Embarkation Question: how long between check in time and actual boarding

Rootie8715

I am a Carnival rookie. We are sailing on the Dream in August. We selected a 10:30 check in time. Does this mean we will board around 11, or will we have hours of waiting in the terminal after initial check in? I don't see the point of arriving that early if we will just be in a holding tank for a couple hours. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is no fixed answer to when boarding will start. There are many factors that could affect when the ship is ready to begin embarkation. Like was the ship on time getting to port, were there any inspection issues to resolve, etc. But, you will likely be boarding somewhere around 11:30, give or take a few minutes. Hope you enjoy your rookie carnival experience!

There is really no way to predict what time you will board. I don't think 11 o'clock is realistic. There is a boarding order: Wedding party, Diamond, Platinum, Suite guest, Faster to the Fun and then general boarding by zones

Since you are a Carnival rookie you will board in general boarding. By checking in early you will have a low boarding number so that is the driver for arriving early. Remember your stateroom will not be ready until 1:30 so anything you carry on will remain with you until then.

To be very honest before we had priority boarding I found it much more desirable to arrive about 1 o'clock. No lines thru security or at check in, boarding was in full swing and by the time we walked on the ship rooms were ready. Yes, potentially gave up a couple of hours of our vacation time on the ship but we also didn't spend two hours waiting in a crowded terminal. It was a trade off we were willing to do. Even now with priority we prefer to go a little later.

This is good info. I am traveling with my mom and seven year old. Our other family can't check in until noon, so it may be prudent to change our time and check in with them rather than sit with two exasperated people in the terminal. Conversely, 11:30 is reasonable. It's so hard being a rookie. We have status on a different cruise line so this issue is moot, but in this instance I don't know what to do. Thank you both.

This is good info. I am traveling with my mom and seven year old. Our other family can't check in until noon, so it may be prudent to change our time and check in with them rather than sit with two exasperated people in the terminal.

If this were me, I would change to the noon time and board with the other family. With the staggered check in things move quickly once boarding begins. That also give you extra people to wait with/ watch the carry on items.

If when you try to get a noon check in time and it's already filled, just keep your early check in time. You can always check in after your check in time, just not before. Then you can go in with the rest of your family.

On quite a few on my more recent cruises I have been FTTF and am now platinum, Don't think 1100 is a possibility.; I have got on just after 11 but it has also been after 12 too. The crowds are awful big for the early times and your room will not be ready till 130. And seats are at a premium at that time on lido deck.

This is good info. I am traveling with my mom and seven year old. Our other family can't check in until noon, so it may be prudent to change our time and check in with them rather than sit with two exasperated people in the terminal. Conversely, 11:30 is reasonable. It's so hard being a rookie. We have status on a different cruise line so this issue is moot, but in this instance I don't know what to do. Thank you both.

You don't really need to change your time to arrive to a later one. The time you have is earliest you can enter the terminal. You may arrive any time after that.