High Volume TA?

mallie24

What I fail to understand is why Canadians can book through US TA's yet we in the UK are banned. They come up with many reasons like we have more protections but that is only the case if you book a 'package' including flights etc. I book all parts of my trip myself so these 'protections' do not apply and use the credit card protection instead, I have booked through a US TA with Celebrity but Oceania insist you use a UK agent.

There was a long discussion on this on another board. In the U.S., "package" vacations are not the same as in the U.K. Also, your consumer protection laws are very different. There are an amazing number of differences (deposits, when you can book fights, etc.) These laws are not something that most U.S. TA's are not prepared (or schooled) to take on. Frankly, I'm surprised that Celebrity permits this.

I can't imagine that TA's in the U.K. are worse or better than in the U.S. On the other hand, if we could have booked a cruise at the greatly discounted rates offered only in the U.K. the past two summers, I would not have minded using a U.K. TA (unfortunately, in order to get this special deals, one had to live in the U.K.)

In the past Canadians could not use US TA's we had to use a wholesaler here via a tour company

The exchange rates were very high not just the bank rate but they also added a bit extra for the wholesaler

creative accounting ;)

Since the internet became more popular in the late 90's the rules changed a bit

Pre or Post Brexit?

I'm not saying that is a reason, I was just wondering? There is another thread about the price difference from the UK and seems things have recently changed.

AZjohn, I tried to find the thread without any joy do you have more info or a link?

There was a long discussion on this on another board. In the U.S., "package" vacations are not the same as in the U.K. Also, your consumer protection laws are very different. There are an amazing number of differences (deposits, when you can book fights, etc.) These laws are not something that most U.S. TA's are not prepared (or schooled) to take on. Frankly, I'm surprised that Celebrity permits this.

I can't imagine that TA's in the U.K. are worse or better than in the U.S. On the other hand, if we could have booked a cruise at the greatly discounted rates offered only in the U.K. the past two summers, I would not have minded using a U.K. TA (unfortunately, in order to get this special deals, one had to live in the U.K.)

Travelcat2, We do have better consumer laws in the UK but dont believe the myth that they always work in your favour or are all encompassing, particularly regarding travel bookings. When booking a 'package' holiday there are consumer 'protections' but if you buy the commensurate parts individually then 'consumer protections' do not apply and you have to have travel insurance. If you book a service from a TA or travel company and have to cancel, in most cases the TA keeps the deposit, this is much more restrictive and less flexible than the US. For instance if I book a cruise only fare in the UK then it is a case of buyer beware, I do have the option if there is a problem of misinformation of taking the issue to an ombudsman/court if their information is inaccurate or misleading likewise I believe in the US you could do likewise through the legal system.

Consumer Protections apply to all goods and services in the UK, I can buy goods from anywhere in the world yet when it comes to travel there appears to be 'restrictions' in place by certain operators and use this Law to shore up their case for inflated charges to the UK,:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

Travelcat2, We do have better consumer laws in the UK but dont believe the myth that they always work in your favour or are all encompassing, particularly regarding travel bookings. When booking a 'package' holiday there are consumer 'protections' but if you buy the commensurate parts individually then 'consumer protections' do not apply and you have to have travel insurance. If you book a service from a TA or travel company and have to cancel, in most cases the TA keeps the deposit, this is much more restrictive and less flexible than the US. For instance if I book a cruise only fare in the UK then it is a case of buyer beware, I do have the option if there is a problem of misinformation of taking the issue to an ombudsman/court if their information is inaccurate or misleading likewise I believe in the US you could do likewise through the legal system.

Consumer Protections apply to all goods and services in the UK, I can buy goods from anywhere in the world yet when it comes to travel there appears to be 'restrictions' in place by certain operators and use this Law to shore up their case for inflated charges to the UK,:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

Thank you so much for the explanation. I have read that deposits are usually lost if you cancel but did not know that the TA or travel company kept the money. I suspect but do not know it may be easier to resolve a problem in the U.K. vs. the U.S. Some people in the U.S. feel misled by advertising by not only cruise companies but other companies as well. It is extremely difficult to prove a case of "misinformation". Companies based in the U.S. have lawyers that protect the company against almost anything.

To be honest, although we have sailed Oceania, we are regular Regent cruisers and I'm not 100% certain how everything works with Oceania in terms of flights, etc. for people in the U.K. Regent includes Business Class international airfare for people living in the U.S. and Canada. However, for people living in the U.K. Regent only provides Business Class air within Europe. If you fly to the U.S., for instance, you need to be in a penthouse or above suite to get included Business Class air. I'm using this only as an example of how Regent (Oceania's sister company) differentiates between the two countries.

In any case, I always appreciate reading the differences of how things are handled in different countries. Thank you again for sharing.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of good info re selecting an agent, but we goofed and have a TA that really doesn't know anything about anything associated with cruising, and isn't proactive in attempting to learn. Already booked so a painful lesson learned. Any tips on getting helpful info?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see a lot of good info re selecting an agent, but we goofed and have a TA that really doesn't know anything about anything associated with cruising, and isn't proactive in attempting to learn. Already booked so a painful lesson learned. Any tips on getting helpful info?

Thanks!

We cannot help you with a TA - against the rules. Just ask your fellow passengers on your next cruise.

As for anything else cruise related, just search these boards or ask specific questions.

Thanks!

Can you cancel & rebook with another agent without any penalties ??

Ask a lot of questions of the TA before you put your money down

Ask friends, family or co workers that cruise if they are happy with their TA

ask Onboard for referrals to TA's

Some people are happy to book with online sites for the perks they do not need guidance but for those that need help look for a TA that has time to chat with you about cruises

check in your local area for a brick & mortar agency

JMO