Where are we checked in in Civitavecchia?

sweetpea222

Last time we were there, in 2013, it was for the day. This time around (2018) we will be embarking from Civitavecchia. I understand the port has changed significantly since were there last. We will be arriving by train from Rome arriving on a Sunday morning.

We will be on the NCL Spirit...would be be checked in at the main port terminal? Or do they do check in at the berth in one of those big tent like structures? I'm a bit confused as to how it works once you enter the port. Would we need to take the bus from the train station to the main port entrance and enter the port from there?

We want to bring onboard some bottles of wine but I'm not sure how to manage that as well as trying to get to the port. Any suggestions there?

Many thanks!

It may vary by cruise line, but my experience has always been that you check in near the ship, not at some central terminal.

I'd advise doing what is recommended above -- confirm on the board for your specific cruise line. But I think the common practice is taking the free port shuttle to your ship and then checking in.

You can take the coach or orange bus from the train station, €2(get the tickets in the coffee shop), to the port entrance and then the free shuttle to your ship. You will check in at the terminal by your ship. Can't help with the wine issue but I'm sure there is a wine shop near the port. You could check in and disembark again but I wouldn't bother myself. Maybe get some wine at Rome airport? Ken

There´s nothing like a main port terminal. There are two tent structures, one at pier 25 and one in the area of piers 10-13. So it depends on where your ship is docked. At Largo della Pace there are different shuttles going to the various docked ships. Take the one saying Norwegian Spirit and it will take you to your ship. There are no shops in those tent structures.

steamboats

We just got off the spirit. We had a shared car transfer but I talked to some people who took the train. They said there was an easy transfer to a shared shuttle bus that went to the ship. Some people walked which looked pretty hot and long. I wish I could remember the price of the shared shuttle. NCL charges a corkage fee for wine brought aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. Someone said the shuttle from the train costs 2 euros per person and takes you to the port where I guess we get on another shuttle to the Spirit where we check in. Just have to see if there is a place to purchase wine near the port entrance where the first bus drops us off, or else we'll just get it in Rome and carry it on the train. I know there is a corkage fee on NCL, we're ok with that. We're comfortable with cheap red Italian wine, so it's still a deal to carry it on ourselves. :)

There is an alimentari called Panificio Scafuro Bruno across the parking lot from the port entrance/exit at 11 Via Tarquinia. They should have some inexpensive wines.

There is also a Todi's (discount grocery store) two-tenths of a mile up Via Isonzo from the drop off point (Via Isonzo 4). This week's circular from Todis offers a Lambrusco for €2,19, a rose for €1,99, and a vernaccia di San Gimignano for €2,49. Web site here: http://www.todis.it/volantino-supermercato-todis/?region=Roma-Lazio&submit=Vedi+volantino