Wireless on ships?

BlacThorn1

2 related questions, first, if you have wireless capability on your laptop is there anywhere that you can hook up to the internet for free on the CP? I thought this was wishful thinking but you don't know unless you ask.

If not, can anyone tell me how the internet on the ships works? My wife is in an online degree program and has to at least log into her class for a bit and post some things. We weren't sure how much it was and more importantly how easy it was to do. Anyone with the info it would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

I would love to know all this, as well. My stepdad might very well have to work on an article assignment while we're on our cruise, so he'll be bringing his wireless-capable laptop with him. Mostly he will do the writing offline, but will need to email the article while we're aboard. Thanks for any info!

-gina-

• 4 weeks later...

I have a few more questions on this subject. Bear with me, I know nothing about going wireless! I'm just gathering info for my stepdad.

Are there only certain places on the ship (Grand, in our case) where you can access the internet? If he already has a wireless card so that he can access the internet remotely, is that all he needs? He will probably be doing a lot of work offline, and then will simply need to email some things out. Is there anything else I should tell him?

Thanks so much for any advice!

-gina-

We were just on the Sapphire Princess (Mexican Riviera) a couple of weeks ago. Many of the crew take advantage of "free" wireless signals at the ports. While in port, they sit on the side of the ship that is docked and search for signals. I guess they do this all the time. I would bet this works in a lot of other ports as well.

Crazy4themouse,

If he chooses to use the wireless Internet, as another poster mentioned, he buys a card from the Purser's desk in 30 minute increments for $10.50 that has the pass-code on it. There is an area in the atrium (actually to the side) that is set up for the wireless access. Normally the signal is better there. You can move out into the atrium a little though. His wireless card will work. However, you can buy one from the Purser's desk as well. (I didn't need it).

Second option is the Internet café but he will use the ship's computers which would prevent offline work.

Will Be On The Golden January 14th Out Of San Juan

We Booked A Suite And The Internet Cafe Is To Be Free

If There Is Wireless On The Golden Is That Free Also Intend To Brink My Laptop

Last Year Went On Jewel Of The Sea (rccl) And Had Hook Up In Cabin @ $100 For The 7 Day Cruise It Ran Vary Slow

Stur Dayton,ohio:)

Crazy4themouse,

If he chooses to use the wireless Internet, as another poster mentioned, he buys a card from the Purser's desk in 30 minute increments for $10.50 that has the pass-code on it. There is an area in the atrium (actually to the side) that is set up for the wireless access. Normally the signal is better there. You can move out into the atrium a little though. His wireless card will work. However, you can buy one from the Purser's desk as well. (I didn't need it).

Second option is the Internet café but he will use the ship's computers which would prevent offline work.

Thank you very much! I will pass on the info. :)

-gina-

Archived