Redemption of Carnival MasterCard Fun Points

pearose

I have a question for anyone who has done this before. I have enough fun points on my MasterCard to redeem for $100 on board credit at this time. There will be 4 of us staying in the same cabin on the same booking, but each of us will use a different on board account. When I redeem my points will it go to that booking or specifically to me? How will I be able to tell if it was applied specifically for MY on board account. We received a $50 OBC for that booking when I booked the cruise, and it shows under the booking information but it does not apply or show it specifically for any one person. Does anyone know how this works? TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We don't use points for onboard credit, either. We get double points using the card for the onboard account. Then, after the cruise, we apply our points back toward our cruise bill.

Exactly what we do. And if you are applying points against eligible purchases of $1500 or more, the redemption rate is 1.5% instead of the usual 1%. For this reason, we try to make sure we don't charge any Carnival purchase less than $1500. This means that we don't pre-purchase excursions, drink packages, etc. If we wait until we are on-board, then everything purchased on the S&S will more easily total more than $1500 - - particularly when we sail with 3 persons.

Just so you know - it takes 12,500 to get $100 OBC and only 10,000 points to get a statement credit of $100.00 on a Carnival purchase. Why would anyone want to use more points unnecessarily?

Use your card for your onboard account, earn double points, and then redeem points to erase some of the charges. There's no reason to do it the other way around. At least not that I can think of.

Okay, well one other scenario to consider. My husband has the Carnival mastercard and uses it toward $1,500 statement credit toward our cruise. I recently got the card in my name to obtain the free 10,000 bonus points and free $100 gift card. So I will be using my points toward $100 bar credit which I will definitely use while onboard. Don't plan on using the card for anything else so want to cash in these free bonus points for my cruise n November. So it does depend on your situation what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Okay, well one other scenario to consider. My husband has the Carnival mastercard and uses it toward $1,500 statement credit toward our cruise. I recently got the card in my name to obtain the free 10,000 bonus points and free $100 gift card. So I will be using my points toward $100 bar credit which I will definitely use while onboard. Don't plan on using the card for anything else so want to cash in these free bonus points for my cruise n November. So it does depend on your situation what works best for you.

Bar Cash is a better redemption rate than straight up OBC. I wish they would offer regular Cruise Cash though, as I wouldn't drink $100 worth by myself and I don't like to be restricted as to what I can and can't use it on especially since it's use it or lose it. But I can see in your case where it would be worth doing it that way.

Actually I just looked and you can get a Carnival Gift Card worth $100 for 10,000 points. That seems to be the best thing to do - for everyone not redeeming at the higher rate for purchases over $1500. Why mess with Bar Cash or Photo Cash when you can have the flexibility of a GC? You don't even have to use it on that cruise if you don't want to.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Bar Cash is a better redemption rate than straight up OBC. I wish they would offer regular Cruise Cash though, as I wouldn't drink $100 worth by myself and I don't like to be restricted as to what I can and can't use it on especially since it's use it or lose it. But I can see in your case where it would be worth doing it that way.

Actually I just looked and you can get a Carnival Gift Card worth $100 for 10,000 points. That seems to be the best thing to do - for everyone.

Thanks so much for that update about the Carnival Cards! Since I don't really use the card and don't check the site frequently wasn't aware of this addition. But would rather just have gift card instead of limiting to bar credit. Appreciate the heads up!

Thanks so much for that update about the Carnival Cards! Since I don't really use the card and don't check the site frequently wasn't aware of this addition. But would rather just have gift card instead of limiting to bar credit. Appreciate the heads up!

No problem! I just happened to check to see what was under the GC section. It may have been mentioned somewhere on here before, but I don't remember.

I only got the card for the initial 10,000 points as well and haven't used it since because there are much better cards out there. I'll just leave it at that as to not open up that discussion once again :). Enjoy!

You are better off redeeming for a statement credit. If you redeem for $100 OBC, you get $100 OBC. If you spend $100 and then redeem for a $100 statement credit, you get the points for the $100 that you spent, and then the statement credit takes care of it. You get to double dip just a little bit. That's 200 extra points you wouldn't have if you redeemed for OBC. Plus you won't have to worry about who's S&S account it's on, or anything like that.

You are better off redeeming for a statement credit. If you redeem for $100 OBC, you get $100 OBC. If you spend $100 and then redeem for a $100 statement credit, you get the points for the $100 that you spent, and then the statement credit takes care of it. You get to double dip just a little bit. That's 200 extra points you wouldn't have if you redeemed for OBC. Plus you won't have to worry about who's S&S account it's on, or anything like that.

That is correct. Or you can get the $100 gift card for 10,000 points (same redemption level as the statement credit). True you won't get 200 points, but it's nice especially if you like to do a cash account like me. I think the GC option is great.

That is correct. Or you can get the $100 gift card for 10,000 points (same redemption level as the statement credit). True you won't get 200 points, but it's nice especially if you like to do a cash account like me. I think the GC option is great.

Yeah, if you're doing a cash account, that's the way to do it. I personally love my CC reward points. Instead of paying cash, I put it all on the Carnival card and just pay it off when I get back. That way I get all those double points I can use toward my next sailing. To each his own though.

Yeah, if you're doing a cash account, that's the way to do it. I personally love my CC reward points. Instead of paying cash, I put it all on the Carnival card and just pay it off when I get back. That way I get all those double points I can use toward my next sailing. To each his own though.

I buy the Carnival GCs through the various discounted outlets at 10% off sometimes more. Put them on my Cap One Venture card and earn double points on them and everything else all the time. Haven't used my Carnival CC for a couple years. It would take me too long to earn any kind of real savings on Carnival. Plus I'm looking to expand my cruising horizons and don't want to be tied down to any one particular line.

But you're right. Do what works for you. At least earning points with some type of card is better than letting the banks make all the money by using your debit card that doesn't give you anything!