Price of shore excursions

brell

We got taken to a carpet shop on an independent tour in Ephesus but there was no hard sell. We were given a wonderful lunch and then had the carpet making explained to us from the silkworms to the finished product. Apparently the government subsidised this place which helped train rural women.

I hate the way all the port guides have recommended ships which you know is a euphemism for people who have paid to advertise.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I am in agreement with many on this thread that you are actually paying a bit more for peace of mind. On all of our Cunard-booked excursions, the guide and chaperone were in contact with the ship if there were any time-related problems. On a recent Windsor Castle tour, we hit thick traffic on the M3 and got back in an hour late to Southampton. Since we were shipping out at 5 to go to NYC, this would have been a huge problem and quite possibly caused us to miss the ship. Our guide called twice to update the tour office of our status.

On top of that, our day visit was superb and our tour guide was extremely knowledgable and knew exactly where to go and when to avoid the crowds. We have also done day trips to Wales, and excursions in Norway. They were all worth the price.

As for a walking tour, if you are in a place that you do not know well and wish to feel safer walking with a group, I would say it might be worth it.

I have been on a ships tour where there was something of a revolt over the obligatory visit to a shop. In this case it was a carpet factory in Turkey. We were running late so it was lunch time and where they wanted to herd us was within walking distance of the ship. A few of us, declined the invitation to visit the carpet factory/shop and walked back to the ship for lunch.

Cunard are not as bad as some companies. We did a tour that included Street, Wells and Glastonbury. The coach company must have had a deal with a shoe company as we were given more time in a shoe shop in Street then we got in Glastonbury.

I think that line makes my point earlier on in this discussion.

Nothing of course to do with money. :evilsmile:

I couldn't agree more. We take very few organised excursions because we DO feel "herded" about. In the past, we have been enjoying a particular aspect of a tour and had to leave because the guide wants us to go elsewhere. We prefer to do what we want, when we want to.

Generally we do just wander around, not looking for free wifi, as suggested above, and not going back to the ship for our free lunch - unless we are ready to go back anyway, but often enjoying a local meal. Some of us find sitting for lengthy coach or car journeys uncomfortable or even painful and like to walk at our own pace, soaking up the atmosphere.

I wouldn't dream of telling those that enjoy the tours they were wrong to do them, but not everyone feels the same - nothing whatsoever to do with cost!

I did say at the beginning of this thread that I looked forward to a good debate on the subject.

Wherever such a debate takes place you can guarantee that for those who rail most against ship's excursions it's either a money thing or their dislike of being 'herded'. Little changes.

Not so long ago I cruised with an ocean line on which the excursions were included.

Those excursions - you'll never believe this - were fully subscribed, everyone went and the coaches were full.

Funny old world.

35399151063_4829e36dc0_z.jpg

I did say at the beginning of this thread that I looked forward to a good debate on the subject.

Wherever such a debate takes place you can guarantee that for those who rail most against ship's excursions it's either a money thing or their dislike of being 'herded'. Little changes.

Not so long ago I cruised with an ocean line on which the excursions were included.

Those excursions - you'll never believe this - were fully subscribed, everyone went and the coaches were full.

Funny old world.

35399151063_4829e36dc0_z.jpg[/

quote]

If the cost of the excursions is included in the whole price paid for the cruise, I am not surprised they were full.

Not every one has a money tree growing at home. So if you have paid for something you are surely going to use it.

They obviously don't supply coach hosts either and give a batten to passengers ! Again to save money or incase they get lost.

I think you have just explained perfectly that it is a cost and herded thing. :D

Edited by Pennbank

Funny old world.

quote]

If the cost of the excursions is included in the whole price paid for the cruise, I am not surprised they were full.

Not every one has a money tree growing at home. So if you have paid for something you are surely going to use it.

They obviously don't supply coach hosts either and give a batten to passengers ! Again to save money or incase they get lost.

I think you have just explained perfectly that it is a cost and herded thing. :D

Maybe they offered a discount for passengers helping out and doing the washing up possibly.

Viking is expensive and you are correct, and they can offer top class tours thrown in because they charge so much in the first place. Anyone would be a mug booking independently. Not a good comparison.

David

Maybe they offered a discount for passengers helping out and doing the washing up possibly.

Viking is expensive and you are correct, and they can offer top class tours thrown in because they charge so much in the first place. Anyone would be a mug booking independently. Not a good comparison.

David

Good afternoon David.

Thank you so much for your comment, exactly what I was hoping for.

"Viking is expensive and you are correct, and they can offer top class tours thrown in because they charge so much in the first place".

It's that 'money' thing again but let me re-assure you, having experienced it, the only real difference in the actual excursion is the fact that Viking offer the amazing 'quiet box' experience...

8855674779_089d753a87_z.jpg

Funny old world.

quote]

Good afternoon Pennbank.

Well Errr Ummmmn.

And do folk who have paid to sail with Cunard feel they are bound to use the ballroom or attend the Planetarium?

Of course not but thank you for affording me the opportunity to elaborate a little further.

As you and Balf have correctly pointed out Viking Ocean cruises are not cheap.

So are you of the view that their passengers, who appear to be paying such a premium, happy to be 'herded' as the current view seems to describe those on a coach excursion.

Of course, I'm sorry to disappoint, but being a keen photographer I'm always looking for that 'mischievous' photo opportunity with a paddle...

25526442252_976bda721d_z.jpg

Even if all excursions were included, I wouldn't go on them unless they were a straightforward transport to and from. My anti-herding instinct is strong!!

Of course there are exactly those.

I think they call them... 'XXX XXX on your own'.

I've done one or two in my time, the last one was to Jerez from Cadiz...

16749501380_d06c8b8188_z.jpg

Perfect for spending time in the 'Camera Obscura'.