Snorkel Prices

luvtusang

I was wondering how much is it to rent snorkel gear in St. Maarten? I just need approximates to win and argument with the hubs! ;p I bought snorkel gear to take with us, and he thinks we could have rented it for cheap.

TIA!!!!!!!!!

Not sure of the price to rent. Often included in excursions.

We often take just mask and snorkel to putz around.

Then they are our own when we put the snorkel in our mouth. :)

gary

p.s. We don't worry much as we will accept the 'sanitized' gear if that's all we have.

I was wondering how much is it to rent snorkel gear in St. Maarten? I just need approximates to win and argument with the hubs! ;p I bought snorkel gear to take with us, and he thinks we could have rented it for cheap.

TIA!!!!!!!!!

Where are you planning on snorkeling in St. Maarten? Its not an island that's known to have great off beach snorkelling.

Not sure of the price to rent. Often included in excursions.

We often take just mask and snorkel to putz around.

Then they are our own when we put the snorkel in our mouth. :)

gary

p.s. We don't worry much as we will accept the 'sanitized' gear if that's all we have.

Good point!!

Honestly we are trying to go to the other side of the island and snorkel off the beach there. It is my daughters first time so it doesn't have to be anything fantastic just be able to see some fish and call it a snorkel.

Honestly we are trying to go to the other side of the island and snorkel off the beach there. It is my daughters first time so it doesn't have to be anything fantastic just be able to see some fish and call it a snorkel.

If you are going to St. Thomas on your cruise that would be a much better place for a beginner in every way imaginable IMO.

Am wondering what beach :) If your daughter is young (and not a strong swimmer) we would recommend going to Le Galion....which has calm waters suitable for children (under close supervision). The snorkeling there is not particularly good as its just a sandy bottom...but its likely she would see a few fish. To be honest, we cannot think of any beach on the island that would have decent snorkeling for children (Dawn Beach and Happy Bay can sometimes be OK for adult snorkeling). The folks that run the small beach facility at Le Galion actually do rent some snorkel stuff....but not sure they have equipment that would fit a child.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
The Scuba Shop will rent mask, snorkel, and fins for $10 a day or $30 a week.

As a long time (about fifty years) snorkeler and diver this always caused me some 2nd thoughts. No problem renting fins. Renting a mask is hit or miss...depending if they have a mask that properly fits your face. But its the snorkel that always bothered me. Would you use somebody elses toothbrush if they simply rinsed it in water (and perhaps some unknown solution). Would you use a athletic mouthpiece (to protect your teeth) if it had previously been used by others? But yet folks will, without a question, use a snorkel without any knowledge of who previously had it in their mouth...and what sanitary procedures were followed to make that snorkel bite piece safe. I have rented those things in the past...but have always felt much better having my own snorkel.

Hank

As a long time (about fifty years) snorkeler and diver this always caused me some 2nd thoughts. No problem renting fins. Renting a mask is hit or miss...depending if they have a mask that properly fits your face. But its the snorkel that always bothered me. Would you use somebody elses toothbrush if they simply rinsed it in water (and perhaps some unknown solution). Would you use a athletic mouthpiece (to protect your teeth) if it had previously been used by others? But yet folks will, without a question, use a snorkel without any knowledge of who previously had it in their mouth...and what sanitary procedures were followed to make that snorkel bite piece safe. I have rented those things in the past...but have always felt much better having my own snorkel.

Hank

At Creole Rock Water Sports at the Grand Case Beach Club you purchase the mouthpiece and rent the other equipment. It was $5 to purchase the mouthpiece about 5 years ago when we did just that.