Tips for a healthy cruise from medical professionals

kangforpres

I was shocked to see Dramamine recommended for seasickness. It will make you incredibly drowsy. I didn't know they still make it.

Use Bonine ( meclizine hydrochloride) instead. You will have to take it only once a day and you'll be awake enough to enjoy your cruise.:)

I love it cuz it helps me to take an afternoon nap :D

By far, from our experience, upper respiratory infections are the biggest unavoidable risk. Airborne and long lasting. On one of our world cruises, the "Cunard Cough" was so vile and widespread - the ship doctors ran out of some meds 3 weeks into the voyage. At one port alone, 8 passengers had to leave for home with severe pneumonia. Those of us lucky enough to continue suffered for at least another month after overcoming the fevers, chills, aches, etc. Regardless of care you take washing hands, avoiding public handholds and utensils, not touching your face, etc. - if someone coughs in your direction, you are very vulnerable. Sad to say, you just may have to be lucky! :(

... That article talks about "Dramamine" which is yesterday's drug. Dramamine needs to be taken every 4 - 6 hours and, for many folks is like a sleeping pill.

Hank

I have never seen Dramamine in Canada, but all it is is dimenhydrinate which is readily available as a generic tablet or the brand Gravol. It may be "yesterday's drug", but it is still widely used because it works and it can be very cheap. Unless it is very rough, a half tablet works and there is no drowsiness from that small dose. I use this small dose for all forms of transportation except trains where I don't need it.

Because dimenhydrinate is an antihistamine it can be a cheap alternative to the pricey varieties to relieve cold symptoms.

I posted something before on another board but...why do health professionals think sanitizer kills Noro? Only a solution of bleach (minimum 5% up tp 15%) kills it. Any help from hand sanitizer is do to the vigorous friction one would employ when using it - and indeed that can be of help in getting germs off.

Alcohol may help on basic cold viruses but - I am more worried about Noro than a cold I can get rid of in a few days.

I try not to touch things on the ship - no handrails (and I take the stairs every where to ensure I don't put on weight) - luckily that figure skating has come in handy. I can balance on stairs I stilettos with no hand rails. I don't go to the buffets (not a big fan of the food on QM2 buffets), and I have not set foot in a public bathroom on a ship in 20 or so voyages. If I do like the HAL buffets, I always remember serve with the left, eat with the right. I use napkins to touch door knobs...Paranoia? well maybe. But I have been through 2 code reds on the QM2 without falling ill on there. And I have survived all those grubby little paws on Disney ; )

Hand sanitizer gives a false sense of security against Noro. Wash wash wash! I bring a thing of Bath & Body works foaming hand soap on board - I just don't like the bar soap.