Harvest Caye to Placencia

jerrib

Unless there are two towns with that name, yes, it is where the ferry ends up. Be sure of how much time the tour takes; hours of the ferry are limited.

I did see a recent post on these boards about Splash being shut down due to a sad death with the owners. You may want to double check your plans.

Would love to go snorkeling off the coast of Belize, and I didn't see that NCL has any options for this, so looking at independent companies. I am wondering if anyone has heard anything (good or bad) about this.

The company it looks like we would go through is shoreexcursioneer.com. To go to Laughing Bird Caye.

Thanks! (Going soon!)

• 2 months later...

We were there in October of 2017...it was so new that when we went to book through or concierge he didn't even know they offered it. They didn't even give us a return time, just said it ran every hour on the 1/2 hour...there was a guy at the dock with a golf cart and he took us to his business to fill out the paperwork. ..I think it was $25 for the day....they even sent me a thank you note for renting from them...the people there are incredibly nice and I felt totally safe the entire day

We will be on Harvest Caye on March 1. We'd love to take the ferry over to Placencia. Would someone who uses a walker be able to take the ferry and get around downtown?

I think it would be a challenge, but probably could be done. You'd have to be sure someone could help you board--kind of like boarding a tender--and get off. Walking around the town and down to the beach as I remember was flat and fairly level but some uneven paths, depending on where you go. You can rent golf carts, I believe.

• 1 month later...
I think it would be a challenge, but probably could be done. You'd have to be sure someone could help you board--kind of like boarding a tender--and get off. Walking around the town and down to the beach as I remember was flat and fairly level but some uneven paths, depending on where you go. You can rent golf carts, I believe.
Can someone tell me what is there to see in Placentia without an excursion booked? Also, how long is the ferry ride? TIA[emoji5]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

There is a beach and the town is quaint and pretty with lots of brightly painted beach bungalows. We just walked up through an area with shops and restaurants, stopped for lunch in a sea-side restaurant and then walked over to the main street for some shopping.

It is all very non-developed with a very laid-back vibe. The beach was very pretty, but we didn't use it. There are probably other things to do, but this is what we found.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there a way to get to Placencia without going through Harvest Caye? I am not sailing on NCL so am assuming will not be going to Harvest Caye. Thanks

Not that I'm aware of, most other cruise lines port at Belize City which is on the northern end where Placenta is on the southern end...you can take a water taxi from Belize city to Caye Caulker which is a very nice little island as well

Hi Everyone! I have lived in Placencia for 22 years! Its safe and a great place to visit! Its about a 10 minute boat ride from harvest Caye and I think the cost is US$20/ There are lots of gift shops and things to buy. You can walk everywhere in the village! Hope you have a great time!:D

Lee

www.secretgardenplacencia.com

lee@secretgardenplacencia.com

Thanx, Lee. We will chwck out Placencia then.

Could someone tell me if we are in port from 11-6, will this give us enough time to visit the town? I didn't see any private tours for Palencia on our plan page of NCL.

Thanks a bunch,

That should be plenty of time to visit Palencia--we spent probably 2-3 hours there, which included lunch at a seaside restaurant and just walking around.

If you want to do a tour there, be sure to find out the times of the ferries. It would probably have to be an independent tour.

• 1 month later...
Thanx, Lee. We will chwck out Placencia then.

Hello, we will be stopping at Harvest Caye and ferrying over to Placencia the end of Nov for the day. Do you know if we would be able to fish (catch and release) off the beach in that area or do we have to go out off shore?

Thanks,

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...
Was there a place in Placencia to buy things from local vendors?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As you walk down the sidewalk there are people in their front yard selling stuff. There were a couple little shops you could go in and buy stuff mostly wood crafts, like bowls and vases and of course t-shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We will be in Harvest Caye Jan 2019 and I am having a difficult time choosing between taking the Monkey River Eco Tour and taking the ferry to Placencia.  I guess my question is, do I have to choose?  Does anyone know if we can still take a ferry to the island after we return from the excursion at 12pm?  Our ship doesn't leave until 5pm.  Thank you!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone know if you can use your Excursion Credit for the ferry? I saw someone say they bought the ferry tickets at the excursion desk, so I was hoping so, but wasn't sure, as I don't see this ferry ride listed under excursions.

I didn't get a ferry ticket but I did exchange one excursion for another with no problem. I think they want it done a day or 2 before but they can be pretty easy going. There is a separate 800 number that takes you to an excursion agent. You can get that by talking to an NCL booking agent. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Looking for current/recent info from anyone who has done a dive (certified SCUBA) dive trip in Placencia while cruising on NCL to Harvest Caye.  As someone else mentioned, I was bummed to realize after we booked our trip that even though we are on a fabulous reef, there are no excursions through the cruise line to SCUBA in the area....