Photo Copy of birth certificate is valid?

Betzygz

OP already reported that they've been told it takes 4 weeks to get the birth certificate. (post #6).

No - in post #6 OP referred to a ""delay" of 4 months - not weeks --- which is even less believable. I am inclined to think OP is simply trying to build some sort of case (in his/her own mind ?) for an exception to be made.

You really should take some of these absurd posts with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Contact the county or city office where you were born and ask them to expedite a notarized copy of your birth cert. ASAP. You may have to pay an extra (well worth it) fee. Good luck!

I agree that the OP should make an effort to try this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a few copies made of my BC. Just used a notary stamp and made an impression over the city seal. Can't tell the difference. Last cruise had my original alone with the copy. By accident handed the copy to the person checking in and was good to go. Just goes to show when they are checking in hundreds in a hour, are just going fast to next group behind. Helps that Im a notary, lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Nice to know. Trying to find someone to notarize copy.

Try VitalChek. Expedite. Whatever it costs. Go. Now. What are you waiting for?

I did call vitalchek. They told me PA has a 4 months delay and even if I expedite with them it would be 4 months to receive. I did not call PA office which I will tomorrow. Wish me luck thank you.

Hey all, keep in mind that For US departures/Arrivals, especially using the relief provided by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), US Customs and Immigration sets the requirements for documents passengers are required to present to THEM, and other countries also have requirements for entry/exit of their countries while on your voyage. Although the passenger carrier (cruise line) may provide relief in the form of allowing copies, etc, for THEIR boarding policy,you will still be required to present to Gov't Agents proper original credentials. If you don't have them, that's a problem between you and them. The carrier has no responsibility or ownership of the issue. NCL and RCI mirror the CBP US Govt requirements for boarding, which ensures you won't be stranded anywhere or won't be in hot water upon disembarking and clearing Customs. Off topic a bit, but wanted to clarify the big picture for those reading. I share this with you as a previous Airline and a Corporate Pilot who flew internationally. Occasionally some boarded us and went from point A to point B without original or proper credentials, but when they went through the CBP (or foreign entity) process at point B and didn't have what they needed, it was between CBP (or foreign authority) and the passenger. We the crew cleared and went to the hotel leaving the passenger and issue behind. Your travel agent or Cruise Line employees who told you it was "OK" to board won't be around to help.

Best of luck to the OP. Hope this again helps some understand the big picture of proper documents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I travel in two weeks from SJU PR arriving to same port. I dont have passport. Cant get an original birth certificate because take to long. I only have photo copy and drivers licence. Has anyone traveled with copy? Is it ok? :loudcry:

This link my help you get started: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/applyinperson.html

Unfortunately an expedited passport requires a certified birth certificate, or according to the application form "If no birth record exists submit a registrar's notice to that effect. Also submit a combination of evidence as listed below....."

Without at least an official birth certificate you will almost certainly be denied boarding at the pier. Is there somebody else who can sail in your place? Another family member?

I agree with other posters. Has to be an original raised seal birth certificate.

Can you get an expedited passport? Your best bet if you have no way of getting an original birth certificate. Also, check with your cruiseline for their requirements. Some are now requiring a passport.

How do you expect the OP to get a passport without a birth certificate??? :o

Just did a quick check check this link. They have 24hour service. Hope this helps. Im Connecticut it's the town clerk that handles it. You know when it done by the state is always trouble.

https://pennsylvania.usvitalrecords.org/Checkout/pennsylvania.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw24nNBRChARIsALldLD1i3KB0XjsVfzWQYlX031knrWpSlUwiWnwyXpMm6MHkrTjLAFXw1LIaArJmEALw_w

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

No - in post #6 OP referred to a ""delay" of 4 months - not weeks --- which is even less believable. I am inclined to think OP is simply trying to build some sort of case (in his/her own mind ?) for an exception to be made.

You really should take some of these absurd posts with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Actually 4 months could be correct. I was born in California and because I'm adopted I can only get my birth certificate from vital records in the state capitol. That is probably why Vitalchek said Los Angeles county showed no record of my birth.

Sacramento said it would take 12-16 weeks!!

I guess some records are archived and not yet on computers. Could be OP's situation.

OR, since English seems to be OP's second language their birth certificate might be from another country, requiring extra time.

Thank you.I travel with Royal caribbean. Do you know if they acept copy.

You could have found out the answer yourself by typing "royal Caribbean birth certificate" into Google and clicking on the very first hit.

Google works.

DON

OP, here is what the DHS regulations have to say "When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate...", so under the regulations a copy of a birth certificate is good. I have read RCCL's FAQ and I don't read it as they will not accept a copy simply because it does say what isn't acceptable (i.e. hospital birth certificate) and it does not list a copy of your official birth certificate. Forget about having your copy notarized, that means nothing. While it is best to use your original you obviously can't get it. I know that if I had the choice of showing up with a copy or showing up with nothing (or even worse not showing up at all) I'd much rather show up with the copy.

You can get a passport without a birth certificate. It is more complicated. There is a list of documents that can be substituted for a birth certificate on the passport office website.

Don't know where you live, but many major cities have same day passport offices. I am talking about actual federal offices - not companies charging a fee. My passport expired and I didn't renew - totally my fault. I had to go to Chicago to get renewed on the same day. I needed to travel immediately because of a death in family.

Check with your cruiseline. You may have to cancel. Hope you have insurance. Good luck.

Insurance won't cover this reason as it's their own fault

Of course if they have other reasons like the flu etc and can get a doctor to sign off that's totally different

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No. Original government issued WITH raised seal. Privately issued or some of these birth cert cards aren't accepted either. NCL.com has it all laid out. My apologies for being the bearer of this bad news.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry but this is incorrect - some states do not have a raised seal on their birth certificates - I know because I got one for our son a couple of years ago from Virginia and it did not have a raised seal; had no problem boarding the ship.

How do you expect the OP to get a passport without a birth certificate??? :o

As I pointed out in an earlier post, according to US Government Passport web page there is a combination of other documents that may be used, such as baptismal record, but it's more than one item, and that was why I suggested traveling to an actual federal passport office with a several of those "other" items; if he is within driving distance of an actual office. I had to travel to Chicago to get a same day passport renewed.

Sorry but this is incorrect - some states do not have a raised seal on their birth certificates - I know because I got one for our son a couple of years ago from Virginia and it did not have a raised seal; had no problem boarding the ship.

Correct. No raised seal in Virginia.

Actually 4 months could be correct. I was born in California and because I'm adopted I can only get my birth certificate from vital records in the state capitol. That is probably why Vitalchek said Los Angeles county showed no record of my birth.

Sacramento said it would take 12-16 weeks!!

I guess some records are archived and not yet on computers. Could be OP's situation.

OR, since English seems to be OP's second language their birth certificate might be from another country, requiring extra time.

Now we have a whole new tangent to explore: if OP's birth certificate is from another country , wouldn't OP have documents verifying legal status of U S presence - green card, naturalization certificate, other country's passport, etc. ?

I called PA office, I can order thru Vitalchek and after I order, I call them again and they will expedidate with evidence of cruise purchase. I am very grateful for all your suggestion. Thank you!

That sounds encouraging and your vacation might be saved after all. It's a hard and expensive lesson but this experience will serve you well going forward. Let us know how things work out.

Typically insurance doesn't cover cancellations if the cancellation was due to something the traveler didn't do.

Like not having the proper identification for the trip.

Cruiiselines do not refund money if traveler is refused boading for not having proper travel documents and, yes,,,,,,,,, most insyrance will not pay.I do not know fo sure if you will be denied boarding b ut fear there is a strong chance that will happen.

Typically insurance doesn't cover cancellations if the cancellation was due to something the traveler didn't do. Like not having the proper identification for the trip.
Cruiiselines do not refund money if traveler is refused boading for not having proper travel documents and, yes,,,,,,,,, most insurance will not pay.I do not know fro sure if you will be denied boarding b ut fear there is a strong chance that will happen.