To-do checklist for right after boarding

My family and I are taking our first-ever cruise next Saturday (12/10) on Serenade, and I am so excited it's ridiculous. I'm having dreams every night. (Last night, it was that they changed our room--but for the better).

Being a first-timer, I want to make sure that things go smoothly from the get-go. So I've come up with a few things that I want to take care of immediately after boarding. We are travelling with two toddler twins (they'll turn two in Barbados on 12/15). So here's the list of things I should do right away. If you can think of other things that I should be doing right after boarding (aside from relaxing, of course), let me know.

And let me know if I have the wrong person to talk to about any of this. Thanks. CC boards have been invaluable.

1) Talk to the conceirge (we're in a GS so I guess we have access to the concierge) about arranging in-room babysitters while my wife and I are at the late-seating for dinner.

2) Talk to the Pier Director about a possible upgrade (if we decide we want to).

3) Talk to the concierge about reservations for Chops/Portofino, spa times, thermal spa availability and excursion reservations.

4) Talk to somebody about trying to weasel our way into dining with the captain one night.

5) Talk to the concierge about show tickets.

Are there other things we should do right away that are time-sensitive in that the earlier you arrange them, the better luck you will have getting what you hope to get (i.e., tickets, reservations, etc.)??

Thanks for your help.

I think the concierge can get ice tickets for folks in suites and Diamond folks. You may want to book one of the extra price restaurants and I think the Concierge can help with that although you can book those yourselves.

Also, check the location and size of your dinner table.

great post.

i know my first thing is getting extra pillows and extra towels for the bathroom.

i have never been on a cruise before so this is a wonderful thread. i plan on reading everyone's tips

You're sleeping in the bathroom? And wouldn't a blanket be better than towels? ;)

Seriously, there are usually extra pillows and blankets either in the closet or in one of the cabinets in the cabin. If not, you're cabin steward will be able to supply what you need.

The pier coordinator isn't on the ship - they're at the checkin desks. If you want to talk upgrade, you have to take care of it before you step onto the ship.

The only things you really need to do right away are things that are time sensitive. If you must eat at Chops or Portofino's on a certain night/at a certain time, take care of it. If you must have a spa appointment on a certain day/time, take care of it.

You might want to take a moment to locate your table in the dining room. Confirm the size, and location - if you want to move, request a change early. Also, you won't look like a doofus searching for your table on the first night. You can go directly where you need to be.

The concierge can give you tickets that are good for any ice show performance. You don't have to get those early - they always have them.

But, if you're on the ship early, the best thing to do is relax and explore. There's nobody around, so you can take your time and look at stuff without running into a lot of other people. If you want pictures of things, but don't want other people in them, that's the time. Why make your first hours on the ship into a paniced runaround? You're on vacation - take it easy.

Our plan:

1) Find our room

2) Get a tropical drink of some sort

3) Book Chops and Portofino nights--will know ahead of time based on what people report back from early Freedom sailings and which nights are best to book elsewhere.

4) Book spa appointments

5) Go to the deck...get another tropical drink of some sort

6) Relax and enjoy the sailaway!

Check where your table is. If you don't like the location, check the Cruise Compass for when & where the Matre'D will be to try to change the location.

I thought the Maitre 'D normally spends the afternoon of the first day in the dining room just being available for changing arrangements. Does he really only have certain hours that he is there? Also, I don't think I ever knew there was a Compass for the first day - live and learn. And that would have his schedule in it?

We will also be on our first RCL cruise in December (Grandeur). We have cruised on Disney, Princess and Carnival so looking forward to the difference. One of the first things we do (after procuring the drink of the day) is to get one of those pocket sized ship maps so you know where you are and where you want to go :)

Enjoy your first cruise, I am sure it will not be your last.

Lots of good suggestions from all the posters. Before you do any of those, your first priority should be to take a deep breath. You're on vacation, away from work and "normal" life. Get ready to enjoy the cruise regardless of what wrenches might be thrown your way.

Archived