Yesterday's Journey Home...

rt86

On the "2019" thread there has been some discussion about why there are so few cruises to the Mediterranean on Cunard's upcoming 2019 schedule. It looks like the few Cunard cruises to the Mediterranean in 2019 will not be fly-cruises but rather round trips from Southampton. Perhaps Cunard have also come to the conclusion that flying to the Mediterranean has become "shambolic" to account for there being no fly-cruises to the Mediterranean on the 2019 schedule.

Regards,

John

Airports and flying are hell - and the expectation of hassle means that one expects it and is anxious. There are better airlines and airports so not completely generalising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of course there are.

When I crossed the Atlantic in December last year I booked the package with a travel agent who organised a scheduled flight home from New York.

Amazingly good price and no problem with flights.

For two of this years other cruises I have arranged my own flights, complete with pre-cruise stays, when the flights have come into range: the cruises were booked 'cruise only' before flights were announced and carry a cruise line premium.

• 4 weeks later...
Of course there are.

When I crossed the Atlantic in December last year I booked the package with a travel agent who organised a scheduled flight home from New York.

Amazingly good price and no problem with flights.

For two of this years other cruises I have arranged my own flights, complete with pre-cruise stays, when the flights have come into range: the cruises were booked 'cruise only' before flights were announced and carry a cruise line premium.

Yes you are right. I do a lot of commuter work flights which are rarely pleasant.

But leisure flights can be different. Have had positive economy experiences recently with Qatar and Singapore. Nice business experience with Aer Lingus -

Had a cold and was offered a hot whiskey with lemon and cloves - that is service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmm, certainly some distressing and unacceptable experiences, hence my wife and our friends now only cruise on round trips from Southampton. This may restrict our itineries in some cases, but certainly eliminates some of the horror stories listed above.

I appreciate that people flying into the UK to join their cruise ship have no choice other than to fly to and from their cruise so my comment mainly applies to UK residents only.

David