Alaska Cruise Mid August

My husband and I will be going on an Alaska cruise in mid August on the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam.

I have read a lot of conflicting information regarding the weather. We are stopping in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican, all of which we have excursions and will dress in layers. I am thinking jeans, lightweight shirts and sweaters/jackets.

My bigger question is what to wear on the days at sea? Is it warm enough for the pool, or should we leave the bathing suits at home? Short sleeve casual dresses or jeans and sweaters? Last but not least, how dressed to passengers get for dinner?

Any and all help is truly appreciated.

Thank you!

We'll be on the (regular old) Amsterdam in a little more than a week. We're taking swim suits but more for the possibility of hot tubs than sunning by a pool. I checked the 10 day forecast this morning and highs in the ports of call will be in the 60s to low 70s with showers as often as not.

I'll be leaving my tux at home and taking a blazer and ties for Gala nights. Probably jeans and sweaters during the day for both DW and myself.

You can get a lot of information from the Alaska Ports Of Call Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

With that said I have sailed Alaska many times and that includes August.

The reason you are getting a range of information because you never know what the weather will be like. It can change day to day or even hour to hour and certainly year over year.

Could be rainy, windy, sunny, warm, or cool or a combination of all of this. So best to plan to layer clothing.

Start with a waterproof jacket with hood. Bring a sweatshirt, sweater or fleece. I prefer the fleece.

Have long sleeve and short sleeve shirts.

If you have them bring waterproof pants.

A couple of pairs of shoes (Sports shoes and even low cut hiking boots).

On sea days if you are outside taking in the scenery layering is key as well.

Bathing suits is tricky. Take one. It could be fine but likely chilly but the pool might be heated.

Dinner dress is slightly more casual then the Caribbean but my advice is to read up what the cruise line recommends and go with that.

Keith

We sailed mid-August in 2015 and although we were prepared for anything, the weather that year was lovely. Also, the forecast for our week, which we had tracked very closely in advance, was pretty much bang-on. I doubt anybody here can really predict what the weather on your cruise will be like, but DO check the forecasts. And whatever weather you're accustomed to will make a big difference in whether or not it seems cold to you. 60-70's is perfectly comfortable for us in the summer and we wore shorts/capris every day and spent time every evening in the hot tubs. I hope you have a nice time!

HAL has changed their dress code over the last several years.

People dress pretty much the same on gala nights as on smart casual nights.

The majority of the men wear slacks and a collared shirt. Ladies wear nice slacks with nice tops or a dress.

This dress code applies to the specialty restaurants as well.

We always take water proof jackets with zippered linings. Take gloves and a hat.

HAL's middle pool is covered and it is heated.