Photo Copy of birth certificate is valid?

Betzygz

Fair enough. My point was that the OP does not seem to have the best grasp of the English language.

English is my second language. Born in PA and raised in Puerto Rico. Spanish in my main language. I try to do my best in speaking and writing.

Again PA will send BC expedited if I send them proof of cruise purchase.

Photo copies should not be accepted for boarding but depending on cruise line and employee that helps you, you might be able to board. Not worth taking the risk. Friend experience- did not take BC to board on a carnival cruise supervisor accepted a photo on the phone. She was able to board and enjoy her vacation.

Photo copies should not be accepted for boarding but depending on cruise line and employee that helps you, you might be able to board. Not worth taking the risk. Friend experience- did not take BC to board on a carnival cruise supervisor accepted a photo on the phone. She was able to board and enjoy her vacation.

But photo copies are accepted as per the DHS regulations. If the regulations did not allow it then cruise lines could not accept them under any circumstances (and they could be fined for accepting documents that aren't acceptable). I am glad you are able to get an original in time, but don't throw that copy away, just in case.:)

But photo copies are accepted as per the DHS regulations. If the regulations did not allow it then cruise lines could not accept them under any circumstances (and they could be fined for accepting documents that aren't acceptable). I am glad you are able to get an original in time, but don't throw that copy away, just in case.:)

Photocopies of birth certificates are not an acceptable option according to the site.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth.

Thank you all for your help.:D

OP, is the name on your birth certificate the same as your legal name? If not, you may need to carry your marriage license as well.

More from the Carnival site saying they do not take photocopies of birth certificates.

Domestic Cruises (including Canada) that do not include travel to Cuba

For cruises that begin and/or end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. These standard forms of documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler. If a picture I.D. is not affixed to the WHTI-compliant document, a picture I.D. is required (a valid, unexpired government-issued photo I.D. for all guests 16 years of age or older). If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required.

Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S port), U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate issued by a government agency and accompanied by a government-issued photo I.D.

My spouse had an issue on our last trip, due to having left drivers license at the security check-in area at our home airport (and so it was there when we tried to board a flight home at our destination). I had images of our drivers licenses on my smartphone, but TSA was unimpressed. They would have accepted a prescription bottle as ID, but wouldn't even look at any copies of documents.

Photocopies of birth certificates are not an acceptable option according to the site.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth.

It does not say that photocopies are not acceptable (it says "such as" and it is not an all inclusive list). And according to the DHS regulations that I cited a copy is acceptable and CBP works for DHS so I would say that was more controlling then a poorly written website. As I point out above if photocopies were not acceptable than CCL could not say that they are, nor could they accept them.

My spouse had an issue on our last trip, due to having left drivers license at the security check-in area at our home airport (and so it was there when we tried to board a flight home at our destination). I had images of our drivers licenses on my smartphone, but TSA was unimpressed. They would have accepted a prescription bottle as ID, but wouldn't even look at any copies of documents.

Different agency, different set of rules.

OP, is the name on your birth certificate the same as your legal name? If not, you may need to carry your marriage license as well.

More from the Carnival site saying they do not take photocopies of birth certificates.

Domestic Cruises (including Canada) that do not include travel to Cuba

For cruises that begin and/or end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. These standard forms of documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler. If a picture I.D. is not affixed to the WHTI-compliant document, a picture I.D. is required (a valid, unexpired government-issued photo I.D. for all guests 16 years of age or older). If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required.

Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S port), U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate issued by a government agency and accompanied by a government-issued photo I.D.

Go back and take a look at post #7. The section you highlight does not specify that the birth certificate need be the original to be accepted.

Copy is certified copy. Nothing says photocopy. What a particular cruise line will take may not get you back into the country.

OP, I'm glad you got your documentation straightened out.

I'm alarmed by certain self-described experts claiming a photocopy is good enough.

Copy is certified copy. Nothing says photocopy. What a particular cruise line will take may not get you back into the country.

OP, I'm glad you got your documentation straightened out.

I'm alarmed by certain self-described experts claiming a photocopy is good enough.

When I cruised for the first time on CCL I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate to get through security into the terminal, at the check in counter and to the CBP officer at disembarkation and every single one of them accepted it without question (which I did because of debates just like this one). None of them could do that if the DHS regulations did not allow it. I have read both the regulations and the proposed regulations and the proposed regs did say "original or certified copy" but that language was changed to "original or copy" in the final regs.

I emphasize all of this not to encourage people to travel with a copy of their birth certificate because for many reasons the original is best, but so people can keep this in mind in case something happens to their documentation at the last minute and they still need to board the ship (such as one lady that posted that she left her passport on a seat at the airport and did not have it when she checked in. She was still able to board because a family member was able to fax her birth certificate to the cruise line.)

When I cruised for the first time on CCL I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate to get through security into the terminal, at the check in counter and to the CBP officer at disembarkation and every single one of them accepted it without question (which I did because of debates just like this one). None of them could do that if the DHS regulations did not allow it. I have read both the regulations and the proposed regulations and the proposed regs did say "original or certified copy" but that language was changed to "original or copy" in the final regs.

I emphasize all of this not to encourage people to travel with a copy of their birth certificate because for many reasons the original is best, but so people can keep this in mind in case something happens to their documentation at the last minute and they still need to board the ship (such as one lady that posted that she left her passport on a seat at the airport and did not have it when she checked in. She was still able to board because a family member was able to fax her birth certificate to the cruise line.)

I agree with you. Situations happen and this information should be known. Original is the best but I understand copies would be accepted if any situation happened. I will give them a copy first and see what happens. I will update you all after the cruise. :):evilsmile::p

If we seriously start evaluating posts based upon the posters' "...grasp of the English language.", we will enter a vast new arena for disagreement, snide comment, and downward spiral of civility.

Let's not go there.

I would never judge the OP or anyone else negatively for being ESL. I speak English only and probably poorly at times. I would love to be (be able?) to learn another language, and I think my fear of not getting it "right" holds me back, so kudos to everyone who speaks English (and other languages) and their native tongue.

English is my second language. Born in PA and raised in Puerto Rico. Spanish in my main language. I try to do my best in speaking and writing.

Again PA will send BC expedited if I send them proof of cruise purchase.

If I was rude or condescending I apologize because that was not my intention.

Seems like the rules and regs were written in a way that is open to interpretation. That being the case, it could be subjectively enforced at the dock.

The prudent thing is to have a certified copy or a passport card/book when you check in, unless you travel Carnival, which clearly states a photocopy of a BC is acceptable......

Seems like the rules and regs were written in a way that is open to interpretation. That being the case, it could be subjectively enforced at the dock.

The prudent thing is to have a certified copy or a passport card/book when you check in, unless you travel Carnival, which clearly states a photocopy of a BC is acceptable......

Yes, that's the prudent thing to do but sometimes events happen outside of our control and we must have a backup plan. Personally I'm not going to rely on the cruise line to tell me what the backup plan is.:)

Yes, that's the prudent thing to do but sometimes events happen outside of our control and we must have a backup plan. Personally I'm not going to rely on the cruise line to tell me what the backup plan is.:)

Unfortunately, if the cruise line does not agree with you and adamantly requires that you have a certified copy, you may be left on the docks.

There was a show a couple of years ago showin how a cruise ship turns around in the several hours they are in port. Before they departed, they had an issue with a passenger's travel docs - they were ultimately left behind at the cruise line's discretion. So while I agree with you that I wouldn't rely on a cruise line to tell me what the back plan is, the final say seems to rest with them.

Thank goodness for CC which helps us to prepare and tells us what to expect - unfortunately, there are those that don't do their due diligence

I travel in two weeks from SJU PR arriving to same port. I dont have passport. Cant get an original birth certificate because take to long. I only have photo copy and drivers licence. Has anyone traveled with copy? Is it ok? :loudcry:

You don't need a passport or birth certificate to travel to PR. However, if you are traveling to other countries you are REQUIRED to have a Passport. Can't leave the country without one

Forgot a few but here's the majority:

Carnival Ecstasy 1994

Carnival Triumph 1997

RCL Voyager of the Seas December 1999

RCL Explorer of the Seas November 2001

RCL Navigator of the Seas April 2002 & November 2002

RCL Mariner of the Seas November 2003

RCL Explorer of the Seas April 2004

RCL Navigator of the Seas April 2005

RCL Freedom of the Seas April 2006

RCL Mariner of the Seas November 2006

Princess Crown June 2006

NCL Pride of America (formerly Pride of Hawaii) June 2007

Celebrity Solstice December 2008

RCL Oasis of the Seas May 2010

NCL Epic June 2010

RCL Jewel of the Seas April/May 2011

RCL Oasis of the Seas June 2012

Carnival Pride November 2012

RCL Jewel of the Seas May 2013

RCL Independence of the Seas June 2013

RCL Freedom of the Seas May 2014

RCL Explorer January 2015

NCL Getaway May 2016

RCL Adventure of the Seas December 2016

You don't need a passport or birth certificate to travel to PR. However, if you are traveling to other countries you are REQUIRED to have a Passport. Can't leave the country without one

Carnival Ecstasy 1994

Carnival Triumph 1997

Princess Crown June 2006

NCL Epic June 2010

NCL Getaway May 2016

You know you can put all those cruises in your signature instead of submitting them with every post?

You know you can put all those cruises in your signature instead of submitting them with every post?

Lol.. ok so here's the thing. I did my signature from my phone with all these cruises listed. New to CC, guess it's not appearing in my signature haha!! I always wondered. Thanks for letting me know lol

Carnival Ecstasy 1994

Carnival Triumph 1997

Princess Crown June 2006

NCL Epic June 2010

NCL Getaway May 2016

However, if you are traveling to other countries you are REQUIRED to have a Passport. Can't leave the country without one

Not quite, if a US citizen is traveling on a closed loop cruise he or she may leave the country with a birth certificate/government issued photo ID (or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Naturalization Certificate if born in another country), Enhanced Drivers License, or Passport Card.

When we went on our Alaska cruise a couple weeks ago, my nephew, who didn't know that need his passport was able to use a picture of his birth certificate. They told him to have someone take a picture of it and email it to them. They were able to get on the ship. This is with Royal Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we went on our Alaska cruise a couple weeks ago, my nephew, who didn't know that need his passport was able to use a picture of his birth certificate. They told him to have someone take a picture of it and email it to them. They were able to get on the ship. This is with Royal Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good to know.Thank you!

Lol.. ok so here's the thing. I did my signature from my phone with all these cruises listed. New to CC, guess it's not appearing in my signature haha!! I always wondered. Thanks for letting me know lol

Carnival Ecstasy 1994

Carnival Triumph 1997

Princess Crown June 2006

NCL Epic June 2010

NCL Getaway May 2016

They're in your signature under your countdown so you could probably do without copy/pasting them in every post.