Off topic -- bereavement fares

clandt

Since everyone here always seems to know the answers.

My sister in law has been given a short time to live. We are expecting in the next day or so the need to fly down and help with arangements. Does any airline offer bereavement fares? I need to fly from Denver to Dallas.

Thanks in advance!

Christy

Most airlines have stopped that all together. It is sad, but from what I understand, there were just too many people abusing it.

Try this link http://www.bereavetravel.com/. They might be able to help you.

BTW-Roundtrip on Frontier is about $300 right now.

God Bless,

JON

P.S. One a side note, you live very near my brother. He is a doctor at the University Hospital and lives in that HUGE homeowners association in Littleton (whose name escapes me).

www.geocities.com/pattersandmenus

Golden Princess Southern Caribbean-7/11/04

Click to go to the ROLL CALL!

Big Red Boat-1993

Celebrity Zenith-1993

They all do, kinda, start with your favorite carrier and work you way down. The rates are giveaway but you do get the booked early price rather than last minute.

Our thoughts are with you in this difficult time, words mean nothing but the support of others does ease the load. Having been through it twice recently all I can say is somedays you job is just to hurt and survive. All that is expected, don't try for more.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

Two MORE open Bookings.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

Thanks srphnx - your words do bring comfort.

Jon - How funny about your brother I work in hospital software and University is one of our clients and we live in Highlands Ranch (is that the name that escapes you?)

Christy

Sorry for your pending loss.

One suggestion, on E-Bay many people sell frequent flyer tickets for Southwest. You can use this ticket to book a flight on the same day. Since last minute tickets are usually so high, this may help to hold your cost down.

I had to do this myself in the past, and it helped reduce my cost.

God Bless.

So sorry about your Sis in Law.

We WERE able to get bereavement fares from United when we needed them. American is home based at DFW, so they might be good to try.....

Good luck, and know we are all thinking of you at this tough time.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;4;4;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Hawaii - On the Island

Glad to hear that lines do still offer those fares. I was mistaken.

Yes, it is Highlands Ranch! He is the chief resident in family practice and is being courted by the big HMO out there, something with a German-Spanish sounding name...Kaiser Permamanente!

My sis-in-law is the head dentist at one of the chain dental pracftices in Denver...Perfect Teeth, I think. They are much wealthier than I, but they haven't been cruising, so I have pitty on them.

Again, my prayers are with your family. I said a rosary today with them in mind.

JON

www.geocities.com/pattersandmenus

Golden Princess Southern Caribbean-7/11/04

Click to go to the ROLL CALL!

Big Red Boat-1993

Celebrity Zenith-1993

When my brother passed away last year unexpectedly, we had to fly from New Jersey to California. When I called for bereavement fares, I found it was less expensive to book a discount airline (Spirit) for less money than the major airlines wanted for bereavement fares. If I could have waited 48 hours, it would have been significantly less, but booking within the next 24 hours was what caused the fares to be very high. My siblings and I needed to get out there right away, though, for my parents and my SIL, so we didn't want to wait.

caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net

I'm also sorry to hear of this situation. If you have any frequent flyer miles see what you can book. Or look at last minute specials all airlines offer to fly in the next few days, then return at a specified time. Check airline web sites, last minute deals.

A common misconception about this type of "fare" is that the price is lower. This is usually not true and often the opposite. When buying a bereavement fare, you are not buying a cheaper ticket, you are buying an open ended ticket. (one where you can choose your return date after you have taken your outbound flight). Bereavement fares provide flexibility and not a great value. So yes, you will often find cheaper leisure fares, but if you end up having to stay longer that your ticket allows, the change fees and add collects (additional fares) could cost more than the bereavement fare would have been.

It just depends on your situation. All the best.

005flyer is right, it definitely isn't exactly cheaper. After we had airline tickets for our cruise/vacation we had to change the tickets for a funeral. Called Delta about their "bereavement" fares and it was much cheaper just to take the penalty for changing the ticket $100 and $250 for adding another stop. She quoted $1200 for the flexible bereavement fare!

Grand Princess 4/4/04

Maybe this is intertwined in the other posts, but as in all things - you need to understand that the bereavement flights serve two distinct purposes:

-those who have financial hardships need lowered fares

-those with uncertain circumstances need flexibility

And there could also be a need for a combination of the two, in which case it becomes more difficult to decide. Whatever your decision, I hope all goes as well as it can!

I think that Northwest is one of the very FEW airlines that still offer bereavement fares, but I'm not sure if you could get anything on the DEN-DFW route. Very sad to hear of your experience. Good luck to you!

I know this is probably not appropriate, but I graduated from Littleton High School in 1964 (when there was only ONE high school in Littleton!)

Sorry to hear about your sister-in-law.

One thing to keep in mind when booking flights at the last minute -- be sure to factor in extra time to go through security in the airport.

These days, tickets bought close to the flight time get flagged and you'll have to go through a full inspection (purse/carry-on thoroughly searched, shoes off, etc) by TSA before you can head for your gate.

I just had a similiar situation with the need to go from NJ to Florida for a funeral. Called DElta and Continental. They both have bereavement fares which are quoted at one-half off of full fare. They are open return flights. I was told by both airlines that it is cheaper to take their lowest quoted price.

Best of luck to you.

Sharon

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

For all the advice and kind words!!!

Imsulin -- I had no idea Littleton Highschool had been around that long icon_wink.gif

After several calls, we have decided to drive down there. The cheapest fare we could find was around 320 a piece (not a bereavement fare). After adding shuttles to DIA -- renting a car in Dallas etc in just was too expensive. My car gets great gas mileage (around 40 mpg), so we will be saving a lot and be able to stay longer if needed.

Once again thanks for the advice, kind words and thoughts! There are just some wonderful people on these boards.

Christy

Archived