Carry on luggage???

blainesterrr

Looks like there are a lot of Ps and DS out there who don't want other people taking advantage of a privilege they've earned but others haven't.
Maybe FTTF passengers haven't "earned" those perks, but they pay for them. They aren't getting something for nothing, so I think the whole attitude of, "I earned those perks and no one else should get them" is silly. It's an additional service offered by Carnival. Pay a fee, experience the perks. It's a very common business tactic. I think it's a great idea now and I'll still thinks it's a great idea if I ever hit platinum/diamond.

We like to hike and our favorite place is the Smoky Mountains. When we come across people who have never hiked (or are beginner hikers) we don't tell them, "Sorry, the view at the summit, or the view of the waterfall, is for seasoned hikers only because we've earned it." No, we try to help them prepare to be better hikers so they can enjoy it as much as we do.

A lot of seasoned cruisers are eager to set themselves apart from everyone. They forget they were new once too. Maybe it's a country folks thing, but as we like to say, never forget where you came from. :)

I'm probably one of those that sounded more negative than positive but I was just thinking about the cabin stewards and cleaning or repair crew having to work hard in a short time to turn all of those cabins around for the next herd. Thats why the signs are there and doors are closed. P or D or FTTF have paid for permission to ignore the signs and closed doors but not all 3000 passengers have. It is not about smug sense of privilege (or it should not be) it's about understanding that rules are made for the benefit of the whole deal that includes cruise line employees as well as paying passengers. Maybe a steward would be nice to 1 or 2 that break the rules but imagine if word gets out on this board for example that the signs and policy don't really mean anything, it's ok for a thousand passengers to get in the stewards way, interrupt their rhythm and routine every 2 or 3 minutes and make it 10 times as hard to make sure that all rooms are properly CLEANED and prepared for the next hoard of guests to spend a week there? I for one want those cabin stewards and helpers to have as much peace and presence of mind as possible to do their jobs correctly and thoroughly....and not have to worry about losing future tips which they count on a lot, because of having to say no to 1 or many people.

I take one small rolling suitcase onboard as carryon and I just keep it with us while we have lunch. Cherie

We do the same - the difference of an hour or 2 with the small wheeled tote is not a real big deal to us if it saves the cost of FTTF.

I'm probably one of those that sounded more negative than positive but I was just thinking about the cabin stewards and cleaning or repair crew having to work hard in a short time to turn all of those cabins around for the next herd. Thats why the signs are there and doors are closed. P or D or FTTF have paid for permission to ignore the signs and closed doors but not all 3000 passengers have. It is not about smug sense of privilege (or it should not be) it's about understanding that rules are made for the benefit of the whole deal that includes cruise line employees as well as paying passengers. Maybe a steward would be nice to 1 or 2 that break the rules but imagine if word gets out on this board for example that the signs and policy don't really mean anything, it's ok for a thousand passengers to get in the stewards way, interrupt their rhythm and routine every 2 or 3 minutes and make it 10 times as hard to make sure that all rooms are properly CLEANED and prepared for the next hoard of guests to spend a week there? I for one want those cabin stewards and helpers to have as much peace and presence of mind as possible to do their jobs correctly and thoroughly....and not have to worry about losing future tips which they count on a lot, because of having to say no to 1 or many people.
Taking the stewards & other crew into consideration is a legitimate concern. That's not what happened here. The problem came when nearly everyone assumed the worst of the OP, assumed they felt "entitled" to break the rules, and ganged up on him/her before they even knew the facts. The OP came back and clarified what they were asking and, as it turned out, they were not trying to intentionally break the rules. They had a valid question because they weren't totally familiar with the policy since they had always cruised with FTTF in the past. Unfortunately, that post appears to have been deleted because they called someone a name. :o If you ask me, it was justified after how people reacted. Which brings up another common issue. People come on here and verbally attack other users on a daily basis, but when those people stand up for themselves, the instigator reports their post. I've seen it numerous times and they've even done it to me. I find it sad that they enjoy dishing it out, but tattle as soon as someone refuses to put up with it. The initial reaction here is a common one throughout this forum, sadly, and could've easily been avoided if some people weren't so eager to attack first without knowing all the facts. It is possible to disagree with or to correct someone without being rude about it.

I don't blame you for being irritated. I've learned that there are way too many moral police on this board - I try to ignore them, but sometimes it's impossible. You asked a very reasonable question - you just rattled the beasts' cages. They are always on the look-out for someone to jump on. Evidently the holier than thou people can't get through their day without preaching at someone so they look at every question as an opportunity to do so.

What we should really do is start asking stupid questions that we know break every rule there is. They'll be so busy spouting off, they won't have time to respond to honest questions.

A few years ago, I did exactly what you are saying, posting many of the "stupid questions" about rule breaking in a single post. It caught the attention of the mods, and I received a non expiring warning for disturbing the community.

Noted Organized Chaos and I do agree with all that you wrote, and especially the last :)

By the way, I meant to say something else to you, but forgot. You mentioned that maybe your first post was one of the ones that was more negative than positive. Not in my opinion. You talked about the risk of leaving a bag in the hallway unattended. That's exactly what I had said in my first comment to the OP. Even if we could leave our bags by our cabin doors, why would you want to? Theft may be rare on board, but I don't want to be the exception. Even the Express Debark process of leaving luggage outside the cabin the night before makes me nervous because the crew are so busy gathering everyone's luggage that they can't always get to yours right away.

By the way, I meant to say something else to you, but forgot. You mentioned that maybe your first post was one of the ones that was more negative than positive. Not in my opinion. You talked about the risk of leaving a bag in the hallway unattended. That's exactly what I had said in my first comment to the OP. Even if we could leave our bags by our cabin doors, why would you want to? Theft may be rare on board, but I don't want to be the exception. Even the Express Debark process of leaving luggage outside the cabin the night before makes me nervous because the crew are so busy gathering everyone's luggage that they can't always get to yours right away.

Look, it's luggage. Whether is on an airline baggage carousel or sitting on the pier after a cruise or in a hallway anyone could walk off with it and the carriers liability is limited.

So, as many have already posted, don't check anything of value or importance or leave it in a public space. Very rare that anything walks with checked bags because the general assumption is that there's nothing of value in them. If you leave bags outside your room on embark day, before they are supposed to be there, that may raise someone's curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look, it's luggage. Whether is on an airline baggage carousel or sitting on the pier after a cruise or in a hallway anyone could walk off with it and the carriers liability is limited.

So, as many have already posted, don't check anything of value or importance or leave it in a public space. Very rare that anything walks with checked bags because the general assumption is that there's nothing of value in them. If you leave bags outside your room on embark day, before they are supposed to be there, that may raise someone's curiosity.

We don't fly, so don't have to worry about theft at a baggage carousel. If our luggage is with us, we pay close attention to it, so it's never left sitting on the pier. To put it simply, we don't leave them unattended, except during the aforementioned Express Debark process, which I've already addressed. Yes, theft can happen in a number of places, but just because my checked bag may be little more than socks, underwear, etc. doesn't mean I'm ok with it being stolen. My belongings are valuable to me no matter what they are.

Thieves are typically opportunists. They don't care if it's a checked piece of luggage or not, that's not even what they're thinking at the time. If an opportunity presents itself, they're going to take it in hopes there's something of value inside.

We don't fly, so don't have to worry about theft at a baggage carousel. If our luggage is with us, we pay close attention to it, so it's never left sitting on the pier. To put it simply, we don't leave them unattended, except during the aforementioned Express Debark process, which I've already addressed. Yes, theft can happen in a number of places, but just because my checked bag may be little more than socks, underwear, etc. doesn't mean I'm ok with it being stolen. My belongings are valuable to me no matter what they are.

Thieves are typically opportunists. They don't care if it's a checked piece of luggage or not, that's not even what they're thinking at the time. If an opportunity presents itself, they're going to take it in hopes there's something of value inside.

I thought express debark was the process of carrying off your own bags. But the process of leaving your bags outside the room to pick them up on the pier is an opportunity for thieves but not a good on. They usually want to know what they are stealing and would have to open the bag in a public place to do so.

I thought express debark was the process of carrying off your own bags. But the process of leaving your bags outside the room to pick them up on the pier is an opportunity for thieves but not a good on. They usually want to know what they are stealing and would have to open the bag in a public place to do so.

Yes express debark is self assist as far as I know. They may have been thinking of luggage express which is no longer available.

So I usually have FTTF but can't seem to get it this upcoming cruise in September. Wondering if it is okay to put my bags outside the door until the room is ready? I'm sure I can't just put my things in my room.
We usually seek out our steward , introduce ourselves then ask him if he can put our luggage to the side for us. Typically our room is ready and he puts it in there anyways.

We are still gold level and never expect our room to be ready.

And as far as the do not enter sign goes, it only applies to others just like speed limit signs. So to all you carnival cruise cops get your whining done at home and enjoy the cruise, im sure you dont follow every rule everywhere else anyways.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

We usually seek out our steward , introduce ourselves then ask him if he can put our luggage to the side for us. Typically our room is ready and he puts it in there anyways.

We are still gold level and never expect our room to be ready.

Very considerate to the steward -:rolleyes:- stopping him from his work to service needs of people who are not even supposed to be in his hallway yet.

Very considerate to the steward -:rolleyes:- stopping him from his work to service needs of people who are not even supposed to be in his hallway yet.
Oh look a cruise cop. Sorry officer i didnt see the sign. Lol

Room stewards love to talk , try it sometime. Ask them about where they are from and about their families. You'd be amazed how good the service gets when you tip them on day one and are cordial to them and dont treat them like a servant.

Room stewards love to talk , try it sometime. Ask them about where they are from and about their families. You'd be amazed how good the service gets when you tip them on day one and are cordial to them and dont treat them like a servant.

Indeed, I love talking to any crew member, but at the proper time. I'm Diamond, so I can legitimately enter my room as soon as I board, but I won't engage my room steward then, he/she is way too busy. I wait until the rush is over and then go over a few simple requests -ice, no towel animals, I have late dinner, twice daily service and a handoff for his pocket.

I'll remember their names until just after the post cruise survey, but I don't take pictures with them, or write them post cruise, etc. For me, this is a happy balance.

YMMV

I TOTALLY agree with this part. However, I save the chit chat for later in the evening when they aren't quite so rushed. Turnover is the worst time to interrupt their flow. Lots to do in a small amount of time. Sure, they will be busy later too, but not to the extent of stripping down all the beds, doing a thorough cleaning, etc. Add in the passengers stopping to chat and luggage obstacles, and whatever else may occur, it's so easy to get off track.

That's my bad, I mixed the two up. I was referring to the checked luggage debark, leaving the bags to be picked up the night before. Carnival's FAQ's now call Self-Assist "Express Debark" and having them picked up and left in the terminal is "Checked Luggage Debark."

I'm not that worried about my luggage being left unattended in the terminal. Plenty of people around. Although, there have been accounts of people's bags being taken from their zone in the terminal, whether it be by accident or actual theft. Again, I'm sure that's rare, but I don't want to be the exception. What makes me nervous is leaving it out the night before because the crew are very busy and can't get to everyone's luggage quickly. While it isn't advisable to put valuables in checked luggage, let's face it, countless people do it. A thief can swipe a bag, pull it in their cabin, rifle through it, and return it back to the owner's door. It takes very little effort to get into a suitcase, even one that's locked. As a matter of fact, there was someone on here not too long ago that had this happen to them. If I remember correctly, they had some souvenirs stolen, maybe some other things.

There is a time and place for conversations. I would never disrupt the stewards as the are changing the ship over. They have enough work to do then.

Those who feel entitled to stop them from doing their job is delaying another guest from their cabin being done.

I TOTALLY agree with this part. However, I save the chit chat for later in the evening when they aren't quite so rushed. Turnover is the worst time to interrupt their flow. Lots to do in a small amount of time. Sure, they will be busy later too, but not to the extent of stripping down all the beds, doing a thorough cleaning, etc. Add in the passengers stopping to chat and luggage obstacles, and whatever else may occur, it's so easy to get off track.

(y) Thank you for elaborating .... totally agree (y)