Accident while on Cruise

easyboy

Sharks don't like human flesh? Ha! :') :D That's just something said to make people feel better. Unfortunately, in all my years working for the USCG and conducting maritime investigations, not to mention 20 years living in the Keys diving, snorkeling and spearfishing, I've seen my fair share of shark incidents ranging from bites to complete human consumption. Most of the bites can be attributed to human stupidity (messing with the sharks), but the total consumption incidents, well, those sharks seemed to like the taste just fine.

Maybe people are like Brussel Sprouts, some like it and some don't.;p

One can have credit cards but not use them.

But the difference is you can have them and bring them on a trip and should you have an emergency you will use them

Some posters here say they just don't have credit cards

Doesn't really matter to me either way what they do but I know I'm not going on any trip bug or small with out significant access to a line of credit

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, after 15 cruises, for the very first time I purchased trip insurance, mainly in case there are any medical issues. My husband are I are no longer spring chickens! Except for car, health, and home insurance, he is not the type to buy it. I didn't tell him, but if we end up needing it, it will be there, and I will have peace of mind regardless. Eight years ago, I went with the next higher tier for health insurance, rather than the lowest I had always gotten through my job. Three months later, I had a sudden lengthy illness with 4 months in the hospital (and that was just the first time...I ended up with 10 hospitalizations total). Just the hospital bill for the first 4 months was 1.2 million. Because of my health insurance, my out of pocket was $1,500.

Maybe people are like Brussel Sprouts, some like it and some don't.;p

I did a "swim with the sharks" excursion in the Bahamas once. The sharks were scavenger sharks, and don't eat live meat. But they will take a bite to test it out. We didn't really swim with them, just put flippers on our feet and held onto a rope in the water so our arms were not flailing about summoning the sharks to check out the appendages. After we got back in the boat, one of the tour guides would throw in dead fish for the sharks. The poor guy accidentally slipped into the water, and a shark nipped him. He was ok, but did get a small chunk taken out of him.

That lady who lost her arm was incredibly lucky, she could easily have died of blood loss before getting to competent medical aid. It seems like the people on site were able to take the necessary steps to avoid that scenario.

Good health insurance that includes international coverage in addition to travel insurance is a necessity. Unfortunately my father died suddenly while abroad on a sailing holiday, he'd been medevac'd from his boat and then airlifted to the mainland but in the end the medical staff couldn't save him. It was actually his health insurer and the sailing charter company that took care of most of the arrangements for us until my brother and I could get there to help my mother. We had to pay for the flights and accommodation for my brother & myself, but there wasn't a penny charged for any of the treatment for my dad or getting his body back home. The health insurers made all the transport arrangements for his body, and sorted flights home for my mother, they also booked seats on the same flights for my brother & I though we paid for those ourselves.

Believe me having good insurance is an incredible weight off your shoulders when dealing with that sort of scenario.

Well, after 15 cruises, for the very first time I purchased trip insurance, mainly in case there are any medical issues. My husband are I are no longer spring chickens! Except for car, health, and home insurance, he is not the type to buy it. I didn't tell him, but if we end up needing it, it will be there, and I will have peace of mind regardless. Eight years ago, I went with the next higher tier for health insurance, rather than the lowest I had always gotten through my job. Three months later, I had a sudden lengthy illness with 4 months in the hospital (and that was just the first time...I ended up with 10 hospitalizations total). Just the hospital bill for the first 4 months was 1.2 million. Because of my health insurance, my out of pocket was $1,500.

You should tell him, in case anything happens to you, or else he won't know it's available to use.

Responsible adults make their own decisions regarding cost/benefit of a passport and/or travel insurance. A problem arises however when somebody decides to roll the dice and not have one or both. Then if the "IF" happens some will then blame the cruise line or anyone other than themselves when they are out a huge sum of money.

The couple in the story was probably sailing on BCs and DLs. If so there is no way could they board a plane back to the US without some intervention from the US Consulate. That's a hard lesson and added more stress and expense on top of an already trying situation.