doing a lot of walking on Friday if we get to the hotel. Fingers crossed.

Depending on where your hotel is you might be better off with a water taxi. Again, they are NOT run by ACTV, that's the vaporettos. A lot gets lost in translation.

If your hotel isn't right near Piazzale Roma you're going to want help to get there, it would be easier to simply book a private water taxi from the airport for all four of you.

According to the announcement on the ACTV web site they will provide as much service during the strike as they have personnel for. In other words, there will be some vaporettos running but they will be crowded, for sure: http://actv.avmspa.it/it/content/sciopero-24h-venerd%C3%AC-16-giugno-2017

Thanks Euro Cruiser & dogs4fun, we did see that ATVO is also effected and as we arrive at 9.20am we can't use them either. A wait of up to 3 hours and then no guarantee is not favourable.

The land taxi will do as we are not far from the station, about 10 mins walk so can cope with that. The vaporetto would have been better as there is a stop just across from where the hotel is and would have been closer, but never mind.

MIL is now panicking more about lost or delayed luggage than getting away from the airport. I don't seem to be able to find out how else the airport will be effected.

thanks for your help and info.

For what it's worth, the airport's web site has no mention of a strike in its news feed (there is mention of a previous strike, however, so apparently they do use the forum for announcements about strikes). The important announcement on the home page of the site is about the left luggage office being closed temporarily.

I don't know if that will ease her concerns but it's the best I can find.

http://www.veniceairport.it/comunicati/year-2017.html