Uniworld Pre- or Post-Cruise Extention in Prague

bubbulz

We normally do our own planning for pre- and post-cruise, but the logistics of getting either from Prague to Budapest for the start of our cruise, or from Passau to Prague at the end, have me considering Uniworld's option. On the other hand, we may end up just spending time in Budapest on both the front and back end of our trip since we love it there. However, I wanted to at least consider what the Prague option might entail.

Has anyone done this (specifically through Uniworld) and if so, what are your thoughts? If we decide to just go back to Budapest at the end of our trip we can easily take the ICE/RJ trains from Passau to Budapest. Transit to/from Prague doesn't seem quite so painless from what I'm reading. (Also, it will probably cost us a couple thousand more to do an open jaw flight, so we'd really have to feel that it's worth it going to Prague.)

Thanks for any info ...

If you have never been to Prague then you MUST visit it at least once in your lifetime. It's a magical city and worth the extra expense and effort to go there. It was the highlight of my trip last year. Some much more to do there than in Budapest.

If you have never been to Prague then you MUST visit it at least once in your lifetime. It's a magical city and worth the extra expense and effort to go there. It was the highlight of my trip last year. Some much more to do there than in Budapest.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of ... If we're going in the first place, might as well do it right, I suppose ...

Anyone have feedback on whether it's better to do Prague as pre- or post-cruise on a Budapest to Passau itinerary? And how many days would you think would be the minimum to not feel rushed?

Thanks.

We just spent three days in Prague and it was a good amount of time. I wouldn't try less or you'll miss too much. We figure another day there should do it but I'd happily spend longer there, too. Food is cheap and beer is good; the white wines are pretty tasty too. But Budapest it's exactly expensive either, and we liked the Hungarian reds.

Prague is compact compared to Budapest (at least we felt that way). I won't get into the "which one is better" discussion because we loved them both. :hearteyes: Prague seemed more relaxing than Budapest, so maybe it's a better post-trip city than a pre-trip city?

Prague did feel more crowded than Budapest did; maybe that was mid-May (Prague) vs. early April (Budapest). But we also thought it was due to the smaller size of Prague. Budapest is a sprawling large city and the tourists can spread out, perhaps?

You're right; it's a long journey either way between Prague and Budapest or Passau. Ugh. Ryanair seems to offer direct flights between Prague and Budapest, but their website doesn't list availability until October. Delta also offers direct flights from JFK to Prague. When do you cruise?

Thanks for all the info, JP & Chris. The good thing about all of this is that we have plenty of time to plan since this is for the Christmas Markets trip next year. I'm really just trying to get the overall framework straight in my head for what we want to do before and after the cruise - without over complicating things. That way I'll be ready once flights open up. We usually try to fly out of MIA via ZRH, MUC or VIE (so usually on Swiss, Austrian, or Lufthansa).

It's kind of funny ... We have a big trip coming up to Italy in a couple of months, but that's been all set for awhile, so here I am already planning for almost a year and a half out. :)

We spend a week in Prague in May and agree that it is a great city and you should definitely stay at one end or the other. Flying into or out of Prague is quite easy as JP suggested with the direct from JFK. About 30 minutes to city center from airport. I as well now have spent time in both Prague and Budapest and I don't have a favorite either as both are quite different as JP mentions.

I think 3 days is a good amount of time in Prague unless you want to do what we did and add a couple of days for two day trips that are outstanding. This would be to Cesky Krumlov and to Kutna Hora. Cesky is one of the most fairytale little cities I've been to and Kutna Hora has one of the most fascinating sites I've been to with the Bone church. Kutna also had a neat silver mine tour.

I used a private guides for all our tours in Prague and it was pretty reasonable.

I have used Uniworld on two of my other trips(including the recent one to Italy) for the precruise stays.(but not Prague as this wasn't with a cruise). As you know you can do a precruise or post cruise cheaper then Uniworld. However for the logistics and getting acquainted with your other travelers I really like the precruise with them. If you plan on staying more time in Prague then the precruise stay to do day trips I could share information on the tour company I used for the private guides and I also found a 2 bedroom condo through VRBO that you can literally see the astronomical clock from right it the city center. It was a great experience staying in the heart of the city like this. I think it was under $200 a night for 2 bedroom and 2 bath with full kitchen. Was great.

Be happy to share any additional info or answer any questions about our time in Prague.

Sounds like another great trip. Happpy Planning!

This is actually looking more and more like a good option. We could stay a few days in Budapest on the front end and then have a driver take us from Passau to Prague with a lunch/tour stop at Cesky Krumlov at the end of the cruise. It actually costs less is easier/faster than some public transport options. Our flights will probably cost more given the open jaw, but you only live once, right? ;)

This is actually looking more and more like a good option. We could stay a few days in Budapest on the front end and then have a driver take us from Passau to Prague with a lunch/tour stop at Cesky Krumlov at the end of the cruise. It actually costs less is easier/faster than some public transport options. Our flights will probably cost more given the open jaw, but you only live once, right? ;)

Sounds like a great plan to me

I used a private guides for all our tours in Prague and it was pretty reasonable.

I have used Uniworld on two of my other trips(including the recent one to Italy) for the precruise stays.(but not Prague as this wasn't with a cruise). As you know you can do a precruise or post cruise cheaper then Uniworld. However for the logistics and getting acquainted with your other travelers I really like the precruise with them. If you plan on staying more time in Prague then the precruise stay to do day trips I could share information on the tour company I used for the private guides and I also found a 2 bedroom condo through VRBO that you can literally see the astronomical clock from right it the city center. It was a great experience staying in the heart of the city like this. I think it was under $200 a night for 2 bedroom and 2 bath with full kitchen. Was great.

Be happy to share any additional info or answer any questions about our time in Prague.

Sounds like another great trip. Happpy Planning!

I'd appreciate any info you can share re: the private guides you used as well as info on the condo. It's looking like we'll probably do 4 nights at the start in Budapest before the cruise and then 3 nights in Prague at the end. Thanks!

I'd appreciate any info you can share re: the private guides you used as well as info on the condo. It's looking like we'll probably do 4 nights at the start in Budapest before the cruise and then 3 nights in Prague at the end. Thanks!

Here is the website for the tour guides:

https://www.private-prague-guide.com/

The owners name is Jay. We used his company for our airport transfers, Cesky Krumlov, and Kutna Hora. We also used them for a Prague Castle tour where the guide picked us up in city center and took us by tram up to the castle area then back. We also stopped for a hot chocolate unlike any hot chocolate we've ever had. Their website is great and the rates are accurate.

Here is the link for the apt:

https://www.vrbo.com/154950?utm_campaign=VRBO_TRV_NA_HASC_paymentreceipt_PPS_hascPropertyQualifier-db88-test&utm_content=propid_text_o_lprop&utm_term=20170114&utm_source=SYS&utm_medium=email

We worked directly with the owner who was extremely responsive pre trip and she has a local manager that was great.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Brian

Here is the website for the tour guides:

https://www.private-prague-guide.com/

The owners name is Jay. We used his company for our airport transfers, Cesky Krumlov, and Kutna Hora. We also used them for a Prague Castle tour where the guide picked us up in city center and took us by tram up to the castle area then back. We also stopped for a hot chocolate unlike any hot chocolate we've ever had. Their website is great and the rates are accurate.

Here is the link for the apt:

https://www.vrbo.com/154950?utm_campaign=VRBO_TRV_NA_HASC_paymentreceipt_PPS_hascPropertyQualifier-db88-test&utm_content=propid_text_o_lprop&utm_term=20170114&utm_source=SYS&utm_medium=email

We worked directly with the owner who was extremely responsive pre trip and she has a local manager that was great.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Brian

Thanks so much, Brian! Much appreciated!!

Thanks for all the help on this! In the end, we decided to book 4 nights in Budapest on the front end and after the cruise we'll have a driver take us from Passau to Prague with stop of several hours for lunch and tour in Cesky Krumlov. The plan is to stay for 4 nights in Prague, although this will depend somewhat on flights. (Now back to finalizing our plans for this year - and learning some Italian!) ;)

Sorry, this might be too late...

We have taken the Uniworld pre cruise in Prague twice. Yes, I know it is cheaper to do it on your own, but sometimes the convenience factor is worth it. Especially after an overnight flight.

Their hotel was well situated with a great breakfast buffet and a guide who was very helpful. The included tour gave a good introduction to the city as well as the castle hill. Also lots of free time to do our own thing.

I did post a trip review a year ago.

No matter what you've chosen, have a great time in Prague.

RB

Sorry, this might be too late...

We have taken the Uniworld pre cruise in Prague twice. Yes, I know it is cheaper to do it on your own, but sometimes the convenience factor is worth it. Especially after an overnight flight.

Their hotel was well situated with a great breakfast buffet and a guide who was very helpful. The included tour gave a good introduction to the city as well as the castle hill. Also lots of free time to do our own thing.

I did post a trip review a year ago.

No matter what you've chosen, have a great time in Prague.

RB

Thanks, RB. I'll take a look at your review.

For pre-cruise we'll be in Budapest and we have the advantage of having been there for a few days last year so we know pretty much what we want to do and see. We also had our heart set on a particular hotel. For after the cruise, I did get pricing and info on the Uniworld package and read the reviews for the hotel they normally use (a number of them were less than stellar and many referenced noise issues). I found I could get us a terrific room and a very highly rated hotel, and even with a couple of private tours in Prague and a private driver to take us from Passau to Prague with a stop in Cesky Krumlov it was less expensive. Also we wanted to stay 4 nights and the Uniworld package was 3 nights. We're used to finding our own way around in new places and thought we would be ready to be done with following a group around by that point, too. That said, if we were less adventurous travelers, I'm sure we would have just gone with the package.

Postcruise is usually easier to do on your own...no jet lag !

Agreed! In our case we probably still would go our own way, but I can understand people wanting to do the package. A plus would also be getting to meet some of the people on the cruise ahead of time.