Cash tipping bar tenders

soggy1975

I brought $100.00 in one dollar bills on board for me and my niece. We tipped $1.00 per drink. I'd grab an evenings worth of 1s out of the safe before we went out and about.

We didn't do it to get better service (although we got excellent service) or to get better drinks (although the quantity of Grey Goose free poured into our vodka cranberries was mind boggling (literally)).

We did it because we wanted to.

And I'll do the same on my next cruise.

We never got a slip to sign that I remember, so there was no way to leave an extra tip other than in cash.

We chatted a bit with some of the our bartenders: some bars pool their tips, some don't. So sometimes our dollars would to to a communal tip jar, sometimes it would go into a pocket. Some bartenders float from bar to bar during a cruise, some are regular bartenders at that bar. Floaters will almost always pocket the money...since they might not be there with the communal tips are split up.

I would be wary of drinking with anyone on a cruise who would not tip $1 for cocktails/wine/beer brought to them. Mostly because I'm sure tipping (or lack thereof) would not be the trait that pissed me off the most.

We tip $1 a drink but we don't stay in the same place for long. I'm not sure I've had the same bartender twice so I'm not sure I've ever gotten better service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They definitely talk to each other! Our cabin was below Spinnakers, so we would go there for a drink. One bartender said "Good morning" to us one afternoon and it became our running joke that every time we visited, no matter what time of day, he would say, "Good morning." After I tipped him, $5, every bartender in Spinnakers came up to me every time we visited and said, "Good morning!" Some of them we'd never even seen before! LOL.

If you say you are usually a good tipper but in the next sentence say that servers lose money... then why wouldn't you tip a buck or so? Makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because they are REQUIRING me to pay a fee to offset poor tippers.

Because they are REQUIRING me to pay a fee to offset poor tippers.

We are talking about cash tipping not the NCL service charge that may or may not go to the bartenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the ubp, I always hand over $1 bill for each drink ordered, along with my cruise card for the drink charge. Yes, the gratuity has already been paid. And yes, people rely on tips for their livelihood. I have no idea if I get better service because of this. That is not why I do it. I do it because I can, and because that is USA common practice. It certainly helps the server's finances, and does not hurt mine tremendously. I am happy to do this.